Refreshed 2020 Civic Type R, here it is!

Pierito

First Name
Piero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type-R (CW), 2007 Honda S2000 (SS)
Country flag
ITT: "The 2018 is the best version because the volume knob in the 2019 added weight and complexity."
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Well to be honest it was the biggest complain the hard core had which did not represent the majority of owners. The internet is a funny place what we see is the very vocal minority not the opinion of the masses. The happy people don't say much. The unhappy what everyone to be unhappy with them and therefore that's typically all you see posted and then it looks like everyone thinks that it must be that way because it is all you see. I either saw or knew the people who owned 30 type Rs and all but 2 had the factory 20s on. 2 of these people also bought second sets of 20s as spares. I myself also was very happy with the 20s. I would believe if you could (outside of a enthusiasts forum) take a poll. The number of people who kept and liked the 20s far outnumber those who did not. We have what a thousand or so owners here and maybe couple hundred that post alot. Even if half of those posts all put on 19s (which would seem like alot) thats nothing to the nearly 35k or so Type Rs that were sold. But in the scope of the forum it looks like it's what everyone is doing when in reality it is not. Now I can agree that Honda should of had a 19 factory option. As you should never cater to the minority and forsake your masses. You should at least give an option to those who did want a 19 as offering a wheel size option really doesn't cost the factory much and nothing but a few digits in ecu need to be changed. But I liked my 20s and I know for fact lots of others did too. The hate for 20s is and was not universal.
Agreed - I think most replaced those if they lived in like Detroit or something with massive pothole issues. I'm in Houston, and while some of the streets are challenging, I haven't found the 20's so unlivable that I'm looking to replace asap. I may end up keeping them as they are and just changing the rubber as needed tbh the car drives great as it sits.

If I had worse streets I would definitely consider it though, as the bad spots I have hit here and there are certainly jarring with such a rubber band tire and large wheel lol

CStew81

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
they are sequential since day one. so the first 2020 im sure will be the next number after the last 2019. What that might be... anybody's guess as Im sure no one here has any idea what the last 2019s number is. IM sure it will be somewhere in the mid to high 30k area
Yeah I was thinking it would probably be 35K if we didnā€™t pass that already

Pracis

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Type R
Country flag
I live in Cali and I do a daily commute. I already know the route that I would take to get home, when to change lanes, etc etc. Meh.. I'm not gonna worry about it anymore. Saves me about what.. 3 to 5k on rims and new tires?

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Many people donā€™t like the 20ā€ wheels and LP tires, but they are the essence of the character of the handling of the car. In combination with the other front-end geometry and structural design they are what eliminate fwd torque steer and to some extent understeer. By far the most unpleasant characteristic of my 2015 Si, I mostly enjoyed the car, but didnā€™t like heading to the bushes on the right every time that I seriously hit the throttle, With the CTR front-end thatā€™s gone. Anything that you do to move away from the OEM CTR configuration does something to compromise the way that the car was designed to handle overall. Changes could be better for certain conditions, but you should be sure that they are your conditions before you do it.

Interesting to me that in the 2020 version of the car, despite all the complaints, thereā€™s still no move away from that, no authorized alternate dealer-installed packages of smaller wheels with higher profile tires etc. This is the FK8 CTR, at least for the street. If you are going to race it, and to me track days are not really racing just running around against the clock, not against other skilled drivers; you can do whatever you want to do to the car; it becomes not a CTR, but a platform on which you layer various modifications that you think will make it better than what the Honda engineers and marketing people intended. Okay for you, valid or not. Costs a lot of mostly non-salvageable money, but if you have the bucks and thatā€™s a hobby that turns you on, OK. Many of us are just looking to have a great daily driver that provides pure balanced driving satisfaction every day.

Particularly in the South and West of the US, there are many sets of OEM tires and wheels for sale for local pickup at reasonable prices in the vicinity of $1000 , sometimes less, by people who have replaced them thinking that they can do better than what the Honda engineers have done. Less than the cost of replacing just the OEM tires themselves. I have two sets of wheels and three sets of tires, one winter, and two summer, and I will probably pick up one more total set if I can get the right combination in my area for local delivery, or with shipping at the right price. Take advantage of other peoplesā€™ prejudices; it makes a lot more sense to me than monkeying with the total suspension geometry by going to smaller wheels and fatter tires. For daily use with the right tires for the season, the car handles perfectly with the OEM set up. If you buy take offs at good prices you will always have replacements available for daily driving incidents.

I lost one of my winter tires, but not the wheel, to a pothole in swerving around a person who had not signaled for a left turn and forced me to go on to the shoulder at about 30 mph. I had to buy a new tire, but if I had lost the wheel, I had another, so to say, ā€˜in stockā€™ at a reasonable price to take care of that. Also, I carry AAA service to transport the car anywhere within 150 miles to get tires replaced as necessary.

Itā€™s a different world.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Many people donā€™t like the 20ā€ wheels and LP tires, but they are the essence of the character of the handling of the car. In combination with the other front-end geometry and structural design they are what eliminate fwd torque steer and to some extent understeer. By far the most unpleasant characteristic of my 2015 Si, I mostly enjoyed the car, but didnā€™t like heading to the bushes on the right every time that I seriously hit the throttle, With the CTR front-end thatā€™s gone. Anything that you do to move away from the OEM CTR configuration does something to compromise the way that the car was designed to handle overall. Changes could be better for certain conditions, but you should be sure that they are your conditions before you do it.

Interesting to me that in the 2020 version of the car, despite all the complaints, thereā€™s still no move away from that, no authorized alternate dealer-installed packages of smaller wheels with higher profile tires etc. This is the FK8 CTR, at least for the street. If you are going to race it, and to me track days are not really racing just running around against the clock, not against other skilled drivers; you can do whatever you want to do to the car; it becomes not a CTR, but a platform on which you layer various modifications that you think will make it better than what the Honda engineers and marketing people intended. Okay for you, valid or not. Costs a lot of mostly non-salvageable money, but if you have the bucks and thatā€™s a hobby that turns you on, OK. Many of us are just looking to have a great daily driver that provides pure balanced driving satisfaction every day.

Particularly in the South and West of the US, there are many sets of OEM tires and wheels for sale for local pickup at reasonable prices in the vicinity of $1000 , sometimes less, by people who have replaced them thinking that they can do better than what the Honda engineers have done. Less than the cost of replacing just the OEM tires themselves. I have two sets of wheels and three sets of tires, one winter, and two summer, and I will probably pick up one more total set if I can get the right combination in my area for local delivery, or with shipping at the right price. Take advantage of other peoplesā€™ prejudices; it makes a lot more sense to me than monkeying with the total suspension geometry by going to smaller wheels and fatter tires. For daily use with the right tires for the season, the car handles perfectly with the OEM set up. If you buy take offs at good prices you will always have replacements available for daily driving incidents.

I lost one of my winter tires, but not the wheel, to a pothole in swerving around a person who had not signaled for a left turn and forced me to go on to the shoulder at about 30 mph. I had to buy a new tire, but if I had lost the wheel, I had another, so to say, ā€˜in stockā€™ at a reasonable price to take care of that. Also, I carry AAA service to transport the car anywhere within 150 miles to get tires replaced as necessary.

Itā€™s a different world.
I think the biggest problem it Auto Journalist. The minute they say something negative, true or not, the entire community behind said car falls for it. The large 20's on thin tires is the greatest example for this car I believe, where everyone is so brainwashed or skeptical into thinking that the wheels are going to bend over the slightest bump... Stop driving over road hazards then.. Another example would be the power output of the Toyobaru FR-Z 86, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Back to CTR and wheels, I scoff at the people thinking they are improving the car by going down to 18's with an offset of like +32 - +35 on stock suspension (why widen the track without lowering the car and adjusting camber? Stupid.), meanwhile the stock offset is +60.

BrashSi

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Sedan in Aegean Blue, 2012 Ridgeline EX-L, 2018 Civic Si Sedan in Aegean Blue(sold), 2004 S2000 NFR (sold),
Country flag
I was anxiously awaiting to hear the about the release of the 2020 Type R in the expectation that I may sell my S2000 and 2018 Civic Si to upgrade to the Type R. I expected the Honda Sensing and other minor improvements, which it seems to be the case. Good to see the other improvements, but if the MSRP jumps to $40,000+ like was speculated here, it's no longer worth what they're wanting for it. Hard to justify a $5,000 increase in MSRP over just 4 model years. Looks like for my daily purposes the Si will remain a champion for me in that regard. Heated seats, more sidewall, better fuel economy. Seeing the new Blue in person just may change my mind.

I have a feeling the 17-19 Civic Type R will be like the AP1 of the S2000 world, and the 2020+ Civic Type R like the AP2. Lots of changes for the sake of "refinement" and "better usability". The debate still rages on today over which is the better S2000, which is more "raw"... etc. It'll be interesting to see how they age and what the preference is over time.

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Synthesized engine sounds for the serious driver, they have to be kidding. That does not enhance the driving experience, but kills it. The real driver needs to know what the engine is really doing, not what somebody else, or what some integrated circuit thinks it should be doing, a sick joke.

Teach-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rallye Red CTR #22518; 2017 Golf R
Country flag
Updates are nice and I like the new blue. Iā€™ve decided that Iā€™m only going to keep my ā€˜19 for another year before before I sell it.
My original plan was to get an RS3 after my Golf R. After my wifeā€™s car started to fall apart (Impreza) that changed and instead she took the R and I went with the CTR. It has been a great car and I love it but even with the new updates itā€™s missing keys things I want/enjoy. And I really wanted that RS3

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
so the front of this page says:
Refreshed model includes multiple performance improvements, with revised aerodynamics, engine cooling, suspension, and upgraded brakes.

On Honda's page it only says:

Boost Blue Pearl color option
Expanded grille opening
Two-piece front disc brakes
Side mirrors with LED turn indicators
Honda SensingĀ®

Not sure what the suspension upgrade is all about.

For the life of me, I can't see the difference in the "expanded grill"

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
so the front of this page says:
Refreshed model includes multiple performance improvements, with revised aerodynamics, engine cooling, suspension, and upgraded brakes.

On Honda's page it only says:

Boost Blue Pearl color option
Expanded grille opening
Two-piece front disc brakes
Side mirrors with LED turn indicators
Honda SensingĀ®

Not sure what the suspension upgrade is all about.

For the life of me, I can't see the difference in the "expanded grill"
They said they changed the stiffness if the rear bushings and changed the dampers for more comfort iirc.

As for the grille, on our current grille it looks to be blocked close to where the horizontal line on the H emblem but itā€™s maybe 3/4ā€-1ā€ higher on the new grille.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
I was anxiously awaiting to hear the about the release of the 2020 Type R in the expectation that I may sell my S2000 and 2018 Civic Si to upgrade to the Type R. I expected the Honda Sensing and other minor improvements, which it seems to be the case. Good to see the other improvements, but if the MSRP jumps to $40,000+ like was speculated here, it's no longer worth what they're wanting for it. Hard to justify a $5,000 increase in MSRP over just 4 model years. Looks like for my daily purposes the Si will remain a champion for me in that regard. Heated seats, more sidewall, better fuel economy. Seeing the new Blue in person just may change my mind.

I have a feeling the 17-19 Civic Type R will be like the AP1 of the S2000 world, and the 2020+ Civic Type R like the AP2. Lots of changes for the sake of "refinement" and "better usability". The debate still rages on today over which is the better S2000, which is more "raw"... etc. It'll be interesting to see how they age and what the preference is over time.
What they will end up doing is the same as Ford has done. Why pay 40k plus for something that its lesser model the SI, which can be bought new for 23k if you really wheel and deal I know I bought mine for that, can with a couple K worth of mods and pocket the savings. Ford does the same stupid thing. GT500 can be upto 100k plus or buy a GT and put 10-20k into it and absolutely stomp a GT500 while pocketing the massive savings. You can by a base Mustang gt for low 30s and dual turbo and tune it and get 1100hp out of it for under 40K. Same with the Si buy cheaper car spend a few K and have a car that will beat its higher counterpart for less money.

What made the R so great was its performance to price but they are slowly making it not worth it. Once you hit 40k plus there are way better performance options then the R.

ehCobra

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Civic Type-R
Country flag
So I ordered a 2020 in White yesterday (in Canada). I'm beyond sad that Sonic Grey Pearl won't be available on the Type-R for 2020 in Canada (only black, white and boost blue). Somehow I'm already 3rd in line at my dealer (someone else in front of me ordered blue). I'm wondering how hard I'll get stiffed on my trade-in...
Sponsored