Removing Intake Resonator Box

filmerdude256

Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
New to the forum. I've been looking to get the injen intake but not looking to spend a ton of money. Is there any way to increase turbo spool noise? Would removing the resonator box beneath the intake box create more spool noise? I really wish they would've put the map sensor before the clamp so you could just put a cone filter
Sponsored

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
removing the Resonator would definitely bring out the spooling sound. look into a aftermarket intake as well. that will also help improve the spool noise. you will see a small increase in performance from removing the resonator. As long as the part you replace with is 2" or bigger.

OP
OP
filmerdude256

filmerdude256

Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
removing the Resonator would definitely bring out the spooling sound. look into a aftermarket intake as well. that will also help improve the spool noise. you will see a small increase in performance from removing the resonator. As long as the part you replace with is 2" or bigger.
I would have to replace the resonator with something?

Dapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring Civic, 2008 Infiniti FX35,
Vehicle Showcase
New to the forum. I've been looking to get the injen intake but not looking to spend a ton of money. Is there any way to increase turbo spool noise? Would removing the resonator box beneath the intake box create more spool noise? I really wish they would've put the map sensor before the clamp so you could just put a cone filter
i have tne Injen intake and the turbo does spool louder now.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
We are talking about the resonator that's half way down the exhaust/car right?

ethanmhanks

Project Blackout
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Ram 1500, 1975 Corvette.
Vehicle Showcase
We are talking about the resonator that's half way down the exhaust/car right?
I think he is talking about the intake. The box below the intake filter. I guess that is a resonator as well?

ethanmhanks

Project Blackout
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes it's an intake resonater to reduce sound just like an exhaust resonater
I just took my intake resonator out and wow.. The turbo is actually loud enough to hear. This was a pretty easy job until it came to taking the actual resonator out. It was nearly impossible to get it out because it is HUGE.

sunnysunday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic ex-t 2016
Country flag
How would one go about doing this?

Any photos?

I just took my intake resonator out and wow.. The turbo is actually loud enough to hear. This was a pretty easy job until it came to taking the actual resonator out. It was nearly impossible to get it out because it is HUGE.

OP
OP
filmerdude256

filmerdude256

Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Did you just leave the holes open? I'm sure it's not that difficult just trying to wiggle it out is pretty difficult. My girlfriend would hate me modifying it but she won't know

ethanmhanks

Project Blackout
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How would one go about doing this?

Any photos?
Honestly I went in to it thinking I would just take a look and see how to do it and ended up getting it all taken apart before I even to pictures. It was easy though once I took the top part of the intake off. I might be able to take some pictures later today.

ethanmhanks

Project Blackout
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did you just leave the holes open? I'm sure it's not that difficult just trying to wiggle it out is pretty difficult. My girlfriend would hate me modifying it but she won't know
All of the mounts for the resonator I left open, yes. They are not going to be affected in any way. I also drilled out the hole where the intake gets air in the intake box. It was literally only a little bigger than a pin hole. I drilled it out to about a half inch; that was the most room I could work with.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I wouldn't remove the resonator until I knew exactly how it impacts MAF readings. The resonator not only is there for sound, but to straighten/calm the airflow over the MAF sensor. Turbulence in the intake tube leads to inconsistent MAF readings and potential problems in ECU calibrations for fueling.
Sponsored