Reliability of fbo and a tune

SpicyMcFatburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1976 Datsun 280Z
Country flag
1. Tuners are such a small subset of owners that any claim is anectodal, including yours regarding "safe" OTS tunes. Especially on a gen that is only what, 5 years old?

But show me, across multiple platforms, high mileage examples of daily driven turbocharged cars that have been tuned for many years and required no more than basic maintenance. Again, even with shit like VW, you can find stock GTIs with 120K miles after 10 years that have been relatively trouble free dailys. How many tuned examples can you find like that, if any?
I come from the DSM/Evo/STI world and I completely agree with this take. I moderated a very large Evo forum for several years and nearly all of us who tuned our cars eventually saw issues. The more substantial the modifications, the more likely there was a major issue. And, for "lightly modified" or "conservatively tuned" guys, off the shelf maps were one of the most common reasons for engine failure.

I made it to 80k miles on my Evo, with about 20k of those going beyond bolt-ons, before my FIRST (of three) blown motor. I was a lucky one, honestly.

And don't even get me started on the number of people who did intakes, intercoolers, and exhausts on 2010+ Evo Xs having major issues due to a minor change in Mitsubishi's stock ECU map versus those of us with 2008s who had ZERO issues because the cars shipped stupid rich from the factory. I have purposefully not followed the Honda tuning scene as closely to avoid the temptation of going full stupid on my CTR, so I'm not sure how the ECU maps have evolved over the past few years (if at all).

That's all a long way to say that the above taker is correct; the more you mod/tune, the higher the likelihood is that you don't make it to high mileage in the first place.
Sponsored