Refreshed 2020 Civic Type R, here it is!

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Ouhei

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR
Country flag
Boy I love these forums. Always a few who total miss the point of the post and start nit picking. My only comparison was price that's it nothing else. And the probability if they made the price to high then other options would be better. Thats it nothing else so not sure what you guys are on about but ok :) but anyway on to the new 2020 topic as that was what this thread is about.

But it seems when it comes to prices owners in texas, cali and other rich states seem to think nothing is too expensive. But in the real world of 9 to 5 and median incomes 40k for a civic is way to much.
My only point is that “better options” is subjective is all.

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
No, I don’t think that many people, even some of those that own the automobile realize that the ‘wing’ is not a decoration, it is functional, in two ways. Number one, is placed high enough so that it doesn’t interfere with aft vision through the rearview mirror, important to the driver. Secondly, it is positioned high so that with the vortex generators on the after edge of the roof, air flows over it so that does actually produce downforce, about 60 pounds at 120 mph, and, I suppose, proportionally, perhaps arithmetically less, at lower speeds. It is a reverse air foil; you can see it in the shape, it produces downforce rather than lift. To change that without proper height and position will just make it a decoration, which is not what it is supposed to be. Appearance wise, I get nothing but appreciation of the whole car, including the wing.

6starwars

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR, 2017 Tacoma
Country flag
I will reserve judgement until I see the Boost Blue color in the wild. The more I look at the pictures, it reminds me of that awful blue (IMO) that Toyota is using on TRD Pro 4Runners, Tundras, and Tacomas. I will love it if it’s closer to the Focus RS blue. I’m not a fan of artificial noise, either. I like the safety, grille, and brake changes, but I like the older vents.

PwrOfDreams

It ain't a Type R then it ain't a tight car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
Looks like the Type R is going the Nissan GT-R R35 route. Have changes here and there over the years with a big price bump to reflect it.

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Looks like the Type R is going the Nissan GT-R R35 route. Have changes here and there over the years with a big price bump to reflect it.
Perhaps, but with the Honda cycle it likely will be only be one more year, this year, or next, depending on how you define the year, calendar or model.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Boy I love these forums. Always a few who total miss the point of the post and start nit picking. My only comparison was price that's it nothing else. And the probability if they made the price to high then other options would be better. Thats it nothing else so not sure what you guys are on about but ok :) but anyway on to the new 2020 topic as that was what this thread is about.

But it seems when it comes to prices owners in texas, cali and other rich states seem to think nothing is too expensive. But in the real world of 9 to 5 and median incomes 40k for a civic is way to much.
If you're living in the world of median incomes (~$60K in the U.S.), $40K for any car is too much.

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
If you're living in the world of median incomes (~$50K in the U.S.), $40K for any car is too much.
What is the meaning of this statement? Depends on how involved you are with automobiles and how you can responsibly fit them into your life. Also depends on how many people are being supported at that level, and the overhead cost of insuring, maintaining, operating etc., the vehicle after purchase. It's a personal choice made, hopefully, with consideration and reason, a matter of personal wisdom.

Andruboine

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I will reserve judgement until I see the Boost Blue color in the wild. The more I look at the pictures, it reminds me of that awful blue (IMO) that Toyota is using on TRD Pro 4Runners, Tundras, and Tacomas. I will love it if it’s closer to the Focus RS blue. I’m not a fan of artificial noise, either. I like the safety, grille, and brake changes, but I like the older vents.
I’m jealous of the current blue but not a fan of the new blue.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What is the meaning of this statement? Depends on how involved you are with automobiles and how you can responsibly fit them into your life. Also depends on how many people are being supported at that level, and the overhead cost of insuring, maintaining, operating etc., the vehicle after purchase. It's a personal choice made, hopefully, with consideration and reason, a matter of personal wisdom.
I am openly saying that unless you have significant financial reserves, it’s fiscally irresponsible to own a $40K car if you net (after taxes) equal to or less than that in an entire year. There are no combination of life circumstances, short of imminent death, that lend to that being a good idea.

If it makes you feel better, my opinion is likely in the minority (which is why there are so many “car poor” people out there with little to no savings driving S4’s).

Last edited:

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I am openly saying that unless you have significant financial reserves, it’s fiscally irresponsible to own a $40K car if you net (after taxes) equal to or less than that in an entire year. There are no combination of life circumstances, short of imminent death, that lend to that being a good idea.

True enough, but it's a matter of personal consideration and choice, wise or not, and, generally, for better or worse the American culture lives for today, not for tomorrow,

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Of course. People are always free to make bad choices with their money. Many do it all the time. :dunno:

FWIW, living for tomorrow and not spending any money until you’re retired are two very different things. Unless you’re fairly confident that you’re going to drop dead within the next 10 years, it’s almost universally a bad idea to live only for today.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Of course. People are always free to make bad choices with their money. Many do it all the time. :dunno:

FWIW, living for tomorrow and not spending any money until you’re retired are two very different things. Unless you’re fairly confident that you’re going to drop dead within the next 10 years, it’s almost universally a bad idea to live only for today.
I mean, make those mistakes while you're young, but in the same moment have a plan or at least begin thinking about what you can do if shit hits the fan. The trick is to not keep making those mistakes, but a lot of people do.

CTRHONDATA

Banned
Banned
First Name
CK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
its funny these 2020 CTR threads have brought out out jelous CTR owners that just bought a 2019 or own a 2017-2018. I for one am upgrading my 2018 and dont mind doing it. The market value in my state for a CTR 2018 with low miles is 36-38k so I will get that easily for mine. If the price of the car is 40k I will get it and practically have the same car payment I had before.

I already have a sales manager team that will be calling me when they get the car allocated and will be getting it at MSRP.

either way there is no denying it the 2020 CTR is the best CTR made. The people complaining about the 2020 are just trying to justify their purchases which is fine , but to me it seems these threads are just turning into a therapeutic complainers thread of CTR owners who think they have the best CTR version on the planet. Get with the times because there will always be something newer and better. Now why are we talking about financial when talking about cars , if you have the money get it , dont hate people that want the newest and best CTR out there.

various cheeses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
its funny these 2020 CTR threads have brought out out jelous CTR owners that just bought a 2019 or own a 2017-2018. I for one am upgrading my 2018 and dont mind doing it. The market value in my state for a CTR 2018 with low miles is 36-38k so I will get that easily for mine. If the price of the car is 40k I will get it and practically have the same car payment I had before.

I already have a sales manager team that will be calling me when they get the car allocated and will be getting it at MSRP.

either way there is no denying it the 2020 CTR is the best CTR made. The people complaining about the 2020 are just trying to justify their purchases which is fine , but to me it seems these threads are just turning into a therapeutic complainers thread of CTR owners who think they have the best CTR version on the planet. Get with the times because there will always be something newer and better. Now why are we talking about financial when talking about cars , if you have the money get it , dont hate people that want the newest and best CTR out there.
You must not be on the east coast. I just put in an order for a new '19 for 35.5k. They didn't have the color I wanted so the dealer is going to make a trade for a CW one, which added a bit to the price.

I saw a few for sale in Virginia for mid 34s fyi if anyone is wanting to pick up a CTR for cheap before they add the nannies.
Sponsored