Release: Refreshed 2020 Civic Type R Makes US Debut at Chicago Auto Show

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
The car is silly looking. Being very stereotypical, many older guys don’t like the silly looking, F&F look.

But I bought one because it drives great, and the styling has ‘grown’ on me. But, I had a first gen Ducati Multistrada for a long time. Seen the styling of that bike...?
Despite being in my late 30s I got this car. I grew up in the 80s 90s where sports/super cars had character. Being able to drive something similar with supercars of my teenge, low cost of ownership, still relevant performance, is amazing.
It's like being a kid and get the car you like, except now is a real one. I don't care whether others praise or look down on it.
Nowadays everything needs to be too compliant, politically correct not to offend/put off smb. Pleasing as many to make more money out of it. The results are lack-luster products. Type r is different and I thank Honda for resisting this complacent current.
Sponsored

Last edited:

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hope they offer this color in Canada, considering we only got CBP and CW for the first year and RR for half of 2018.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Still no price announcement...Honda is funny
I don't remember if I posted much about it on here, I may have made a post on the "What did you do" thread, but this happened a 2 weeks ago; nothing too major to be honest. But someone came into my lane, drove me off the road into the shoulder. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue, I just either pass them or slow down to get behind them depending on where I am in relation to them and their traveling speed (whichever seems safer to do). No such luck in this situation, there was a semi truck parked on the shoulder of the road, maybe about 100 ft ahead of me. Probably won't stop in time, and if I hit the truck, I'm at fault. I'm at his passenger door by the time I'm in the shoulder. I'm honking my horn trying to get his attention so he moves back over, he's slowing down but not moving over (which doesn't help the situation). So it's either him or the truck, I choose him (safer and I'm not at fault). Driver side rear fender flare and bumper make contact. Van decides not to pull over, I chase him down to get his plate number and the company that owns said van (it was a company work van) before pulling over and waiting for the cops to arrive.

For a 50-ish MPH collision damage was very minor and is mainly only cosmetic. Fender flare will be replaced (130-200 dollar part, painted from factory) and the rear bumper needs to be repaired (there is a dent) and repainted. I dropped the car off Wednesday morning, they said to expect it back tomorrow.

Edit: I've had no luck with this car since I got it. Besides the obvious (rock chips) I got backed into 2 weeks after getting the car, a rock chip that cracked the windshield and chipped my A-pillar and roof, now this.
Don’t worry dude, my luck with this car has been crap too. Two accidents, misaligned bumper gaps, rock chips galore, agh. Here’s to hoping both our bad luck is over ;)

FriscoBrah

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
Don’t worry dude, my luck with this car has been crap too. Two accidents, misaligned bumper gaps, rock chips galore, agh. Here’s to hoping both our bad luck is over ;)
Ouch. Thankfully almost all of the rocks I've encountered have hit the front lip which is much easier and cheaper to replace.

Wheel_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Passport Elite, '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
Country flag
Despite being in my late 30s I got this car. I grew up in the 80s 90s where sports/super cars had character. Being able to drive something similar with supercars of my teenge, low cost of ownership, still relevant performance, is amazing.
It's like being a kid and get the car you like, except now is a real one. I don't care whether others praise or look down on it.
Nowadays everything needs to be too compliant, politically correct not to offend/put off smb. Pleasing as many to make more money out of it. The results are lack-luster products. Type r is different and I thank Honda for resisting this complacent current.
Late 30s. Hell, I'm in my early 50s and I'm going to get one. Been waiting 3 yrs futilely for MSRP so now I'm just going to get a 2020. My wife and daughter of course think I'm insane. My coworkers make fun of me. I don't care. I've driven it, so I know how good it is and how much it reminds me of why I fell in love with cars and with Honda. I have one ally; my son loves it!

roflitzjinno

First Name
Jinno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Country flag
Seeing the videos of the color now. I can honestly say I would probably trade in my CW for the Boost Blue. The color is so vibrant, probably even brighter than how Apex Blue was for the S2000 CR, and I love that color. Still waiting to see what the pricing is with all the new add ons. If the rumors are true that it may be close to $40K MSRP I will be glad I got my 19.

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
I'll be there Saturday if all goes to plan, hopefully I'll actually have my CTR back by then (body shop :( ). The blue looks a bit bolder in the video then it does in the photos. I was expecting something closer to an electric blue (Focus RS), this one looks a like the saturation is a little stronger, I'll see it in person on Saturday though. I wonder if the 2020 will still have Aegean blue available as that was, and probably still is, my favorite color for the CTR :p
It looks closer to the laguna seca blue, which isn't a bad thing..

JayeGee

JaysCTR2528
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 EK HATCH EJ6 & 2017 CTR FK8
Country flag
That blue is crazy! The pictures don't do it justice.

Slightly related: I'm really tired of hearing people aged 40+ jerk themselves off by saying they're "too old" for a car's styling. (See: video in second post) It's fine if you just flat out don't like it, but if you try to justify it by saying you're too old I'm almost certain there's a different problem in your life that's stopping you.
WTF 40+yrs is just the begin I gues if they feel old then they are old:rofl:

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
i agree, if I wanted compliant I would’ve gotten an Accord or Camry, Hahahha!

I’m 51 and I like the looks of the car. I feel a lot of people that are worried about the looks of the CTR are more so worried about what other people think of them. So the thing is is not to worry about what other people think. It’s like if I wear a pink shirt, which I have a couple, I’m fine with it because I’m not insecure about my masculinity. A lot of guys won’t wear a pink shirt and that’s up to them. I think it looks good, I don’t care what other people think. So be it.

Also something to note is that people in their 50s or older were around during the 70s custom car scene if they were into cars in the cars back then were really outrages. Not only did they have wild paint schemes but also they had a lot of custom work done to cars. George Barris was known for having crazy designs and is credited for many cool looking custom vehicles. So a little wing is not a big deal relative to some of the crazy stuff that was around in the 70s imo.

tbobtx

First Name
tbob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R 2011 Subaru Legacy 3.6R 2015 Volvo XC60 3.0L polestar 2003 Ford F150 Lariat crewcab
Country flag
Late 30s. Hell, I'm in my early 50s and I'm going to get one. Been waiting 3 yrs futilely for MSRP so now I'm just going to get a 2020. My wife and daughter of course think I'm insane. My coworkers make fun of me. I don't care. I've driven it, so I know how good it is and how much it reminds me of why I fell in love with cars and with Honda. I have one ally; my son loves it!
Yeah. I’m late 40’s. Had 1993 Acura integra coupe 5sp manual in fire engine red and just loved it. I did some Performance upgrades that rivaled the hot BMWs and VW GTI of the time. Killed celica gts all day long. Then kids came and had to sell it. Once I saw CTR, I finally got my mid-life crisis. What did my family think? Thought out of my mind. Took wife 3 months to talk to me after dropping money on it. Son thought it was awesome but didn’t understand why I needed it. It always gives me a smile when driving as I live off a windy road. I just wish Honda build quality was better. I have at least 3 areas with rattles and buzzing that I cannot drown out even over the exhaust note. If I ignore that, nothing can touch this car. what else can you buy for under $40k with this much performance and handling?

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
You guys are all kids. ;) I'm 70 and trying to get my hands on a PMM. looking for 2019 but looks like I might have to settle for a 2020. Don't really want all the nanny crap but I will just disable it anyway. Just don't care to pay for unnecessary crap I don't use.

Started with a 60 Chevy Impala convertible, moved to a SS396 Chevelle (drag racing phase) and then moved up to a 69' RS Z-28. With a little work had the power up to 425-450 hp and many smiles later.

hpbyhermann

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Championship white Type R #25133, 09' Civic SI sedan, black 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 2004 Mustang Cobra
Country flag
Not sure about why other people bought a FK8 but I bought mine to please me and I honestly could care less about what other people say about my car that I paid for! I would do it all over again today. Just about every other car I own has way more power than my Type R and one even handles as well or better but this is the one I enjoy the most. There is just something intangible about the CTR that is literally addictive! My favorite all around, do everything car I've ever driven!:beer:

FLRib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8 2021
Country flag
[QUOTE="There is just something intangible about the CTR that is literally addictive! My favorite all around, do everything car I've ever driven!:beer:[/QUOTE]

I don't feel the same with my CTR FK8.The oil low level oil warning light will come every time the engine hit 6000-6500 RPM for a sustained period of time

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not sure about why other people bought a FK8 but I bought mine to please me and I honestly could care less about what other people say about my car that I paid for! I would do it all over again today. Just about every other car I own has way more power than my Type R and one even handles as well or better but this is the one I enjoy the most. There is just something intangible about the CTR that is literally addictive! My favorite all around, do everything car I've ever driven!:beer:
I pretty much agree. For the (2018) price, it’s really hard to beat the combination of practicality, performance and everyday usability the Type R offers. There definitely is something about driving it that makes it more special than other cars.

dom_dub

OctaneFix Magazine
First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.octanefix.com
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Civic Type R 2020, 96 Jetta VR6, 71' Corvette LS6, 72 240Z, 97 Supercharged Maxima A32
Country flag
What's the deal with the interior embargo?
Sponsored