Remove front fake vents without taking the bumper off

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
I am posting this in the fk8 since mine is an fk8 and I don't know if it will work on any other civic (though I'd imagine it would be the same for the si's). Mods feel free to move to a more appropriate spot

I searched around for a thread like this but didn't find one, so I'll add mine. I wanted to install some laminex film on my fog lights but I didn't want to add the film with the fog lights on the car. First, I needed to take the front grills off to get to the fog light mounts. This was a bit tricky as I found a video where someone was fishing their fingers through the side air dam and pushing from the inside out but the shot cuts before the grill starts to come out and the next shot is the grill completely removed. I attempted to fish blindly and start pushing from the backside outward but the grill was bowing and not unsnapping so I chickened out before something broke.

Mind you, I refused to take the bumper off so I had to figure out how to pop the grill out without breaking it. I knew there were some tip of clip fasteners and a pop clip on the inside but I couldnt figure out the orientation of the clips to know how to push the clips. I got a telescopic mirror and some light from the bottom and studied the back clips and devised my plan.

The key here is where to start and it seems like the top outer corner is the best starting place.
1.jpg

You have to be careful because there are 3 tabs that fit into 3 slots in a channel around the grill opening. The tabs are under a bit of tension and will want to "snap" outward once you start pulling and when they snap, the rough cast seam will likely scratch the paint. What I did (mostly successfully) was put a finger on each and was pressing towards the center as I pulled the outer side out.
2.jpg

It begins to unsnap fairly easily so once you have it mostly out from the outside edge, you are home free. Until you have it pulled free though, you will have those tabs wanting to run on the front paint which would be bad.
3.jpg

I placed a cheap microfiber towel in between the tabs and your bumper.
4.jpg

From here, you just keep moving toward the center unsnapping as you move. Once you get to the center, you should have enough of an opening to stick your arm in to undo the pop clip (which is the last fastener) holding the grill on.
5.jpg

Hopefully this helps someone in taking these jokers off without taking the bumper off.

Last edited:

X_Gen_Si

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic Si
Country flag
Thank you..
Sorry for what?
That was an awsome post I seen that video too.
I was wondering you think if I take those off can they be wrapped in vinyl? Or it would be to much of an hassle..

Anyway thanks again for the post man.

OP
OP
krees

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you..
Sorry for what?
That was an awsome post I seen that video too.
I was wondering you think if I take those off can they be wrapped in vinyl? Or it would be to much of an hassle..

Anyway thanks again for the post man.
You bet. Initially I wasn't sure if I scraped the images up. I was having trouble linking the images from google photos using the image tag so I uploaded and linked the images from the upload so they could be in order. Wasn't sure if it was done silly.

Anyhow, about vinyl...that would be a tricky wrap. I doubt it would be doable but I'm hoping the refreshed 19 (or whenever) grills look better or more functional and can be swapped.

gee-dubR32

First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GOLF R, 2019 AEGEAN BLUE CIVIC TYPE R
Country flag
What did you use to remove the pop up rivet/fastener? Thanks!

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Can you pop those out and the ones on the bumper and create any sort of functional venting or does it kind of go nowhere?

gee-dubR32

First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GOLF R, 2019 AEGEAN BLUE CIVIC TYPE R
Country flag
Can you pop those out and the ones on the bumper and create any sort of functional venting or does it kind of go nowhere?
I think the OP of this thread was demonstrating how to remove these covers to access the factory horn and some other parts. The space behind them is tight and may not allow for any real advantage to the extent they are permanently removed or altered. Indeeed it could allow debris and weather elements where you may not want it. There are a few other threads about modifying the fake vents permanently like this one and some others:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/cutting-opening-up-existing-fake-vents-on-front-bumper.27081/

OP
OP
krees

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think the OP of this thread was demonstrating how to remove these covers to access the factory horn and some other parts. The space behind them is tight and may not allow for any real advantage to the extent they are permanently removed or altered. Indeeed it could allow debris and weather elements where you may not want it. There are a few other threads about modifying the fake vents permanently like this one and some others:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/cutting-opening-up-existing-fake-vents-on-front-bumper.27081/
Yep. This was done to remove the fog light assembly to make the laminx film install easier. I put them back on afterwards. Just demonstrating the process I used to do so.

bri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2010 G37S
Country flag
I ended using a v shaped pry tool but it worked. Thanks very much for this thread. I referenced it in another thread.
I couldn't manage to lift the center head of the clip with a flat head or pry tool, but it was pretty easy to just reach in and push the pin up from underneath. In case anyone else is wondering.

OP
OP
krees

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I couldn't manage to lift the center head of the clip with a flat head or pry tool, but it was pretty easy to just reach in and push the pin up from underneath. In case anyone else is wondering.
Yeah, I think I pushed from the back as well

Number 215

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Just finished installing JDM yellow fog lights. The fog lights can only go in one way, so don't worry that you dont know which light goes on which side of the car. But....they do try to confuse you.... the stock driver's side light has a "B" on the back, and the stock passenger side has an "A" but on the NEW yellow lights, the letters are reversed for some GD reason; driver's side yellow light is an "A" and passenger side is a "B." Also, it is difficult to get cover off. Forget using your fingers thru those vents. Get yourself a trim removal tool set. Use the skinniest one to slightly/gently pry that top right corner on driver's side, which allows you to get a slightly bigger removal tool in there, and gently pry along the top and on that right side and bingo it pops out enough that you can grab it and gently pull the rest of it off enough to get to that push fastener to remove it. I took the whole piece off in order to have enough room to secure the dangling wires with zipties. Also gives you more room to unscrew those 2 small screws without stripping the heads. Repeat on passenger side. AND THAT'S IT! lol see piece of cake whew!

oriali

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
Great post, thanks OP. Just curious, is putting the vent back in just as easy? Ie. any trouble with the clips refusing to 'snap' backwards?
Sponsored