Regret buying an Si instead of a Type R?

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
I bought an 18 RR Type R...its a second vehicle for me and summer/weekend toy. I'm not here to debate the style because everyone has their own opinion...I LOVE it. I'm 33 years old and wanted a civic type r since I was about 15. You might not understand this but every time I get in it it just feels special....theres something about it. I don't care about the tires, it will never see snow...the insurance costs me the same as my 2015 Pro 4runner. The car is an absolute blast to drive and I love talking to people about it when I stop for gas or coffee. The best thing is you don't see many around...mustangs, camaros, vettes are a dime a dozen...this car is rare and it's special...if you guys love your SIs then who gives a shit what anyone else says....you only live once...ENJOY IT!!!

Same here , 17 PMM It is special because it's hard to get in the seats but it's rewarding after you got in. 26 YO here daily driving it in Socal. Insurance is weird, they priced mine as Civic touring, so my rate is lower than a Si. Car guys sneaking up behind me taking pics. It's lot of car and experience for the money.
Sponsored

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
If I am correct in assuming the Type R only comes in four door versions I would not want one. I have never been a fan of four door cars. If you have a family I guess that you would need one. But if you got a family you should probably stay away from cars like this.
I wasn't even care what the Type R looks like. Or how many door it comes with . I wanted a car with genuine red H and R logo, so there is that.

OP
OP
zroger73

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I wouldn't mind owning a Type R as a conversation piece and occasional driver (if I could buy one locally for MSRP or less), but my garage only has space for two vehicles and I'm not willing to give up my current Ridgeline or Si. Neither an Si nor a Type R can do the truck-like things I need the Ridgeline for and the Type R is neither as practical nor efficient as the Si for daily driving. :)

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
I love how much power/handling my SI has even in it's stock configuration. Perhaps the Type R would be even better, but since it's impossible to test drive one, I'll never know. And I refuse to pine over some unknown quantity - hence why I do not have any buyer's remorse.

EDIT: Case in point - back in 2015, I wanted a 2015/2016 WRX more than anything. Was on Google and the WRX forums constantly. Couldn't drive stick at the time though. Later learned, and upon test driving the WRX, was surprised at how little I liked it. Terrible 1st to 2nd gear transition, couldn't heel/toe in the manner that I had become accustomed to, and the shifter was super notchy relative to the Honda that I had learned on. Suddenly I felt very silly for all of that pining over something that I had never driven.
I am impressed that you went straight from not knowing how to drive stick to heel-and-toe in a short period of time. But then again, CTR has an auto rev match . . . . :)

jeremiah

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si coupe, 1999 Lexus Gs300
If the price difference between the Type R and Si were much closer ($5-10K), then yes I would have some buyer's remorse for not going with the Type R cause its a tight car.

If it weren't for the additional dealer mark ups making the Type R more expensive, I would have went with it.

Its like asking if a GTI owner regrets not purchasing the Golf R...the price difference is what makes one buyer choose one model over the other.

I will add that sometimes when I drive my Si and see a Brz and wish I went with that car instead.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I am impressed that you went straight from not knowing how to drive stick to heel-and-toe in a short period of time. But then again, CTR has an auto rev match . . . . :) :)
Thanks man. I was lucky that after years of wanting to learn, I randomly went to visit my in-laws' and noticed an old 5 speed manual 2001 Prelude just sitting with flat tires on their driveway. I asked about it, and it seems that it belonged to my sister-in-law, who had moved to the Phillipines and just left it there to collect dust. They let me have it for free as long as I got it the hell out of there (gladly :)), and I spent the next two months devouring every YouTube video and forum post about manual driving. I actually had no idea how to regular downshift for the first six months, because the only YouTube videos that I could find were about heel toe downshifting. Learned how to launch and heel toe before I learned how to hill start, lol.

I am living proof of what happens when internet racing and enthusiast forums teach someone how to drive stick. :D

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks man. I was lucky that after years of wanting to learn, I randomly went to visit my in-laws' and noticed an old 5 speed manual 2001 Prelude just sitting with flat tires on their driveway. I asked about it, and it seems that it belonged to my sister-in-law, who had moved to the Phillipines and just left it there to collect dust. They let me have it for free as long as I got it the hell out of there (gladly :)), and I spent the next two months devouring every YouTube video and forum post about manual driving. I actually had no idea how to regular downshift for the first six months, because the only YouTube videos that I could find were about heel toe downshifting. Learned how to launch and heel toe before I learned how to hill start, lol.

I am living proof of what happens when internet racing and enthusiast forums teach someone how to drive stick. :D
I have fond memories of my 1988 Prelude Si . . . . almost bought a 2000 model, too.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I too had an 88 prelude si 5spd in yellow. Definitely my favorite car.
It definitely was a looker in the day. Less-than-informed people in CT used to think that it was some sort of a quasi-exotic. When I look at the car now, the styling doesn't look as awesome as I remember it. True with many things in life. . . . . lol

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
Had an '87 CRX Si, and then went to a '96 Prelude Si. Still sometimes regret getting rid of that car; it was a looker for sure.

NickName541

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Country flag
15 years ago I had a PY ITR, it was really an amazing car. However, all the attention that it got grew tiresome over time. I love how my Si simply blends. Very well handling car, nice amount of pep, but without all the wings and vents and this and that the new CTR has. If Honda ever makes a Sti-style "Limited" version, that's all toned down, I would maybe bite on one. Just my opinion, but sometimes one just grows out of wanting the attention cars like a Type R bring.

fiatlux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 Sequoia, '10 M6, '13 STi, '16 TLX
Country flag
15 years ago I had a PY ITR, it was really an amazing car. However, all the attention that it got grew tiresome over time. I love how my Si simply blends. Very well handling car, nice amount of pep, but without all the wings and vents and this and that the new CTR has. If Honda ever makes a Sti-style "Limited" version, that's all toned down, I would maybe bite on one. Just my opinion, but sometimes one just grows out of wanting the attention cars like a Type R bring.
Very true. That's why the Golf R exists :)

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I know right. Gotta get my CTR tinted ASAP. Of course, this car’s small fuel tank would require me to go to the gas station every other day or something. I dread this attention factor. I will soon know how celebrities might feel about attention. Lol.
Sponsored