Relocating the block heater cord

sniper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
Why not for overnight use ? That's when it's the coldest
I just got home around 2am, have work at 10. I tend to go out/get home late so the car rarely sits for 10+ hours, I have no where to plug in at work/shopping, so I figure overnight doesn't make much of a difference.
Sponsored

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I just got home around 2am, have work at 10. I tend to go out/get home late so the car rarely sits for 10+ hours, I have no where to plug in at work/shopping, so I figure overnight doesn't make much of a difference.
Almost all of the wear an Engine gets is from cold starts. If an engine was never allowed to cool off, it would pretty much run forever. I've read studies that show cylinder wear is 8 times higher below 140 degrees than above it. For some reason, for the cylinder bores at least, wear almost stops when above this number. Everyone here seems interested in getting the most life possible out of their engines, why not have them spend the least amount of time below 140 as possible?

Xelcreeck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic Lx 2017 Hatch
Can any one post a pick about where can fix the block heater if i would like to install it by myself??

sherwoodhonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
That's weird,. at first i though it was the same spot as mine, but no. I got my Civic in Edmonton, so it had a block heater, but my cord sticks out of the bottom half of the fascia. I was able to tuck it inside with ease.

I'm sure you'd be able to fish an arm into the engine compartment and feed it elsewhere. If not, I'd take it to the dealer. Come to think about it, every Civic at teh dealership i used had the cord protruding from the bottom, as mine does.

Block heaters are not required by law, but in areas where it really gets cold, most new cars have them already installed. The 5 dealerships i went to in Edmonton this summer all said they put block heaters in all the vehicles they sell. On Vancouver Island, where it rarely gets below -10c, I've seen many new cars without one.
Mine is the same, maybe I will see you out on Anthony Henday??

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm in Toronto, and am wondering if I'm able to install a block heater on my 2017 Si. Has anyone else done this yet? I would assume the part number is the same as the 1.5T?

sniper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
Did anyone install it themselves? I'm having the hardest time accessing the bolt and drain plug... I gave up :(

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Did anyone install it themselves? I'm having the hardest time accessing the bolt and drain plug... I gave up :(
i did mine myself, but on a 2.4 Accord. Had lots of room and was very easy. Don't know about your cars access though? Good Luck

HondaDNA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Hx, 17 Sport
Country flag
Yes, it's an option that your dealer would install if you wanted. It's not going to do anything to improve your MPG and it will not warm up the interior of your car quicker either. Being that you are from Virginia, I don't think you'll find much use for it. It doesn't get that cold there to do you any good. Your temperatures would need to drop below -10 F before you would see any use out of it.

I'm in Ohio this is my ECT after a 20F night. It has in fact helped MPG and warm up times

Honda Civic 10th gen Relocating the block heater cord 20180109_071701

Honda Civic 10th gen Relocating the block heater cord 20180108_185340

sniper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
I'm in Ohio this is my ECT after a 20F night. It has in fact helped MPG and warm up times

20180109_071701.jpg

20180108_185340.jpg
Do you leave it plugged in all night? How long? I've been turning mine on around 6am for a 9:30am drive. Car still cold when I start driving, but I think it warms up faster.

HondaDNA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Hx, 17 Sport
Country flag
Do you leave it plugged in all night? How long? I've been turning mine on around 6am for a 9:30am drive. Car still cold when I start driving, but I think it warms up faster.
Yes I leave it plugged in all night, I have a thermostat in my outside outlet that shuts it off above 35F

2020LXhatch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic lx hatch
Country flag
I live in Canada, so my civic came with a block heater installed. However, the cord was routed through the upper front grille, like in my attached photo. It's been bothering me by how it just sticks out the front end like that.

Has anyone tried to relocate the block heater cord, to another more hidden location?

IMG_20160320_184151.jpg
Have you noticed much of a difference using the block heater? I think this winter I will start using mine since it's usually halfway to work before the little 1.5L starts to warm up

Joev492

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Interested in if you guys think a block heater is worth it for downstate NY. Probably 2 months out of the year temperatures are consistently around / below 25F

grizzly42

First Name
f
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic x prestige
Country flag
Anyone which did the work himself has pictures how to lead out the electric cord of the blockheater?
I'd like to do it w/out removing the bumper but no idea how and where to lead out ...

The threadopeners spot is no option for me. But I am also afraid to disturb sensoring. At the place where the radar is located no option I think ...
Sponsored