Refreshed 2020 Civic Type R, here it is!

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
They should've skipped all of the nanny updates and just fixed the damn trans. If 2nd gear on my CTR was half as smooth as it is on my 20 year old Prelude, this car would be 1000x more enjoyable.
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I saw it in Tokyo. Visually the changes are more subtle and look better in real life than in photos. No Boost Blue on display though. I don't mind any of the changes (not sure why they changed the shift knob) but I'm disappointed there isn't any carbon roof. I'm also disappointed to see they're going to be raising the price to over $40K. These changes are fine, but the price bump doesn't make any sense. I think the '19 pricing is good. It's where it should have been from the start.
they probably changed the shift knob because the shifter itself changed. A shorter throw with stiffer bushings May require a heavy shift knob to feel similar in shift feel/effort.

hpbyhermann

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Championship white Type R #25133, 09' Civic SI sedan, black 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 2004 Mustang Cobra
Country flag
Let's keep debating how great/bad this car that hasn't even been produced is. How about we actually see one in the flesh before passing judgment on this vehicle that is currently made of Unobtainium??

Ouhei

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR
Country flag
I’m dying at anyone that’s so mad in either direction. The changes are all really minor and I’m willing to bet the car feels almost the same as previous years.

Exterior changes: The vents are a small update, like them or don’t. The grill is hopefully helping with cooling, , if not it’s no worse then the current car.

Suspension changes: No one has driven it so you have no idea how different it feels. Minor changes are fairly common over the years.

Driving aids: These have literally been in some versions of this car since launch. Prefer to not have them if you want but don’t act like they’ve somehow ruined the car. You can turn them off if you don’t want them.

Andruboine

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would imagine they have data that tells them the lack of noise is keeping people from going EV. We always gotta remember that we're not the target demo for everything they do, it's all done so they can sell stuff at scale.

Edit: I forgot to add, I don't think anyone knows the results of the changes Honda made for cooling. I would imagine it does have SOME effect, otherwise why would they bother? I don't know enough to say how much of a difference the changes make, but neither do any of you.
they can make have EVs make fart noises all they want until they get drop 20k off their respective prices people aren’t going to buy them en masse there’s a lot of upfront cost to purchasing one if you don’t have 2 phase electrical at your house.

Andruboine

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What state do you live in where people are paying $36-38K for a low mile (7,000 miles?) 2018?

Even though i have no intention of updating to a '20 i filled out the Honda form for info on the new model. The dealer where i bought my car offered me $32K trade value for my '18 with much lower miles than yours. Sure i could negotiate a bit more for my trade but nowhere near $36-38K unless they jacked the price for the '20 through the roof.

Anyway - good luck to you and keep us posted on your upcoming killer deal.
Bought mine in IL with 5k miles for 33400

if you buy a black one you can definitely get it cheaper. It’s the literal black sheep there’s tons of them.

Last edited:

Andruboine

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not if people keep signing 72 month loans...

Tons of people are willing to live off credit so the corps get their money either way. Take a look in the payment thread, there’s someone paying something absurd like $805 a month.
Ive got a 72 month loan to have a low payment but am paying extra to pay it off in 2-3 years. Same thing with a house payment The interest collects on the front end so pay off more in the beginning and you’ll come to the same rate except in an dire emergency you have the option to lower your payment without intervention from the bank.

If you have a low interest rate that you can make up for through other investments it doesn't matter.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Some folks are talking about increased wgt of the 2020 car. Is Honda sense that heavy? Certainly the rotors should be a bit lighter.

(Sorry not to talk about finances, I think I am ok)

various cheeses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
I'm sure it adds a trivial amount of weight to the car. The camera box on the windshield can't weigh much. The main issue is that it adds another level of padding between you and the driving experience. Also not thrilled about the reports of false positives on the auto-braking. It'll be real nice when some dumbass in an SUV isn't paying attention on the highway, your system sees a shadow, and decides to unexpectedly stab the brakes - especially considering the CTR has a stopping distance that rivals some supercars.

Andruboine

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Some folks are talking about increased wgt of the 2020 car. Is Honda sense that heavy? Certainly the rotors should be a bit lighter.

(Sorry not to talk about finances, I think I am ok)
Doubt you see the difference on the street but People that track it enjoy ridding any unnecessary weight.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
I'm sure it adds a trivial amount of weight to the car. The camera box on the windshield can't weigh much. The main issue is that it adds another level of padding between you and the driving experience. Also not thrilled about the reports of false positives on the auto-braking. It'll be real nice when some dumbass in an SUV isn't paying attention on the highway, your system sees a shadow, and decides to unexpectedly stab the brakes - especially considering the CTR has a stopping distance that rivals some supercars.
Exactly my thoughts on the auto-braking. If everyone had it, it might be ok but given the good brakes of the CTR and the bad brakes (and inattentiveness of many drivers) I see this system causing almost as much harm as good and a lot of damaged rear wings.

Also it has to be able to be completely turned off for safe track use.

HRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
Correct. If the rotors can come close to the girodisc weight reduction of ~5.5 lbs, it’s possible the 2020 R will weigh less than previous years.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
Doubt you see the difference on the street but People that track it enjoy ridding any unnecessary weight.
Most people can stand to lose some unnecessary weight themselves, so if they accomplish that it'll offset the weight of the added electronics. Consider it an incentive. :)

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
Exactly my thoughts on the auto-braking. If everyone had it, it might be ok but given the good brakes of the CTR and the bad brakes (and inattentiveness of many drivers) I see this system causing almost as much harm as good and a lot of damaged rear wings.
No, speaking as somebody with over 4 years first hand experience with honda sensing - that's not gonna happen. You guys are going nutty with these types of comments.

kilo959

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R; 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Country flag
If you’re seeing the difference 60 lbs makes, I hope you’re trying out for your racing license.

no offense.
Sponsored