Remote Starter Hack

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
So the 10th gen Accords have discovered a little hack with their cars. For those of you that don't know, remote start wasn't standard on LX and 1.5 Sport Accords. However, someone found out that you can purchase and program the factory remote starter fob and the remote starter function works- no need to purchase the remote starter kit! Facebook is blowing up over this and people are running out to get their new fobs programmed and it's working. Not sure if any model Civics didn't come with remote start, but may be something to try if not! It would be great to see this work for say a manual Civic, but I know with the clutch switch, probably not possible without some kind of relay, etc. to trick it to being pressed during start (like an aftermarket remote starter would).

Sponsored

Last edited:

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So the 10th gen Accords have discovered a little hack with their cars. For those of you that don't know, remote start wasn't standard on LX and 1.5 Sport Accords. However, someone found out that you can purchase and program the factory remote starter fob and the remote starter function works- no need to purchase the remote starter kit! Facebook is blowing up over this and people are running out to get their new fobs programmed and it's working. Not sure if any model Civics didn't come with remote start, but may be something to try if not! It would be great to see this work for say a manual Civic, but I know with the clutch switch, probably not possible without some kind of relay, etc. to trick it to being pressed during start (like an aftermarket remote starter would).
Very interesting.

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
be easy to wire a solenoid onto the clutch pedal switch. just don't leave it in gear or you would have a runaway!
The clutch pedal switch just needs to rest at ground during remote start. These cars also have a neutral position switch in the MT, so they can be safely setup as an automatic on aftermarket remote starts if the alarm is setup for a diesel engine (wait-to-start).

zrwizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport,2016 CRV SE, 2014 Mustang, 2011 Mustang, 2010 Civic LX-
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just ordered one for my accord sport. Waiting for it to be delivered.

Just waiting to see if someone try’s it with the hatch.

redstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T, 2019 CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I just ordered one for my accord sport. Waiting for it to be delivered.

Just waiting to see if someone try’s it with the hatch.
The likely reason it works on the Accord is because all trims have push button start. All Civics with push button start and CVT already have remote start so it likely won't work on the LX sedan and hatch and the Sport hatch. My wife drives our Accord primarily and she didn't use remote start on the Civic we had before so I doubt I will bother. What I really wish is a way to add smart entry. That's really the only feature we miss from the Civic. But she really wanted the red Accord with black interior so the sport was the one we got, as the 2.0 was out of our price range.

kaboom214

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic RS (Sedan)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The likely reason it works on the Accord is because all trims have push button start. All Civics with push button start and CVT already have remote start so it likely won't work on the LX sedan and hatch and the Sport hatch. My wife drives our Accord primarily and she didn't use remote start on the Civic we had before so I doubt I will bother. What I really wish is a way to add smart entry. That's really the only feature we miss from the Civic. But she really wanted the red Accord with black interior so the sport was the one we got, as the 2.0 was out of our price range.
I wonder if this would work for us folks in Australia, all Civic models for us come with push button start as standard, as well as CVT with the exception of the Type R. But all don't come with remote start on the Key Fob, wonder if we could just buy and program a 4 button fob and remote start would magically work? :dunno:
Sponsored