Removal of dealer decal (and other questions)

BWZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX, 2003 Honda Civic
Country flag
First actual post here! I have some random questions I haven't yet figured out.

1. I bought my car from CarMax and they put a decal above the Civic badge. What's the safest way to remove it?

2. I found installation videos for LEDs on the interior, but couldn't find anything on the light in the hatchback area. Can't seem to get it off. How do I remove the plastic plate?

3. I got some vinyl tape for my chrome delete with a little cutting and tucking kit. Is a hair dryer/heat gun absolutely necessary? I was just going to wing it but wasn't sure how 'recommended' that would be, as I don't have either and would have to purchase one for this task

4. They have some rear side window louvres on Amazon I've been eyeing. They don't seem to come up much on here. (I'd link them but not sure if amazon links are allowed). What are the thoughts on these?

5. Is there a good type of netting or something that someone would recommend for the hatchback area? Something for, say, keeping groceries from sliding around and whatnot

6. I'd like to modify my center console but not sure what I'd need. It's a bit deep and I'd like to add like a shelf or something extra in there.

There's some other questions I'm sure I'll remember another time, but these are what I can remember right now.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BWZ

BWZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I should clarify I mean the console between the seats (sorry if I'm calling it the wrong thing). I've seen these shelves, they're pretty nifty but I don't keep anything in that area except for my phone. Oh here's a question: can I use my AndroidAuto if it's plugged into the USB in the center console between the seats? Or will it only work using the USB in the front?

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
Whatever you do for decal, don’t use heat and ruin your paint. Goo gone works fine. Or any adhesive remover found at target.

Reactions: BWZ

OP
OP
BWZ

BWZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Fantastic! That's pretty much what I need.

Whatever you do for decal, don’t use heat and ruin your paint. Goo gone works fine. Or any adhesive remover found at target.
Gotcha, thanks! I wasn't sure if Goo Gone worked on stickers/decals already in place or if it just took away leftover residue after you removed them. That sucker is on there good so I'm hoping that will work.

jlamb30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan • 03 Kawi ZX-6R 636
Country flag
Fantastic! That's pretty much what I need.

Gotcha, thanks! I wasn't sure if Goo Gone worked on stickers/decals already in place or if it just took away leftover residue after you removed them. That sucker is on there good so I'm hoping that will work.
Before you use Goo Gone, I would try IPA. I used Goo Gone, and it ended up blotching the finish just a tiny bit. I may have used too much pressure, and others may have had good success with it, but just sharing my experience. I'm probably the only one that would notice it, though.

For the console...

https://www.amazon.com/JoyTutus-Hon...ae9c3&pd_rd_wg=Y8vQ6&pd_rd_i=B07KBZFF3R&psc=1

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1- heat it up with a hair dryer slightly (NOT A HEAT GUN) and go at it with your nails, then finish cleaning it with a microfiber cloth and some alcool. (DONT USE CHEMICALS LIKE GOO GONE OR OTHER THEY CAN RUIN YOU CLEAR COAT)
2- I changed it on mine, i used a small flat head screw driver to pry the piece out and i was able to change the bulb for a LED. From what i recall there isn't anything to unscrew you just need to pry it out.
3- Anytime you install vynil is VERY important to first clean the surface with alcool, and then use hair dryer to slightly heat up the material to help installation and help glue to bond, so NO you just can't ''wing it''
4- i don't like the look of them, personally
5- already answered
6- already answered.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
One other tip on the decal. After removal, polish and wax the area.

OP
OP
BWZ

BWZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For the console...
I love that one but wish they had it without the red. Not that it matters much, just nothing else is red in there, so it might bother me. But that's pretty much exactly what I'd want, great call.

2- I changed it on mine, i used a small flat head screw driver to pry the piece out and i was able to change the bulb for a LED. From what i recall there isn't anything to unscrew you just need to pry it out.
3- Anytime you install vinyl is VERY important to first clean the surface with alcohol, and then use hair dryer to slightly heat up the material to help installation and help glue to bond, so NO you just can't ''wing it''
Thanks a ton! I felt the plastic piece shift around a bit but felt some resistance when I tried to pry it off. I'll be a tiny bit more ballsy when I try it again. As for the vinyl, I definitely plan on cleaning the area first, and I guess having a hair dryer handy might be a good idea. Definitely want to get it right the first time.

DAVEEVAD

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
...Oh here's a question: can I use my AndroidAuto if it's plugged into the USB in the center console between the seats? Or will it only work using the USB in the front?
No, unfortunately not. AA only works from the 1.5A port behind/under the radio.

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I love that one but wish they had it without the red. Not that it matters much, just nothing else is red in there, so it might bother me. But that's pretty much exactly what I'd want, great call.

Thanks a ton! I felt the plastic piece shift around a bit but felt some resistance when I tried to pry it off. I'll be a tiny bit more ballsy when I try it again. As for the vinyl, I definitely plan on cleaning the area first, and I guess having a hair dryer handy might be a good idea. Definitely want to get it right the first time.
Beyond that, the most important with your vinyl job around the windows is the outside temperature, too hot or too cold will both give you a harder time.

jlamb30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan • 03 Kawi ZX-6R 636
Country flag
I’ve only seen it with the red. Maybe paint the red striping or go over it with a Sharpie.

vladucard

First Name
Caspian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
4. They have some rear side window louvres on Amazon I've been eyeing. They don't seem to come up much on here. (I'd link them but not sure if amazon links are allowed). What are the thoughts on these?

These are a personal thing, I think, as some people like em and others don't. I personally got these from Amazon (or ebay? can't recall, lol). Anyway, I like em and I feel like they standout better than the bland black space. These are not the best pics, but I hope it helps.

Honda Civic 10th gen Removal of dealer decal (and other questions) Photo Jan 04, 1 34 08 PM
Honda Civic 10th gen Removal of dealer decal (and other questions) Photo Jan 02, 5 47 40 PM (8)

OP
OP
BWZ

BWZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
These are not the best pics, but I hope it helps.
They look very cool actually, but I can see how it's not very necessary. They look extremely cool on your car! But considering mine is just grey and black, I think they might stand out a bit too much. Thanks a ton for the images.
Sponsored