Refreshed 2020 Civic Type R, here it is!

OP
OP
Retr0JDM

Retr0JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R/ 2019 Audi A6 45TFSI
Country flag
ill enjoy honda sensing , increase air flow, shorter throws , better tweaked suspension modes for sport and type R modes, better sound on the stock exhaust, stiffer bushings, better brakes not to mention the new bumper is sick on the 2020. Cleaning out your fake vents on the 2017-2019 is a PIA

Hondata will be having fun with this car.

The mid-cycle facelift comes along with quite a few mechanical changes as Honda has installed newly developed two-piece brake rotors coupled to updated brake pads designed to reduce fade and boost the stopping power at high speeds. In addition, the 2020 Civic Type R has a modified suspension with optimized dampers increasing comfort during normal driving.

Honda’s engineers have developed a new set of rear bushings that are stiffer than before to improve grip, while the front suspension has been modified to make the steering feel more direct by reducing friction.

Stepping inside the cabin, the performance hatchback has a new steering wheel wrapped in Alcantara, along with a different shifter featuring a redesigned knob and shorter shift throws. In the United States, the Honda Sensing array of safety and driver assistance systems will come as standard, making the 2020 model year the first time Honda Sensing is offered as standard equipment across the entire Civic lineup.

Underneath the hood you’ll find the same turbocharged 2.0-liter gasoline engine making 306 horsepower and 295 pound-feet (400 Newton-meters) of torque. Output is channeled to the front axle through a six-speed, close-ratio manual transmission and a limited-slip differential. As before, drivers will get to pick between three selectable modes (Comfort, Sport, +R) that change throttle and steering response as well as the firmness of the suspension.

The 2020MY debuts Honda’s Active Sound Control that will modify the sound heard inside the cabin depending on the selected drive mode.

Honda says additional details about its revised hot hatch for the U.S. market will be released closer to the vehicle’s launch programmed for later this year. For the time being, there’s no word about a potential hardcore version to reclaim the title for the fastest front-wheel-drive production car at the Nürburgring, a title currently held by the Renault Megane RS Trophy-R with a time of 7 minutes and 40.1 seconds or nearly four seconds quicker than the Type R.

My 2018 CTR is going up for sale this week
PM im in CO
TBH the only upgrade I'm interested in is the new gearbox. The stock exhaust for me is just like shit, so I've changed the exhaust into Greddy.
Sponsored

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

garysan

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sandersonandson.com
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R & BMW M135i
Country flag
In the United States, the Honda Sensing array of safety and driver assistance systems will come as standard, making the 2020 model year the first time Honda Sensing is offered as standard equipment across the entire Civic lineup.

The 2020MY debuts Honda’s Active Sound Control that will modify the sound heard inside the cabin depending on the selected drive mode.
The Collision Detection/Warning/Emergency Braking system is (for me) horrendous. Far too sensitive and goes off all the time - this wouldn't be a problem if it just flashed up a warning in the dash or beeped if it thought you were ignoring/hadn't seen the warning but no, it'll grab a boot-full of brake (full to the point of ABS) if it deems it necessary. It's bitten me several times and made me look a right c**t... I actually felt the brake pedal move away from my foot the other day as I began to press it.

Yes you can turn it off but that requires a several seconds depress on the button every time you start the car followed by a loud audible beep and then an orange warning icon remains in the dash which clutters that up further.

No thanks to the Active Sound Control too. BMW have been doing this for a few years now (piping fake engine noise into the cabin). At least with BMW you can code it out as it does get tiresome after a while.

On a more positive note: I really like the new blue :)

Pierito

First Name
Piero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type-R (CW), 2007 Honda S2000 (SS)
Country flag
About time! Well there is some good and some bad here imo. The suspension, brakes, shifter tweaks sound good. The revised grill opening is good. I still think the lower grill revision looks bad. The fake engine noise is a big L for me and I definitely don't want Honda sensing or an "Alcántara" steering wheel.

I'll probably buy the revised grille part and call it a day.

Love the new blue!

HRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
It seems like the 2020 owners will have the same ability as the 17-19 owners to modify with OEM parts if desired. Get the older steering wheel if fake suede bothers them, unplug the active noise if it is anything like the Si unit. Not so bad I think. Seems like win win for both camps who can "OEM tune" to get what they want. The 2020 Civic crew in the Main CivicX forum area have already swapped the colored "wing" grille pieces for black ones and it tones it down a lot. Seems like quite a lot of options to adjust to taste!

Deleted member 31314

CTR owners: we want to see a smaller wing, smaller wheel options, real vents etc....

Honda: let's give them more weight, fake engine noise, and semi- realish vents.

I hope they get the volume knob other wise ooh boy....lol

Ouhei

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR
Country flag
Some of y'all are way too sensitive about different model years being different...

I like some of the changes, but it's nothing that makes me mad I got the 2019. Depending on the pricing of some of the parts (rotors, vents, grill) I may pick them up at some point. My guess is some of the prices are going to be high enough that I'd just go aftermarket anyways (looking at you, 2 piece rotors).

JohnEBlaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 CW Type R
Country flag
Gross bumper and nothing notable other than the short shifter. I’m more than happy having an 18. It’s interesting they went with flat plastic on the front grills and honeycomb on the rear?

Alcantara steering wheel - no thanks.

Updated grill for cool - eBay grills show there’s little to no difference.

Honda Sense and piped in sound. No thanks.

The article makes it seem as if the suspension overall will be more suited for street and the rear bushing are to make up for this. Again no thanks.

Two piece rotors and updated pads not really worth the time to swap until it’s needed.

I guess in summary it’s slightly heavier vehicle with no real performance enhancements.

Last edited:

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
CTR owners: we want to see a smaller wing, smaller wheel options, real vents etc....

Honda: let's give them more weight, fake engine noise, and semi- realish vents.

I hope they get the volume knob other wise ooh boy....lol
Im pretty sure only non CTR owners wanted a smaller wing.

JohnEBlaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 CW Type R
Country flag
Some of y'all are way too sensitive about different model years being different...

I like some of the changes, but it's nothing that makes me mad I got the 2019. Depending on the pricing of some of the parts (rotors, vents, grill) I may pick them up at some point. My guess is some of the prices are going to be high enough that I'd just go aftermarket anyways (looking at you, 2 piece rotors).
LMAO off at anyone getting angry about an updated car. However I wouldn’t be surprised.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Another variant of the R is in the works; I am expecting a possible Chicago Auto Show reveal. It is very possible that this is the Acura S concept, however.

The CTR picked up some minor refreshments, none of which will be looked down upon on. The grill update was almost a necessity as it has been the weakest link of the car.

One thing is true- Honda has sold a lot of R's and it will continue to do so.