REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!!

OP
OP
REDRAGN

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Do you think the Paragon R5 pads would be worthwhile for those of us who do spirited canyon runs but not tracking our CTR? Thanks.
Honest opinion but with a caveat...I am used to my previous daily drivers with full track spec coil overs and racing brake setups so I'll almost always choose actual safety/performance over comfort.

That being said the CTR with the front R5 is awesome and well worth the upgrade IF you are ok with some brake noise during light pedal force stops and increased pad dust.

I have not noticed any ill effects of normal around town driving outside of the noise and dust. Additionally, I have tracked them in the rain with stopping speeds of 115+ and the modulation was still very predictable.

If benefit of dramatically increased initial bite for spirited driving far outweighs those negatives factors for you personally; then you have your answer...check out @Unity Performance for great prices and fast shipping! (maybe I need a sponsorship ;))
Sponsored

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Honest opinion but with a caveat...I am used to my previous daily drivers with full track spec coil overs and racing brake setups so I'll almost always choose actual safety/performance over comfort.

That being said the CTR with the front R5 is awesome and well worth the upgrade IF you are ok with some brake noise during light pedal force stops and increased pad dust.

I have not noticed any ill effects of normal around town driving outside of the noise and dust. Additionally, I have tracked them in the rain with stopping speeds of 115+ and the modulation was still very predictable.

If benefit of dramatically increased initial bite for spirited driving far outweighs those negatives factors for you personally; then you have your answer...check out @Unity Performance for great prices and fast shipping! (maybe I need a sponsorship ;))
Echoing your statement, I've been daily driving the CTR with the R5 Pads as well. Other than the low speed squeal when nearing a stop and more dust being metallic pads, the R5 do really well.

The pads perform well from cold, and get better with heat in them. Modulation when cold is also excellent, as well as driving in rain. Car should be off the road before the snow hits so I won't be able to comment on winter use, but looking forward to running this setup all season next year.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that we may reach out asking for help on testing parts ? Thanks for supporting brother, we're all learning and enjoying together ??

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
You want a needle/probe tire pyrometer for tire temps (nice write-up here). I always have mine with me and you are welcome to use it at Road Atlanta.

If you like the NT05 you may step up to the NT01, not the fastest compound these days, but many still like them. I loved the Bridgestone RE71 and recently switched to the Kumho Ecsta V730. The RE71 would cycle out after 5 days/20 sessions including driving one hour to and from the track. Other sticky choices are the Yokohama ADVAN A052 and Falken Azenis RT660.

When I drive farther out, I use the Falken Azenis RT615K+, can also put the Dunlop Direzza ZIII and the Hankook RS-4 in this category.
I have used both the NT-01 and Hankook RS4 on my CTR. The Nitto takes a bit of time to come up to temp but is very consistent while the Hankook is a bit faster but not for all that long. Big advantage of the Hankook is that you can drive it to the track on them even in the rain while the NT-01s will be risky in bad weather. Both are vastly superior to NT-05s.

Yoko A052s are great for a couple of quick laps but are not designed to handle a ton of heat.

OP
OP
REDRAGN

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Ok first a caveat for all you action fans. Since I know y'all are tired of pics of my car in race track parking lots, I got some professional photos on order from this track day so y'all don't loose interest! I'll post when they come in.

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! {filename}

On to the update: October 24 at Road Atlanta with Chin Track Days. Great weather with a high around 75ish. I got around 4 solid sessions in and clean laps were hard fought due to lots of traffic! I had a goal in mind of a 1:42 lap...Stock CTR with wheels, tires, brakes.

Success! I actually managed (3) 1:42.xx laps in this session...last and hottest session of the day. My max speed was down from an earlier high of 137mph so power was definitely being pulled. I would have had closer to that theoretical 1:42.07 but for some traffic at turn 10a/b.

One big note was that from my previous driving/racing experience, I was still subconsciously trying to heal/toe. With the rev match turned on this was not good! Once I figured that out and was able to fully dedicate my right foot to braking...magic! That system is amazing for sure.

I was really able to put together some good laps after I got my comfort with the car higher and my tire pressures sorted out to give me lots of rotation/oversteer. At -1.8 front camber it seems like 32psi front 34psi rear was optimal on these Nitto NT05 200TW...which I'm happy to hear from @Code Monkey and @Dave B are kinda slow tires! Maybe I can "buy" another second with better tires soon. Here they are after 3 track days this season...approximately 550 track miles and maybe 2k street miles.

Prior to the event, I had to replace front rotors due to the start of heat cracks around the cross drilled holes.

I replaced with OEM Brembo rotors, reused the R5 pads but added the Paragon Ti shims, and bled the system with Motul RBF 600. So shiny! No pics but I started the day with around 1/2 rear pads. I just do the long push VSA off in R+ mode. I did not anticipate the extreme wear...I think I'm finally beginning to push hard enough. The rears are basically gone now! Looking to upgrade to Paragon P3 rears from @Unity Performance soon. And once I need rotors again I plan to upgrade with the Paragon 2 piece.

As stated earlier in the thread, I added the @procivic front grills...these really correct a huge flaw (IMHO) of the huge fake grills. I absolutely love them and the fit & finish I'd rate at 98%.
Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! MbA08y8PoukzPo1RDyZrYFR54_=w983-h737-no?authuser=0

The Revel Oil temp gauge and PRL intake tube did not show up in time. But I did get another garage upgrade...US General 72" tool chest. Basically the best box for the money out right now. No its not as sexy as SNAPON, which I have personally owned, but its well built and more box than any home mechanic could ever need!
Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! INmHzhe-FDcyvoIZiISzW8abje=w876-h657-no?authuser=0

Last edited:
OP
OP
REDRAGN

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Ok...track pic spam time! Just in case any of y'all were worried I wasn't actually getting out on track...:cool: These are all Road Atlanta last weekend.
Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! fyOO8ubHfJrdWBOb9jbuCUm82=w1106-h737-no?authuser=0

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! MdRcA5_faZe7rtt2xaJMHdo8u=w1106-h737-no?authuser=0

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! t-kiyPZrIYBJvAIL0svTnl4Tg=w1106-h737-no?authuser=0

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! 9W1xk92oMSix8F6tRDRxCCPGz=w1106-h737-no?authuser=0

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! BYB67DfTy2BuQtmSQim6LKYOa=w1106-h737-no?authuser=0

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! Ilc0alPMS1VGkitPgBUlWUguL=w1106-h737-no?authuser=0

OP
OP
REDRAGN

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Update: Getting ready for Road Atl this Sunday. Weather is looking cold and great for boost!

Rear pads were toast after the last outing so I picked up the Autel MaxiAP200 on Amazon and it worked great for putting the car into and out of rear brake pad service mode! I went with some OEM+ style Powerstop rear pads for now...I'll let y'all know how they work! Bled the entire system with fresh Motul 600.

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! dsufe46dWnJMohK1R9gVnRs7m9=w800-h600-no?authuser=0

Added a front tow hook from USR...just in case. Check out those sexy rubber stripes on the bumper!

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! nQD-ra601eiI9L152LKSWYCYAx=w450-h600-no?authuser=0

Got the PRL intake tube installed. Thanks @kefi

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! AWh2dmgEqdteOyTVAEoVy8oCPT=w800-h600-no?authuser=0

And here is a pic from last months SCCA Track Night at AMP. This is the end of the front straight turning into turn 1.

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! pkVQOjRNNrn-D5QeYLbBKAANLg=w900-h600-no?authuser=0

I'm hoping for a low 1:42.xx at Road Atlanta this weekend but that's up in the air as the group I'm running with put me in the Intermediate/limited passing group.

This will likely be my last track day of the year and I've been giving serious thoughts as to what next year will look like. Just continuing to run track days, SCCA Time Attack, NASA Time Trials, ect...not sure yet but my decision will guide my mods going forward.

I think at a minimum my next purchases will be a Simpson Hybrid HANS and a C&R radiator. I was also looking into options for better restraints that provide more driver support and are as safe as the stock 3 point belts(Schroth Quickfit Pro?).

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Good stuff man, glad to see you putting in work! Makes me jelly because track season is over here in MN.

I had a great chuckle though. A month or two ago, there was some ass clown on facebook preaching about how if you want to go fast on the track, its impossible to do with a FBO stock turbo type R. He was talking up his 500hp big turbo FK8 which didnt lap Road Atlanta in nearly the amount of time you did, I think with some traffic he was in the low 2 minutes. I think he got flamed to oblivion.

OP
OP
REDRAGN

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Good stuff man, glad to see you putting in work! Makes me jelly because track season is over here in MN.

I had a great chuckle though. A month or two ago, there was some ass clown on facebook preaching about how if you want to go fast on the track, its impossible to do with a FBO stock turbo type R. He was talking up his 500hp big turbo FK8 which didnt lap Road Atlanta in nearly the amount of time you did, I think with some traffic he was in the low 2 minutes. I think he got flamed to oblivion.
Exactly...when I was younger I thought speed was throwing money at parts (which can make the car fast)...but now I know its whos between the seat, pedals, and steering wheel that makes a car fast! Case in point: get in a pack of Mazda Cup MX-5....those guys are fast!

OP
OP
REDRAGN

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Track Day recap: Road Atlanta Sunday 21NOV2021 with MVP Track Time

Obligatory boring paddock pic in my usual spot.

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! wJnCfLn_G1QAsHel6FQDUqkGU3=w800-h600-no?authuser=0

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! 9xDttKp9sMeUMjQBqgl8rrLG4t=w451-h600-no?authuser=0

I actually put my full track gear on, it was cold and I was planning on going fast which meant a bit of extra danger.

Remember when I was being a bitch about getting put in Intermediate and thinking I would not get any good clear track for fast laps...well this happened.

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! Z7fAgVyq_L-zZt7_wFsRUaAAKQ=w800-h600-no?authuser=0

Boom! This is on 200TW Nitto NT05, 18" wheels, -1.8* negative camber up front (guide pins removed), Paragon R5 Front pads with Ti shims, Powerstop Z23 rear pads, Motul RBF600, PRL intake tube only with K&N drop in filter...otherwise all stock CTR.

According to Global Time Attack the track record at Rd Atl in Enthusiast Class FWD record is 1:41.032 and was set by a CTR!

My performance all weekend was similar, 3-4 laps out the gate to get everything up to temp and get me in my rhythm, run a cooldown lap, and then a fast flyer seemed to work best. The cold weather seemed to help as my back straight speeds were consistently 138-140mph vs the 137 max mph I was saw in October before it dropped off the 133ish.

Lets just say my 1:40.xx lap was on the extreme edge of my current setup...lots of gators, sliding, and even a bit of gravel involved!

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! gpXBHn1NBJXuuRWFFH9xeMIq7V=w800-h600-no?authuser=0

That yellow is paint from the gators!

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! cI-62NSMP3qtm5zGHCbQfA_dko=w800-h600-no?authuser=0

Right rear kissed the gravel exiting turn 5...but didn't lift!

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! g_bo1832gd3P6hC3FXazUY73D0=w450-h600-no?authuser=0

Pretty sure this was the last heat cycle these are gonna hold up to...fast lap was 30psi F 32psi R on warmish tire temps.

I did get a check engine light with a U0155 code that cut a session short and that set off the emissions/rev match system issues. Luckily I had my scan gauge with me and was able to reset it with no further issues. Seems like this U0155 code is FCAN issues...anyone have any advice? I did have an AEROFORCE gauge plugged into the OBD is that could be an issue?!

And in other news...I got my garagedoor opener moved off-center so I can get another couple of feet of height on the lift.

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! sZmW4s72wr4kWWZDdNbHJnu-wR=w800-h600-no?authuser=0

And don't hold that little yappy dog against me...

OP
OP
REDRAGN

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
So I had a bit more time to inspect the car post track...pretty disappointed with these OEM Brembo rotors...this is only around 275 track miles spread across 2 track days on them; heat cracks already starting :thumbsdown:
Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! 3Fi1AQZHjcZptaahTeTQpHQx9f=w983-h737-no?authuser=0

Guess an upgrade is in the works for some 2 piece slotted not drilled for next season!

midlyfecrysisFK8

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R (FK8) Boost Blue
Country flag
Looking awesome as always man. I have a way to go to catch you, but I am glad for the sub 2 minute. Hope to see you out there next year. Promised the wife I wouldn't track again until March...

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! Screenshot_20211107-141453 (1)

OP
OP
REDRAGN

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Looking awesome as always man. I have a way to go to catch you, but I am glad for the sub 2 minute. Hope to see you out there next year. Promised the wife I wouldn't track again until March...

I'm guessing this was during the Petit Sush Sessions? Good work! You'll be able to shave lots of time off as you get faster out of turn 6 and hammer down the back straight! That current 124 mph max speed will be 135+ mph in no time!

I'm done for the year as well...prepping for next year and looking forward to entering some actual time attack style events!

E404

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' SGP FK8
Country flag
And in other news...I got my garagedoor opener moved off-center so I can get another couple of feet of height on the lift.
For future reference, (incase your opener goes kapoot) I recommend having a Liftmaster 8500w installed. May require a torsion conversion as well, but you could at that point get longer vertical tracking to bring the door closer to the ceiling! Looks like it could be brought up comfortably another 10-12 inches.

(I do installs and repairs of garage doors and openers)

OP
OP
REDRAGN

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
For future reference, (incase your opener goes kapoot) I recommend having a Liftmaster 8500w installed. May require a torsion conversion as well, but you could at that point get longer vertical tracking to bring the door closer to the ceiling! Looks like it could be brought up comfortably another 10-12 inches.

(I do installs and repairs of garage doors and openers)
You are 1000% correct! Good eye!

I honestly do need to go that route...for now I do have the emergency outside release still hooked up just in case the opener dies I'll be able to manually open and close the door.

Future plan is to vault the ceiling so I can lift cars as high as the lift is capable...until then I'm still pretty happy with the current height...sure beats the old jack stands!
Sponsored