20ls01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RRRRRRR
Country flag
Looked online and found a few people mentioning that skid plates increase engine bay temps but never decreasing it.

Havent heard of anyone removing the skid plate on the CTR to help reduce engine bay temps and overheating on the track.

My thinking is the airflow passing through the bottom of the car would act as a vacuum and draw the engine bay heat with it.

I thought i throw this idea out there and would like to hear what people think.
Sponsored

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
My thinking is the airflow passing through the bottom of the car would act as a vacuum and draw the engine bay heat with it.
Fluid dynamics and heat transfer are not that simple.

Not that it might not help. But the only way I would bother is if you fully instrumented the car and monitored engine performance and ambient conditions. Anecdotal stories are going to be more driven by emotion than science.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Not something I'd mess with.

Get a front grille and hood vents. Because of your location, I wouldn't half ass this sort of stuff.

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There is an aerodynamic reason why its there, so no.

You might reduce engine temps by a few degrees but youll also increase your lap times and youll be wondering why...

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
I proposed this idea a few months back in the "over-heating ctr thread" on here, got shot down. I've been trying to do more aero research since then. Here's a good video that should help:

Under Car Airflow Pressures

I feel that removing the panel is going to mess with the under car airflow, messing with downforce. You are causing turbulence under the car and creating an artificial air dam, reducing and moving the pressures under the car around. Redesigning the skid plate might work. Ideally, I wanted to make a custom radiator support and run a V mount setup, it's what the Honda TCR CTR's are doing.
Honda Civic 10th gen Remove skid plate for better cooling? JAS-Motorsports-Italy-Tour-FK8-TCR-turbo-engine

With the EPA cracking down on companies right now, this could be all done and remain 100% legal in CA as you are allowed to make cooling and intercooler changes on gasoline vehicles.

Last edited:

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
I personally would send some of my exhaust piping to be coated with a thermal barrier coating (TBC) internally and externally. I've looked into this. TBCs have plenty of use for turbine blades in jet engines as well as controlling engine bay temperatures to an extent. It would be beneficial to apply on the catalytic converter though I don't know how that fares against the visual smog check. The benefit of a TBC versus wrapping the exhaust is an insulative layer that will not rust the piping.

A larger radiator has limited effect.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Heat rises. It won't get "sucked" out the bottom of the car.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
its all about positive and negative pressure for air flow.
you cant just remove the skid plate and expect the heat to evacuate from that zone.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
its all about positive and negative pressure for air flow.
you cant just remove the skid plate and expect the heat to evacuate from that zone.
I would also assume a LOT of instability introduced at 100mph + - Those plates generally assist with ensuring the car stays stable at high speed as well.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
just get a bunch of thermocouples, attach them to various points on the engine/system you're interested in cooling off, and get a digital chart recorder to attach the multiple thermocouples to, and drive it around at various speeds, export the data you've taken, and examine the temps and see if it has any effect? Also just have one at the entrance to the radiator and one at the exit below the firewall. It's worth a try and you'd know for sure if the airflow changes temperatures enough to warrant the change.

Of course you'd want to do with/without skidplate measurements.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
just get a bunch of thermocouples, attach them to various points on the engine/system you're interested in cooling off, and get a digital chart recorder to attach the multiple thermocouples to, and drive it around at various speeds, export the data you've taken, and examine the temps and see if it has any effect? Also just have one at the entrance to the radiator and one at the exit below the firewall. It's worth a try and you'd know for sure if the airflow changes temperatures enough to warrant the change.

Here, hold my beer...

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag

It's easy guys, you just need to build a fully functional wind tunnel in your driveway or somewhere with some space and ensure you have a below ground dyno. This will allow you to run the car at any speed while checking variance in wind dynamics as you remove pieces. A good do it yourself option (but highly ecommended) would be to design and build precision fans setup that can simulate wind force of +/- 100mph. You just plop those guys in front of your car and let er rip! (HOA may have issue, so perhaps making all of this 100 meters below ground so they aren't wise to it would be a good idea.) Don't worry, building a car elevator is shockingly simple... Once you have isolated all variables you should be able to determine if removing the $100 dollar part helps or hurts.

#Redneckironman
Sponsored