Remote Start on 6MT Self Installed

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This afternoon I wrapped up the install of my Fortin Evo-One remote starter on my 6MT hatch. While I did I have a few things to figure out along with the way, now that I know the process it really is quite simple compared to what I've seen before. They sell a Honda specific harness that prevents you from hacking up the OEM harness and is plug and play with the exception of 3 wires you have to tap. (Clutch, horn, and parking lights) I actually didn't even do the parking lights because I had trouble finding the connection. The install Fortin guide that provides is excellent but it does leave out a couple of things that the average consumer would not know. Here is a link for anyone that would like to review it:

http://fortin.ca/download/57771/57771.pdf

I also had to purchase the Fortin FlashUpdater 2 programmer for $40 on Amazon. I will either sell it to recoup that cost or am considering renting it to anyone else that wants to try the install. (edit: I sold it)

If anyone wants more information just let me know. This mod is going to prove to be of high value in the upcoming Summer months.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So it won't start if you accidentally leave it in gear?

OP
OP
360glitch

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So it won't start if you accidentally leave it in gear?
That's correct. There is a "ready sequence". Basically when turning off the car you have to press the foot brake, enable the e-brake, and the release the foot brake all while the engine is running. It's a very natural thing to do. However I'm not sure what would happen if you put the car in gear after all of that and tried to start it. I'm know letting down the e-brake would deactivate the ready sequence.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
That's correct. There is a "ready sequence". Basically when turning off the car you have to press the foot brake, enable the e-brake, and the release the foot brake all while the engine is running. It's a very natural thing to do. However I'm not sure what would happen if you put the car in gear after all of that and tried to start it. I'm know letting down the e-brake would deactivate the ready sequence.
You might want to find out before you park facing the levy.

OP
OP
360glitch

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You might want to find out before you park facing the levy.
Ha, thankfully I never developed the habit of putting a manual car in gear after parking.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bad idea as leaving your car in gear is a backup for the e-brake failing. Never heard of anyone who didn't leave the car in gear on a manual when parking until today. Also it helps if someone is trying to steal your car by towing. Just think of it this way, Park is a gear on an auto trans and you wouldn't leave an auto trans in neutral when you got out right?

CivicXander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic hatchback Sport 6MT Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bad idea as leaving your car in gear is a backup for the e-brake failing. Never heard of anyone who didn't leave the car in gear on a manual when parking until today. Also it helps if someone is trying to steal your car by towing. Just think of it this way, Park is a gear on an auto trans and you wouldn't leave an auto trans in neutral when you got out right?
This raises a good point, I am now going to leave it in first. You've turned me. Never thought about how easy it would be to lift the rear and just tow it. Thanks haha

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Never heard of anyone who didn't leave the car in gear on a manual when parking until today.
Weird. I've been driving manuals off and on for 24 years and have always left them in neutral when parking. Never even thought about it.

OP
OP
360glitch

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I suppose you could easily tow that auto transmission car by picking up whichever end the drive wheels are on as I'm sure 99% of the time the e-brake is not engaged by most drivers. Roll-away is certainly what would happen if the e-brake failed. That being said, I've daily drove a standard transmission for 4 years or so and have only left it in gear when on an incline. Haven't lost one yet but I'm sure it helps that it's been newer vehicles. I was a bit hesitant at first with the electronic e-brake though. All that being said, if the car is parked on fairly level ground it is a risk I've decided to take.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This raises a good point, I am now going to leave it in first. You've turned me. Never thought about how easy it would be to lift the rear and just tow it. Thanks haha
Glad I could help someone. It's mostly just about having a backup for your e-brake as most e-brakes are really not that strong. There are times where I though I pulled the handle enough to keep the car where it was on a minimal incline and the second I started to get out the car started rolling back.

Weird. I've been driving manuals off and on for 24 years and have always left them in neutral when parking. Never even thought about it.
I'm surprised you've never had a car start rolling away in that time. I've driven stick for about the same amount of time and was always taught to put the car in first or reverse before leaving.

Milo & Miles

Is there anything that won't fit into this car?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatch
On a related tangent, I become almost irrationally irritated when I see automatic drivers NEVER engage their parking brake and let the weight of the car bear down on the poor parking pawl.

jaywildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Thank you so much for sharing! I'm looking for a remote starter solution for the upcoming Canadian winter. This 3 x lock remote start function Fortin provided REALLY REALLY catched my eye! Then I read the detail, it says for automatic transmission vehicle... :banghead:

OP
OP
360glitch

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you so much for sharing! I'm looking for a remote starter solution for the upcoming Canadian winter. This 3 x lock remote start function Fortin provided REALLY REALLY catched my eye! Then I read the detail, it says for automatic transmission vehicle... :banghead:
The Fortin system I used is compatible with both automatic and manual transmission Civics. The remote start command I currently have setup is "Lock Unlock Lock". Works great!

erik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Does anyone have experience with Viper or Omega systems?
Sponsored