Regret buying an Si instead of a Type R?

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Now that the Type R has officially gone on sale and reviews are putting genuine smiles on the faces of reviewers unlike most of the Si reviews which seem lukewarm and insincere at best, do you regret buying your Si?

My answer is "no". I am unable to justify the extra $10K + ADM + speeding tickets. There's no way I'd be able utilize anywhere near the Type R's advantages and capabilities on the street. The only real advantage for me would be owning an attention-getting conversation piece, but I'm already getting more of that than I expected with the Si. I'm past spending money on things to impress others. I buy what pleases me.

I set a self-imposed limit of $25K for a second vehicle. As a loyal Honda buyer, the model that fit my needs and wants the best was the Si. If I would have been willing to spend $35K, I may have chosen the Type R.

To help console those who are experiencing buyer's remorse, perhaps these few advantages of the Si over the Type R may help your day become just a little less gloomy:

1. Insurance on the Si is cheaper due to lower risk and replacement cost.
2. Fuel economy ratings are 28% better on the Si.
3. The Si has heated seats.
4. The Si has a sunroof.
5. The Si has the Lane Watch camera.
6. The Si has three rear seating positions. The Type R only has two. (Sorry, 4th friend!)
7. The Si has slightly quicker steering. The Type R steering was slowed down just a tad.
8. You saved at least $10,000 buy buying an Si and probably more like $15,000 or more with ADM.
9. If you drive the Type R as intended, you'll be spending at least $1,500 on expensive "track" tires every year. The Si's all-seasons should set you back less than $1,000 every 3-5 years.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SecretAgentDannyBeans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar Silver Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I regret it, but in the end at this point in time the type R just isn't right for me. I mostly regret the chance at owning a piece of history, because I don't really need the extra speed and I'd likely never track it.

The goal of me getting the SI was to reduce my monthly payments and have a fun reliable car. The SI gets my payments to $170 a month down from $440 I was paying for my truck. The type R still would have been cheaper probably around $330 if I waited long enough, but then with insurance and speeding tickets:D the difference would have been negligible.

I may grab a late 2018 model if they are available or just wait and see what happens with 2019-2020.

Honda2112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Even though I'd love a hot hatch such as the R, It's just too much car for me. We've got an SUV should I need to load things and my work commute is very short. The complaints from the Si is obviously the 1.5 liter, I drove a 1.5 liter Fit for 11 years and let me tell you, the Si sure doesn't feel like a 1.5.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Now that the Type R has officially gone on sale and reviews are putting genuine smiles on the faces of reviewers unlike most of the Si reviews which seem lukewarm and insincere at best, do you regret buying your Si?

My answer is "no". I am unable to justify the extra $10K + ADM + speeding tickets. There's no way I'd be able utilize anywhere near the Type R's advantages and capabilities on the street. The only real advantage for me would be owning an attention-getting conversation piece, but I'm already getting more of that than I expected with the Si. I'm past spending money on things to impress others. I buy what pleases me.

I set a self-imposed limit of $25K for a second vehicle. As a loyal Honda buyer, the model that fit my needs and wants the best was the Si. If I would have been willing to spend $35K, I may have chosen the Type R.

To help console those who are experiencing buyer's remorse, perhaps these few advantages of the Si over the Type R may help your day become just a little less gloomy:

4. The Si has a sunroof.
6. The Si has three rear seating positions. The Type R only has two. (Sorry, 4th friend!)
7. The Si has slightly quicker steering. The Type R steering was slowed down just a tad.
8. You saved at least $10,000 buy buying an Si and probably more like $15,000 or more with ADM.
Honda Civic 10th gen Regret buying an Si instead of a Type R? IMG_0496.GIF

Last edited:

TTRPGGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord LX
Nah. As far as I can tell the SI hits all the sweet spots for me - four doors for family, honda reliability, fun with great handling, decent sound system, not too expensive, not too garish.

If anything, 4. Sunroof may be a problem with the SI - cuz I'm 6'4 and won't know how the head room is until I get in and drive it. Here's hoping my clear and obvious genetic superiority ( ;) ) isn't my downfall, yet again.

nyuofa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M4, STI

4. The Si has a sunroof.
Not sure what the purpose of this post is on a sub-forum specific for the Type R. But if posting this helps you sleep at night without regrets, then thank you for your reasoning. I'm sure it will convince others here to for-go the Type R as well.

kalvin126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Its good to have nice things, but does the Type R make sense on the street?

GAT305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR Crystal Black
Country flag
My intention was to buy a Type R but do to the fact that the closest dealerships near me would not be getting a Type R anytime within the next month due to the limited production kinda screwed me. In a couple years I will likely get one when there are more available provided that Honda is still making Type R's by then ill trade in my current Si. It just felt like too much of a hassle trying to track down a dealership that was getting one that was not already on hold. As for my new Si I don't regret it one bit. I was a bit worried initially but moving on from my 2013 Si I traded in but the difference is night and day to me. At first I enjoyed the high rev of my 9th gen Si but it kinda of got old for me a bit as it never quite felt right having to rev so high just to feel the power. The power being more in the mid range fits my driving style better anyways and I enjoy driving the 10th more. While not the car I initially wanted I still ended up with a new car that I find enjoyable and I am happy with. I plan to eventually own a Type R sometime it just wont be this year. I feel like I can wait for it until I get bored of the new Si which does not seem to be anytime soon.

CivicSi84

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chrysler 200
Country flag
Nah. As far as I can tell the SI hits all the sweet spots for me - four doors for family, honda reliability, fun with great handling, decent sound system, not too expensive, not too garish.

If anything, 4. Sunroof may be a problem with the SI - cuz I'm 6'4 and won't know how the head room is until I get in and drive it. Here's hoping my clear and obvious genetic superiority ( ;) ) isn't my downfall, yet again.
Well I am 6'1 and I had to crank my seat all the way down in the coupe and I had maybe half an inch or so with the shade closed. It seemed like the shade took away an inch or 2 while closed. I havent sat in a sedan yet so I am not sure if there is any difference in that regard.

OP
OP
zroger73

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Not sure what the purpose of this post is on a sub-forum specific for the Type R. But if posting this helps you sleep at night without regrets, then thank you for your reasoning. I'm sure it will convince others here to for-go the Type R as well.
I'll forgive you for being confused. This is posted under the Si sub-forum.

TTRPGGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord LX
Well I am 6'1 and I had to crank my seat all the way down in the coupe and I had maybe half and inch or so with the shade closed. It seemed like the shade took away an inch or 2 while closed. I havent sat in a sedan yet so I am not sure if there is any difference in that regard.

I know I'll have to plant the seat to the floor but - Ruh roh. Guess (eventually, whenever the heck my dealer actually gets the darn thing) I'll find out.

CivicSi84

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chrysler 200
Country flag
I know I'll have to plant the seat to the floor but - Ruh roh. Guess (eventually, whenever the heck my dealer actually gets the darn thing) I'll find out.
I think the sedan will be better in that regard, I may go drive one this weekend if they still have it and I'll report back. To be fair I didnt really take too much time to adjust everything in the coupe regarding my seating position since it was raining and I had other places to be. Considering the wheel tilts and telescopes I think you'll be able to find a comfortable seating positon, especially if more of your height is in your legs rather than torso.

Wizerud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mini Clubman S All4
I'm on the other side of the fence. I don't regret not getting the Si and now that the reviews of the Type R have been published it's gone to the top of my list. Alas, what I want and what any Honda dealership within 500 miles can offer (i.e. the R at msrp) are two very different things. :eek:

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
At the Type R's price I could have just gotten this Mustang with GT Performance Package and called it a day. But yes, I don't see how any realistic driver could regret buying the Si over the R's almost track only driveability. Like I said way early, I'm expecting to see "My Type R got stolen" or "They stripped my Type R" threads in the future from people who think that it is a daily driver.

kingbudd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si, 1994 Dodge Stealth RT/TT, 2016 Infiniti Q50, 2017 Cadillac XT5, and 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Honestly, yes I wish the Si had more power, but I am 34 and a VP at a University. The Type R would be nice when I was 21, but driving that as a business professional makes it feel too much like a ricer. For me it's too much show, I will take the milder tuned and appearance of the Si.
Sponsored