!$&$!!? Remote windows , any way to disable this "feature"?

richd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag
So last night, and it seems to only happen during major downpours, my windows auto opened again. I believe this is an undocumented "feature", where holding the unlock button on the fob causes them to roll down. I don't recall finding it in the owners manual.
Has any one found a way to disable this stupidity? Or at least found a sheath for the fob that prevents inadvertently hitting the unlock button?
I'm not totally convinced there isn't a wet weather bug, since it has happened like 3 times now and only during a heavy rain.
2017 sport hatch cvt. Not the touring trim.

Rich
Sponsored

ChinStrap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Si also has this feature, I have not had this problem in heavy rain.

Admittedly, I almost never unlock my doors with the key fob. I use the car's auto unlock feature.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
You need to hold the button for a while for it to roll down the windows.

OP
OP

richd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag
You need to hold the button for a while for it to roll down the windows.
Yeah I know, either that's happening in my pocket or the rain is triggering them to go down for some reason.. 3 times now it's done it in heavy rain.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
FWIW, my (former) co-worker's sport hatch did the same thing, in downpour. Dealer dried out the car out of good-will because this is a he said she said situation. My sedan never had a problem.

So you may be right, it could be a bigger hidden issue.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Umm my manual only has 157 pages
I actually didn't even get a manual, they gave me a CD which is a pain to find anything in. But on the owners site,it gas the manual and a quick start guide that has some stuff not listed in the manual. Maybe you could find what your looking for in it. Its really stupid the way Honda does some of this stuff. On my particular civic,2017 EX-T coupe, I have to press the unlock button twice and hold it in the second time and it puts down the Windows and opens the moon roof.

OP
OP

richd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag
FWIW, my (former) co-worker's sport hatch did the same thing, in downpour. Dealer dried out the car out of good-will because this is a he said she said situation. My sedan never had a problem.

So you may be right, it could be a bigger hidden issue.
Hmmm I should call the dealer then. It's happened three times in heavy rain and until this third time I've shrugged it off as me hitting the button inadvertently in my pocket. Like only when it rains....

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
I actually didn't even get a manual, they gave me a CD which is a pain to find anything in.
You can request through that very site they send you a paper manual in the first 60 days of ownership or something.

You should definitely do so because 1: the car doesn't have a CD player and when you're out in the boonies the book will help and 2: when/if you trade in the car a lot of dealers will ask for the paper manual.

RallyeeRedAZ

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yikes, i owned a 15 accord before my civic and now i've had my civic just over 6 months and i've never had that issue, it sounds like user error lol.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Hmmm I should call the dealer then. It's happened three times in heavy rain and until this third time I've shrugged it off as me hitting the button inadvertently in my pocket. Like only when it rains....
Has it happened when the key fob is not in your pocket?

Can you take it to a coin-operated car wash booth (well, not when it's this cold, I guess) and cause the windows to go down just by spraying the car?

This would suck if rain was causing a short somewhere in the system that triggered the windows.

OP
OP

richd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag
I can't say that it has happened when it's not in my pocket. It did happen at work last year but may have happened in men's room which had windows near where I park... fob will lock doors from there I tested it once. I'm gonna look for a cover for it.

And thank slowride for the link, the online manual has more pages than my printed one. And no way to disable this awesome "feature"
Sponsored