Number 215

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Great post, thanks OP. Just curious, is putting the vent back in just as easy? Ie. any trouble with the clips refusing to 'snap' backwards?
Not the OP but it is pretty easy to get cover back on. Just take ur time and make sure all the clips are lined and just start pushing in on one side then follow it along, push here push there, and bingo it all snaps back in perfectly.
Sponsored

Lukester

First Name
Grantland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Not the OP but it is pretty easy to get cover back on. Just take ur time and make sure all the clips are lined and just start pushing in on one side then follow it along, push here push there, and bingo it all snaps back in perfectly.
Great post! just did this in two minutes following your post. greats pics. Now to install hella horns and toss that wanna be moped factory horn

Number 215

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Yes, thank you OP. I would've been nervous as hell trying to figure it all out by myself. Appreciate all the info

fullservice98

First Name
fullservice98
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R (FK8) and S2K (AP2)
Country flag
Great pictures and narrative on your struggles! I followed your tutorial only to find out my fingers may be just to short to pull hard enough to pop that top tab. With a little painters tape (similar to removing the bumper) and a plastic trim removal tool on the front edge while pulling the tab, allowed my to pop the corner. Like you said, the rest was easy. And since I used painters tape on the painted bumper, the tabs did not rub. Great advice to what to look out for!

Honda Civic 10th gen Remove front fake vents without taking the bumper off B2EE2B1B-30D0-4951-9C26-809FC682449F

BNGBNGBONG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Anyone happen to have a part number for the clip in case it gets broken?

TheShadow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 Type R #00561, 2012 Civic Si, 2000 Civic CX Hatchback
Country flag
Anyone happen to have a part number for the clip in case it gets broken?
You mean the pop clip?

91505-TM8-003

For what it's worth, all the parts diagrams are available online... hondapartsnow.com for instance.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
I am posting this in the fk8 since mine is an fk8 and I don't know if it will work on any other civic (though I'd imagine it would be the same for the si's). Mods feel free to move to a more appropriate spot

I searched around for a thread like this but didn't find one, so I'll add mine. I wanted to install some laminex film on my fog lights but I didn't want to add the film with the fog lights on the car. First, I needed to take the front grills off to get to the fog light mounts. This was a bit tricky as I found a video where someone was fishing their fingers through the side air dam and pushing from the inside out but the shot cuts before the grill starts to come out and the next shot is the grill completely removed. I attempted to fish blindly and start pushing from the backside outward but the grill was bowing and not unsnapping so I chickened out before something broke.

Mind you, I refused to take the bumper off so I had to figure out how to pop the grill out without breaking it. I knew there were some tip of clip fasteners and a pop clip on the inside but I couldnt figure out the orientation of the clips to know how to push the clips. I got a telescopic mirror and some light from the bottom and studied the back clips and devised my plan.

The key here is where to start and it seems like the top outer corner is the best starting place.
1.jpg

You have to be careful because there are 3 tabs that fit into 3 slots in a channel around the grill opening. The tabs are under a bit of tension and will want to "snap" outward once you start pulling and when they snap, the rough cast seam will likely scratch the paint. What I did (mostly successfully) was put a finger on each and was pressing towards the center as I pulled the outer side out.
2.jpg

It begins to unsnap fairly easily so once you have it mostly out from the outside edge, you are home free. Until you have it pulled free though, you will have those tabs wanting to run on the front paint which would be bad.
3.jpg

I placed a cheap microfiber towel in between the tabs and your bumper.
4.jpg

From here, you just keep moving toward the center unsnapping as you move. Once you get to the center, you should have enough of an opening to stick your arm in to undo the pop clip (which is the last fastener) holding the grill on.
5.jpg

Hopefully this helps someone in taking these jokers off without taking the bumper off.
I'm trying to remove me 2020 grill cover and I can feel it to be the same tab assembly but I'm trying to figure out if I push or pull on the upper tab (the one with no hole/notch in it). Did you pull it hard or use any pry tools from the outside? Thanks! Trying to get to meep meep horn assembly so I can replace it will with 2 hella trumpet horns

Rex CT-7567

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I just saw your post MrTruckers. Seeing that it was a week ago you may have figured it out already. I just used a pry tool to get that top corner like krees recommended. Then I unclipped the side tabs according to the instructions that krees posted. Exactly what was mentioned...be careful with those side tabs. They are rigid and will scratch your bumper while you are attempting to remove the rest of the tabs around the housing. I used the wide flat end of the pry tool. I hope this helps.
Honda Civic 10th gen Remove front fake vents without taking the bumper off 20201012_133828

Honda Civic 10th gen Remove front fake vents without taking the bumper off 20201012_132925