!$&$!!? Remote windows , any way to disable this "feature"?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Right. A second press of the fob lock button should close them, just as a second press of the unlock opens
I really wish it worked like this... Would make it easier to close my windows when rain started...
Sponsored

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Learned the workaround from my wife:

When I get in the house, I put the keys in a tray instead of leaving them in my pocket.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
I really wish it worked like this... Would make it easier to close my windows when rain started...
And wouldn’t that feature be a great selling point for Honda? That would definitely appeal to me when looking for a car. How many times have we said “shit, my windows are down”, only to run out when it was usually too late and the rain began.
That BS opening feature, I don’t think I will ever find a use for

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
And wouldn’t that feature be a great selling point for Honda? That would definitely appeal to me when looking for a car. How many times have we said “shit, my windows are down”, only to run out when it was usually too late and the rain began.
That BS opening feature, I don’t think I will ever find a use for
If I didn't crack my windows in the summer (if it was raining earlier or rain was in the forecast or something) I'll use it while walking up to my car. Those extra 10-15 seconds of letting the car air out is nice to have. So I did find it useful. But it would also be useful to get it to go up as well. If I'm not mistaken, if you stick your key in the keyhole and hold it in the lock position, the windows should go up.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
Safety mechanism of the auto up does not work when the car isn't on. I believe this is why they basically guarantee you will be within eyesight/earshot of the car to get the windows up by making you put the key in the lock.

On a side note, I put my arm in the window while doing that and the motor isn't really very strong. Not sure why it's a safety concern. I guess it could possibly bruise a kids arm or something.

Giltibo

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Accord Coupe 5MT. '18 Civic Sport Touring 6MT (Both Red!)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Safety mechanism of the auto up does not work when the car isn't on. I believe this is why they basically guarantee you will be within eyesight/earshot of the car to get the windows up by making you put the key in the lock.

On a side note, I put my arm in the window while doing that and the motor isn't really very strong. Not sure why it's a safety concern. I guess it could possibly bruise a kids arm or something.
As a safety feature, the windows go back down if they encounter an obstruction, like a hand, an arm... or a child's head.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
As a safety feature, the windows go back down if they encounter an obstruction, like a hand, an arm... or a child's head.
When the car is off, the safety feature is not active. At least for U.S. market.

Giltibo

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Accord Coupe 5MT. '18 Civic Sport Touring 6MT (Both Red!)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Except when you're closing the windows with the key, how do you close them with the engine off? Even if you shut the engine off without opening the door (power windows stay active for 1 minute or 2, and during that time they behave like normal, i.e. they go back down if obstructed. (The feature is described in the Owners Manual (That applies to both the US and Canadian Version).

R3D5IVE

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Hatchback MT6, 2002 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road MT5
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve had this happen to me a couple times also. Both while warm and dry. Once when going to look at a used truck and had $7,000 cas in the center console... still haven’t figured out if I may have accidentally swuished the key in my pocket or it was some sort of electrical glitch.

JRad8211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CRV 2020 Civic
Country flag
This is an absolutely horrible feature. I can't believe someone would think of something so stupid and add it as an un-removable "feature". This happens to me quite frequently and only on my home street - never anywhere else - not at the mall, at work, nowhere - just home.

I have a 2019 CRV and 2020 Civic. I can with 100%confidence that the key fab is not being pressed. I proved this today when I looked out the window when I woke up and saw my CRVs windows were down. I grabbed the key off the hook and went out and put them back up walking past my Civic along the way. By the time I got back inside, the Civic's windows were down - it'skey was on the hook in the kitchen the whole time! They only way it could have been pressed is if some phantom did it.

There are also about 10-15 other new-ish Civics and CRVs on my street - I'm wondering if someone's remote my be inadvertently affecting my cars.

Talking to Honda is of no use. There must be thousands of this same complaint all over the internet. I live in the city and someday I'm sure, I will come out to see my car looted or stolen. This is a very misguided feature that should be disable-able. By no means can I see myself ever wanting or using this feature.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
This is an absolutely horrible feature. I can't believe someone would think of something so stupid and add it as an un-removable "feature". This happens to me quite frequently and only on my home street - never anywhere else - not at the mall, at work, nowhere - just home.

I have a 2019 CRV and 2020 Civic. I can with 100%confidence that the key fab is not being pressed. I proved this today when I looked out the window when I woke up and saw my CRVs windows were down. I grabbed the key off the hook and went out and put them back up walking past my Civic along the way. By the time I got back inside, the Civic's windows were down - it'skey was on the hook in the kitchen the whole time! They only way it could have been pressed is if some phantom did it.

There are also about 10-15 other new-ish Civics and CRVs on my street - I'm wondering if someone's remote my be inadvertently affecting my cars.

Talking to Honda is of no use. There must be thousands of this same complaint all over the internet. I live in the city and someday I'm sure, I will come out to see my car looted or stolen. This is a very misguided feature that should be disable-able. By no means can I see myself ever wanting or using this feature.
Go to a Honda dealer and see if your FOB will roll down windows of dealer cars nearby. That would be really weird if it did.

TypeX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ASPEC RDX
Country flag
Except when you're closing the windows with the key, how do you close them with the engine off? Even if you shut the engine off without opening the door (power windows stay active for 1 minute or 2, and during that time they behave like normal, i.e. they go back down if obstructed. (The feature is described in the Owners Manual (That applies to both the US and Canadian Version).
you can open and close them with the key regardless if the engine is on.

turn key twice to open and opposite way (And hold) to close

if your using the key you can visibly see an obstruction vs the fob which could be out of view and liable for an injury.

The fob has been discussed on forums for about 15+ yrs, its more to release heat in a hot car and nothing more.

i’ve owned 14 honda/acuras and never once came out to an open window car or truck ??‍♂

JRad8211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CRV 2020 Civic
Country flag
Go to a Honda dealer and see if your FOB will roll down windows of dealer cars nearby. That would be really weird if it did.
It's possible. I had a Chevy that every time I locked/unlocked the doors, it would trigger my neighbors panic alarm.

Dubers

First Name
Stevie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2017 Civic Touring, 2010 Civic EX-L Coupe 5sp
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Buncha Karens in this thread smh
Sponsored