Relocating the block heater cord

WOPcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I live in Canada, so my civic came with a block heater installed. However, the cord was routed through the upper front grille, like in my attached photo. It's been bothering me by how it just sticks out the front end like that.

Has anyone tried to relocate the block heater cord, to another more hidden location?

Honda Civic 10th gen Relocating the block heater cord IMG_20160320_184151
Sponsored

Tearhammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 6 speed LX Civic Blue, 2013 Chevy Sonic LT hatch
I think I will just snip the zip tie and stuff it in. The cord is super long like a snake in there.

whaaaaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L, Black w/ Ivory interior
Country flag
Wow that's actually kind of weird they would do it like that.

jdubau55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T MSM
Country flag
Is this a factory option? I could see it being useful around here in the cold winter months especially if it boosts MPG and interior temps when remote starting.

bobbyboogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring - MSM
Country flag
Is this a factory option? I could see it being useful around here in the cold winter months especially if it boosts MPG and interior temps when remote starting.
Yes, it's an option that your dealer would install if you wanted. It's not going to do anything to improve your MPG and it will not warm up the interior of your car quicker either. Being that you are from Virginia, I don't think you'll find much use for it. It doesn't get that cold there to do you any good. Your temperatures would need to drop below -10 F before you would see any use out of it.

SPMcGraw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Classic, 2020 Civic Touring
Country flag
I live in Canada, so my civic came with a block heater installed. However, the cord was routed through the upper front grille, like in my attached photo. It's been bothering me by how it just sticks out the front end like that.

Has anyone tried to relocate the block heater cord, to another more hidden location?

IMG_20160320_184151.jpg
Is this standard for Civics sold in Canada?

OP
OP
WOPcivic

WOPcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Is this standard for Civics sold in Canada?
I believe it's supposed to be a dealer add on option, but where I'm at, I hadn't seen a single civic without one so far. I guess it might be standard in Canada that way.

I've since managed to move my bock heater cord to the bottom opening of the front bumper, but I don't have any photos to share at the moment.

Abramumum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic sedan LX CVT
That's weird,. at first i though it was the same spot as mine, but no. I got my Civic in Edmonton, so it had a block heater, but my cord sticks out of the bottom half of the fascia. I was able to tuck it inside with ease.

I'm sure you'd be able to fish an arm into the engine compartment and feed it elsewhere. If not, I'd take it to the dealer. Come to think about it, every Civic at teh dealership i used had the cord protruding from the bottom, as mine does.

Block heaters are not required by law, but in areas where it really gets cold, most new cars have them already installed. The 5 dealerships i went to in Edmonton this summer all said they put block heaters in all the vehicles they sell. On Vancouver Island, where it rarely gets below -10c, I've seen many new cars without one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WOPcivic

WOPcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
That's weird,. at first i though it was the same spot as mine, but no. I got my Civic in Edmonton, so it had a block heater, but my cord sticks out of the bottom half of the fascia. I was able to tuck it inside with ease.

I'm sure you'd be able to fish an arm into the engine compartment and feed it elsewhere. If not, I'd take it to the dealer. Come to think about it, every Civic at teh dealership i used had the cord protruding from the bottom, as mine does.

Block heaters are not required by law, but in areas where it really gets cold, most new cars have them already installed. The 5 dealerships i went to in Edmonton this summer all said they put block heaters in all the vehicles they sell. On Vancouver Island, where it rarely gets below -10c, I've seen many new cars without one.
When you tucked it inside, does it rattle around while you drive? And did you just push it to the side so it's out of view? Since it's not being tied down to something. I couldn't figure out how to secure it in such a way where I can both tuck it away and secure it, without it becoming non accessible. I forgot to also mention that I had installed a mesh to protect the radiator, so that might have limited my options.

Abramumum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic sedan LX CVT
No rattle that i can ever hear. I haven't touched it since i got the car in June, and 10k km later, i can still see it sitting exactly where i left it. You convinced me to go outside and look.
I just pushed it in plug first, and i can reach in a couple centimeters and grab the loop. It's between the bottom 2 pieces .

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, it's an option that your dealer would install if you wanted. It's not going to do anything to improve your MPG and it will not warm up the interior of your car quicker either. Being that you are from Virginia, I don't think you'll find much use for it. It doesn't get that cold there to do you any good. Your temperatures would need to drop below -10 F before you would see any use out of it.
I installed my engine heater myself. Was very easy. Honda builds a threaded plug into the engine block just for the heater. Just drain the coolant into a clean catch pan, unscrew the plug that is in the block, screw in the heater, route the cord to where you prefer it to be placed, pour the coolant back in, and you're done. My Honda has to stay outside at night, because my Mustang is in the garage. With overnight temps in the mid 20's, my engine was 105F in the morning. Doing this saves wear and tear not only on your engine from avoiding cold starts, but also on your starter and battery, since warm engines turn over easier than cold ones. Another plus is you get warm air out of your defroster almost immediately. Clearing the windshield much quicker, and heating the cabin as well. You are off and going much sooner on those cold frosty mornings....
I have always had block heaters on my diesels, but thought I would try it on my new Honda as well. Was so easy and cheap to install, thought I would go see if Toyota had the same thing for my wife's 2015 Highlander? Sadly, no. I could put in an aftermarket freeze plug heater, but I don't like those, and just really appreciated Honda's built in quick heater port! Kudos Honda!

sniper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
I believe it's supposed to be a dealer add on option, but where I'm at, I hadn't seen a single civic without one so far. I guess it might be standard in Canada that way.

I've since managed to move my bock heater cord to the bottom opening of the front bumper, but I don't have any photos to share at the moment.
Where you at? Wasn't standard in Toronto.

What do you do for block heaters when not at home? Like, when at work or at a mall and don't have a plug handy. I just don't know if I want to get one for overnight use only.

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

What do you do for block heaters when not at home? Like, when at work or at a mall and don't have a plug handy. I just don't know if I want to get one for overnight use only.
Why not for overnight use ? That's when it's the coldest

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

When it's below freezing, I plug in at work about an hour before going home

Abramumum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic sedan LX CVT
It's not as necessary, since this thing uses synthetic oil.. I'm in northern Alberta, and the only time it was slow to stsrt is at - 30c. But around that temperature , it most definitely helps.

I was talking to a friend from Georgia the other day, and i told him I'd be right back because I had to plug my car in. He assumed i had an electric, and after telling him about my block heater , he was dumbfounded about the concept. I had to explain it to him. Poor sweet child of summer....
Sponsored