Regret buying an Si instead of a Type R?

stlnative

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
Nah. As far as I can tell the SI hits all the sweet spots for me - four doors for family, honda reliability, fun with great handling, decent sound system, not too expensive, not too garish.

If anything, 4. Sunroof may be a problem with the SI - cuz I'm 6'4 and won't know how the head room is until I get in and drive it. Here's hoping my clear and obvious genetic superiority ( ;) ) isn't my downfall, yet again.
Im 6'3 and i fit perfectly fine in my Si. You can lower the seat. I love sitting in it, feels like im in a space ship lol
Sponsored

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Do I "Regret buying an "Si" instead of a Type "R""?

NO

Maybe this should have been a Poll thread.

I considered buying a Mustang, Camaro, and several others before settling on the Si. Mostly because I prefer the Civic instrumentation. As far as the Type "R", I found the entry price too prohibitive as well as the lack of everyday driver creature comforts. And all of the reasons zroger73 listed.

1. Insurance on the Si is cheaper due to lower risk and replacement cost.
2. Fuel economy ratings are 28% better on the Si.
3. The Si has heated seats.
4. The Si has a sunroof.
5. The Si has the Lane Watch camera.
6. The Si has three rear seating positions. The Type R only has two. (Sorry, 4th friend!)
7. The Si has slightly quicker steering. The Type R steering was slowed down just a tad.
8. You saved at least $10,000 buy buying an Si and probably more like $15,000 or more with ADM.
9. If you drive the Type R as intended, you'll be spending at least $1,500 on expensive "track" tires every year. The Si's all-seasons should set you back less than $1,000 every 3-5 years.

CivicSi84

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chrysler 200
Country flag
The Type R was never an option for me, I cant justify a 600+/mo payment for a hot hatch. The Si is still at the front of my list but I am also considering an EB Mustang which can be had for a few grand cheaper, granted with less content but much better aftermarket support. My biggest thing I am debating is do I want to maintain a ~$400/mo payment like I currently have or look for something used around $15k and cut my payment in half. I make more then enough money to afford what I am paying now and should be moving into a new job in the next couple of months making 20-30k more a year than I currently do so I'm thinking just roll with the same payment and when I get the new job just double down on payments. That way I have a very nice DD and will be able to pick up a toy later down the road.

ericwudi0830

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
With all the dealership controversy its a pretty bad time to buy a type R atm. we'd all be better off waiting till this blows over

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
not worth buying a CTR as of right now, car's msrp is $35k, but dealers are selling it with $45k price tag.... tune the Si, do some suspension mods, it will be no less fun than Type R

TTRPGGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord LX
Was told by sales guy that they've refused a $5000 deposit and with 5k adm markup on the first Type R they're getting. He claimed that all the dealers were going to hold 24 hour silent auctions, winner gets em, on their first Type Rs. Obviously don't know how true that is.

18RRtypeR

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R #6850, 2015 Toyota TRD PRO 4Runner
Country flag
I bought an 18 RR Type R...its a second vehicle for me and summer/weekend toy. I'm not here to debate the style because everyone has their own opinion...I LOVE it. I'm 33 years old and wanted a civic type r since I was about 15. You might not understand this but every time I get in it it just feels special....theres something about it. I don't care about the tires, it will never see snow...the insurance costs me the same as my 2015 Pro 4runner. The car is an absolute blast to drive and I love talking to people about it when I stop for gas or coffee. The best thing is you don't see many around...mustangs, camaros, vettes are a dime a dozen...this car is rare and it's special...if you guys love your SIs then who gives a shit what anyone else says....you only live once...ENJOY IT!!!

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
I bought an 18 RR Type R...its a second vehicle for me and summer/weekend toy. I'm not here to debate the style because everyone has their own opinion...I LOVE it. I'm 33 years old and wanted a civic type r since I was about 15. You might not understand this but every time I get in it it just feels special....theres something about it. I don't care about the tires, it will never see snow...the insurance costs me the same as my 2015 Pro 4runner. The car is an absolute blast to drive and I love talking to people about it when I stop for gas or coffee. The best thing is you don't see many around...mustangs, camaros, vettes are a dime a dozen...this car is rare and it's special...if you guys love your SIs then who gives a shit what anyone else says....you only live once...ENJOY IT!!!
I just bought a 2017 Si coupe; I've got about 1500 miles and it's right around a month old. I got a phone call from my salesman yesterday stating they got a Type R on the lot yesterday... all the salesman were WTF? because they weren't supposed to be getting one. Same color as my Si, and no dealer markup. Said they'd take my Si back but at a depreciation of course. I briefly considered it but it would have added over $100 to my monthly payment, I would have had to come up with at least $2500 down (which I have, just don't want to), and add another year to my financing. I briefly considered it, especially after reading all of the positive reviews (and they said they'd transfer my extended warranty/Simonize to the Type R), but politely declined. Just couldn't stomach another $100/month for the next 6 years; my goal was to pay the Si off early. Reading that I'd have to give up my moonroof and heated seats sealed my decision.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
I just bought a 2017 Si coupe; I've got about 1500 miles and it's right around a month old. I got a phone call from my salesman yesterday stating they got a Type R on the lot yesterday... all the salesman were WTF? because they weren't supposed to be getting one. Same color as my Si, and no dealer markup. Said they'd take my Si back but at a depreciation of course. I briefly considered it but it would have added over $100 to my monthly payment, I would have had to come up with at least $2500 down (which I have, just don't want to), and add another year to my financing. I briefly considered it, especially after reading all of the positive reviews (and they said they'd transfer my extended warranty/Simonize to the Type R), but politely declined. Just couldn't stomach another $100/month for the next 6 years; my goal was to pay the Si off early. Reading that I'd have to give up my moonroof and heated seats sealed my decision.
Si's are one of the best sporty car deals around. A bargain. I love my 9th gen. But the lease is coming up, and decided to swallow the bullet and just get a CTR. I liked the 10th gen I test drove, especially the increased torque in low RPM and the awesome seats. If Honda didn't sell a CTR here, I would have been perfectly happy with a 10th gen Si, I think.

While you would have had to pay $100 per month more, you also have to consider the impact of the higher MSRP, higher residual %, 2018 model year designation and the relative rarity and buyer demand. Together, you would have recovered a good portion of the increased outlay for a CTR when you would have been ready to sell or trade in the car. I thought about that.

thatwhiteSi

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
We were approved and day away from taking delivery of a 2017 jeep wrangler at 46k. Decided against it last minute and decided to check out the Si and ended up buying it. Much cheaper, don't regret it. But I am going to be honest, if there was a type r at the dealership chances are I would own a type r right now.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
Si's are one of the best sporty car deals around. A bargain. I love my 9th gen. But the lease is coming up, and decided to swallow the bullet and just get a CTR. I liked the 10th gen I test drove, especially the increased torque in low RPM and the awesome seats. If Honda didn't sell a CTR here, I would have been perfectly happy with a 10th gen Si, I think.

While you would have had to pay $100 per month more, you also have to consider the impact of the higher MSRP, higher residual %, 2018 model year designation and the relative rarity and buyer demand. Together, you would have recovered a good portion of the increased outlay for a CTR when you would have been ready to sell or trade in the car. I thought about that.
I thought about resale value too, but I also thought about gas mileage, tires, insurance, etc., basically total cost of ownership. Figured I'm much better off in the long run with the Si coupe. My insurance was surprisingly expensive for the Si; could only image what the Type R would have been. I plan to keep the Si for at least 10 years unless I have some sort of life-changing event. I still have my '07 Pilot I bought new in March of 2007 but plan on selling it - don't have the need for an SUV anymore once I've discovered how much room there is in a couple with the back seats put down. :thumbsup:

18RRtypeR

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R #6850, 2015 Toyota TRD PRO 4Runner
Country flag

Exactly

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
I thought about resale value too, but I also thought about gas mileage, tires, insurance, etc., basically total cost of ownership. Figured I'm much better off in the long run with the Si coupe. My insurance was surprisingly expensive for the Si; could only image what the Type R would have been. I plan to keep the Si for at least 10 years unless I have some sort of life-changing event. I still have my '07 Pilot I bought new in March of 2007 but plan on selling it - don't have the need for an SUV anymore once I've discovered how much room there is in a couple with the back seats put down. :thumbsup:
Good point. Believe it or not, my insurance would not be impacted that much -- pretty comparable to an Si. Crazy but true.

The stock tires wearing out at 10,000 miles is a problem, I agree. I would get a different brand of high performance summer tires (with much better tread life) once the OEM has worn out . . . . . unless I decide to downsize from the beginning to the 19's.

You're right about fuel consumption.

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si, BMW 540i, Chevy Spark EV, Civic LX
This is not confirmation bias. Honest! Lol. But I do not regret buying an Si over the CTR for a couple reasons. Reason 1, the CTR was never in my radar. I didn't even know what a CTR was until after it was released. Reason 2: In my ignorance, I never considered FWD cars as performance cars. So I overlooked them for more traditional sports cars like the Mustang and Camaro and after driving a German masterpiece, the BMW 540i, I also preferred luxurious cars. Heck, the Si wasn't on my radar either. It wasn't until I realized spending less than 25k on a car was the smart play for my current financial situation. Which leads me to Reason 3: Realizing I couldn't spend over 25k on a car removed the CTR from consideration and whittled my choices down to the affordable sport compact segment. Thus I "settled" for the Si. But even if I could have spent 35k for a CTR, it wouldn't have been at the top of my list. At price points below 50k, it's all about compromises.
Sponsored