REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!!

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Just picked up a new to me 2019 CTR for track use. For some context, I formerly raced NASA Honda Challenge HC4 and have participated in multiple HPDE events at tracks across the Southeast.

I'll be attending a single day event at Atlanta Motorsports Park in Dawsonville, GA on Sunday 29 AUG. This is a fairly technical track with 16 turns and lots of elevation change. Temps are currently projected at an 82 degree high with possible rain.

After lots of research on civicx, here is my prep for this event.

Factory suspension with front strut guide pins pulled and set to max negative camber
Motegi Track Light 18x9.5 with new 275/35/18 Nitto NT05 tires
Pro Car Studio Pro Design Mesh Syle Grill installed
Factory brake rotors and new pads with Motul RBF 600 fluid
Motul 8100 0w20 oil and OEM filter
New NGK OEM spec Iridium spark plugs
K&N drop in air filter
Fresh Honda MTF
Full clear bra
ZL1 Addons F&R rock guards

I'll get an alignment on Friday and have toe set at zero front and rear unless there is an alternate setting that works better for learning the CTR limits.
I think air pressures cold will depend on track and outside temps but I'll likely start around 34/35psi and adjust from there based on tire wear, handling, and hot temps
Depending on temps I'll cut on the heater to help combat hot coolant if necessary...if I get lucky with a high of 82 degrees the car might do ok heat wise. However, there is not an abundance of long cooling straightaways at AMP so we will see.

Y'all feel free to give me your thoughts and feedback...please keep in mind, most of these are not full on performance parts. I have freshened up all the fluids and wear items needed for safety & minimum required specs to deal with track temps. In the interest of learning the CTR strengths and weaknesses I wanted to put it on the track before I dive into performance upgrades.
Sponsored

roflitzjinno

First Name
Jinno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Country flag
Main thing is just getting out there and getting seat time in for yourself and having fun.

Only thing I'd do is start with a lower pressure. I don't know how high the NT05's jump up to, but I know I like my hot pressures between 32-34 depending on tire. If you're starting at 34-35 it will more than likely be upwards to 40+ when hot and will not be a fun time for you or those tires. Could lead to premature wear on the inside of the tire for being over inflated.

Keep an eye on those temps. I could normally 2 to 3 hot laps for before taking a nice cooldown in the middle of the session for a lap or so, then jumping back on it for another 2 laps at most. The car is very easily controllable stock. Even more so with good brakes and tires. I feel it rarely slipped the rear out unless I was forcing it to do so. Be mindful of your pedal feel with the stock brakes even with upgraded fluid. My pedal was mushy after 1.5 laps at Road America due to high speed braking zones. I have since upgraded pads and rotors and it's 10X better.

dsm_mikey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 23 ZL1 1LE, 07 S2000, 05 350Z, 86 190e 16V
Country flag
Just picked up a new to me 2019 CTR for track use. For some context, I formerly raced NASA Honda Challenge HC4 and have participated in multiple HPDE events at tracks across the Southeast.

I'll be attending a single day event at Atlanta Motorsports Park in Dawsonville, GA on Sunday 29 AUG. This is a fairly technical track with 16 turns and lots of elevation change. Temps are currently projected at an 82 degree high with possible rain.

After lots of research on civicx, here is my prep for this event.

Factory suspension with front strut guide pins pulled and set to max negative camber
Factory brake rotors and new pads with Motul RBF 600 fluid
Motul 8100 0w20 oil and OEM filter
New NGK OEM spec Iridium spark plugs
K&N drop in air filter
Fresh Honda MTF
Full clear bra

I'll get an alignment on Friday and have toe set at zero front and rear unless there is an alternate setting that works better for learning the CTR limits.
I think air pressures cold will depend on track and outside temps but I'll likely start around 34/35psi and adjust from there based on tire wear, handling, and hot temps
Depending on temps I'll cut on the heater to help combat hot coolant if necessary...if I get lucky with a high of 82 degrees the car might do ok heat wise. However, there is not an abundance of long cooling straightaways at AMP so we will see.

Y'all feel free to give me your thoughts and feedback...please keep in mind, most of these are not full on performance parts. I have freshened up all the fluids and wear items needed for safety & minimum required specs to deal with track temps. In the interest of learning the CTR strengths and weaknesses I wanted to put it on the track before I dive into performance upgrades.
If you drive the car hard you will be having major power pulled within 1 lap...my prediction...I hope I am wrong.

This happened to me at Road America in 72 degrees with the C&R track radiator installed and the heater on high. I also had a C&R intercooler installed. No other engine mods or tunes.

Cooling modifications are so crucial to tracking this platform.

OP
OP
REDRAGN

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Main thing is just getting out there and getting seat time in for yourself and having fun.

Only thing I'd do is start with a lower pressure. I don't know how high the NT05's jump up to, but I know I like my hot pressures between 32-34 depending on tire. If you're starting at 34-35 it will more than likely be upwards to 40+ when hot and will not be a fun time for you or those tires. Could lead to premature wear on the inside of the tire for being over inflated.

Keep an eye on those temps. I could normally 2 to 3 hot laps for before taking a nice cooldown in the middle of the session for a lap or so, then jumping back on it for another 2 laps at most. The car is very easily controllable stock. Even more so with good brakes and tires. I feel it rarely slipped the rear out unless I was forcing it to do so. Be mindful of your pedal feel with the stock brakes even with upgraded fluid. My pedal was mushy after 1.5 laps at Road America due to high speed braking zones. I have since upgraded pads and rotors and it's 10X better.
For sure the goal is fun. Back when I actually raced I rarely had fun because I was always so serious about it. Hopefully I can just enjoy the experience of finally having a CTR on the track!

And point taken on the tires...I'll start start the pressures lower.

I actually signed up for the novice run group with an instructor in car so I don't think I'll get to push hard enough to truly tax the cooling system or brakes (we shall see). I figured after a few years off track I'd put pride aside and ease back in safely as I learn a new track.

OP
OP
REDRAGN

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
If you drive the car hard you will be having major power pulled within 1 lap...my prediction...I hope I am wrong.

This happened to me at Road America in 72 degrees with the C&R track radiator installed and the heater on high. I also had a C&R intercooler installed. No other engine mods or tunes.
Wow..yeah I have read through your thread about your car and mods. I was hopeful that the car could withstand some light track use. But am definitely aware its hit or miss at best.
My next track event will be Road Atlanta in October 23-24 when it should be much cooler.

OP
OP
REDRAGN

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Alignment update:

I was pleasantly surprised by the result as I see many stock suspension CTR with very different front R&L camber setting after pulling the guide pins. I pulled mine with the suspension unloaded/car on jack stands and made sure to keep tension while pushing the struts towards max negative camber as i torqued the bolts back down...maybe that helped? Or maybe my subframe is just fairly centered...either way I'm happy for the results a basically free mod.

Here are my final specs

Camber LF 1.8 RF 1.9
LR 1.8 RR 1.6
Caster LF 7.0 RF 7.3
Toe Zero all corners

Looks like a future purchase will definitely be front and rear camber adjustment joints/arms.

OP
OP
REDRAGN

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Ok here is the least data driven track report ever...

Wife had been feeling bad for a few day and was showing some Covid symptoms this morning (morning of event). So in an abundance of caution I decided not to attend. She actually managed to get a Dr. Appt and a rapid PCR test around 10 am this morning and got a negative result.

Since the track is local we decided to just cruise over and let her and the daughter experience a track event as neither had ever been. Right as we were leaving the house I decided to grab my helmet and tech inspection forms just in case!

Upon arrival at the track I let them know we were there to watch and they said why not get some laps in?! So i unloaded the carseat and floor mats and got a quick check ride with one of the instructors. After a few laps they turned me loose and I ran two full 30 minute sessions with a 30 minute cool down in-between.

Ran in R+ mode with the long press VSC off. I have no idea of my tire pressures (32psi cold when I left the house). I have no idea of lap times. Outside temp was 88-89 degrees. Temp gauge never moved over half way. Roughly 85 mph in turn 15 and 99 mph on the front straight for reference. Some very slight tire rub on the front fender tab and wear marks were right up to the edge of the tread.

Honestly the car is faster than I am at this point while learning a new track, but my second session out consisted of some fairly hot laps and no cooling issues.

It was a fun and quick afternoon at the track and I was pleasantly surprised with the CTRs maiden track voyage.

GGinMP

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
Great that your wife tested Covid-negative, AND that you got some lap time in! Awesome that you didn't have over-heating issues!

OP
OP
REDRAGN

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Next up: Road Atlanta Oct 3rd and 24th in the CTR with Chin Track Days.

Current Setup:
Factory suspension with front strut guide pins pulled and set to max negative camber to -1.8
Factory brake rotors and new Paragon R5 pads with Motul RBF 600 fluid
Motul 8100 0w20 oil and Wix filter
NGK OEM spec Iridium spark plugs
K&N drop in air filter
Fresh AC Delco Symcromesh
Acuity Shift Cable Bushings
Adjusted the clutch pushrod and pedal
Full clear bra
Mishimoto 19 Row Oil Cooler with modified bumper trim piece and removed foglight
Aeroforce Interceptor gauge with additional oil temp sensor added to the oil filter sandwich plate

The oil cooler, R5 pads, Acuity bushings, trans fluid, clutch adjustment, and gauge setup are all new since my last track day.

If you haven't checked and/or adjusted you clutch pushrod/pedal do yourself a favor... https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/clutch-pedal-adjustment-gear-grind-fix.42528/#post-1058726 (big thanks to @Lust)

Lots of comments for or against the Mishimoto Oil Cooler (or anything by them honestly) ...so far it has sealed up nicely with no leaks and I did like the larger 19 row size. It will eventually need some custom ducting from the bumper and I'll keep a check on R&L front brake temps/wear. Otherwise its a nice kit and I got it brand new from jason@dashautosports who is local to me and I like to support local small businesses.

The R5 pads from @Unity Performance are amazing so far. My only point of reference is the OEM pads but lots of folks on here run them. Looking forward to reporting back on them.

Having trouble calibrating the oil temp sensor on the Aeroforce gauge. Anyone that has this setup have any tips? At least I can now monitor coolant and IAT temps to get some data! I plan to monitor post intercooler IAT and Coolant temp as it exits the radiator...unless I hear different from y'all!

Hopefully we will be having some nice fall temps this weekend (forecast shows overcast with a high of 80) and I can get some good laps in. Looks like multiple 30 min sessions throughout the day culminating in a 60 minute open track! Definitely going to burn through lots of fuel. Most of my track experience is at Rd Atl (20+ days) so I'm looking forward to learning more about the CTRs limits.

Look forward to any comments or tips. I'll stop being lazy and get some pics and data when I update post track!

Last edited:

Code Monkey

First Name
Rafal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I will be in a yellow BRZ and instructing, feel free to say hi and if you feel like you need a coaching session or a ride along that can be arranged as well. :)

E404

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' SGP FK8
Country flag

Current Setup:
Factory suspension with front strut guide pins pulled and set to max negative camber to -1.8
Factory brake rotors and new Paragon R5 pads with Motul RBF 600 fluid
Motul 8100 0w20 oil and Wix filter
NGK OEM spec Iridium spark plugs
K&N drop in air filter
Fresh AC Delco Symcromesh
Acuity Shift Cable Bushings
Adjusted the clutch pushrod and pedal
Full clear bra
Mishimoto 19 Row Oil Cooler with modified bumper trim piece and removed foglight
Aeroforce Interceptor gauge with additional oil temp sensor added to the oil filter sandwich plate

The oil cooler, R5 pads, Acuity bushings, trans fluid, clutch adjustment, and gauge setup are all new since my last track day.

If you haven't checked and/or adjusted you clutch pushrod/pedal do yourself a favor... https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/clutch-pedal-adjustment-gear-grind-fix.42528/#post-1058726 (big thanks to @Lust)

Lots of comments for or against the Mishimoto Oil Cooler (or anything by them honestly) ...so far it has sealed up nicely with no leaks and I did like the larger 19 row size. It will eventually need some custom ducting from the bumper and I'll keep a check on R&L front brake temps/wear. Otherwise its a nice kit and I got it brand new from Jason@DASHautosports who is local to me and I like to support local small businesses.

The R5 pads from @Unity Performance are amazing so far. My only point of reference is the OEM pads but lots of folks on here run them. Looking forward to reporting back on them.

Having trouble calibrating the oil temp sensor on the Aeroforce gauge. Anyone that has this setup have any tips? At least I can now monitor coolant and IAT temps to get some data! I plan to monitor post intercooler IAT and Coolant temp as it exits the radiator...unless I hear different from y'all!

Hopefully we will be having some nice fall temps this weekend (forecast shows overcast with a high of 80) and I can get some good laps in. Looks like multiple 30 min sessions throughout the day culminating in a 60 minute open track! Definitely going to burn through lots of fuel. Most of my track experience is at Rd Atl (20+ days) so I'm looking forward to learning more about the CTRs limits.

Look forward to any comments or tips. I'll stop being lazy and get some pics and data when I update post track!
Do you have any rubbing on the back tires with 275s? Also what's the offset on your wheels?

OP
OP
REDRAGN

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Do you have any rubbing on the back tires with 275s? Also what's the offset on your wheels?
45mm offset. I had extremely minor rubbing in the rear last outing. All laps were run in R+ mode.
I'll report any additional rubbing from this upcoming session!

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds like a really good start! The only thing I was going to mention is also starting tire pressures lower. I aim for 31-32 hot depending on track, so usually start around 29-30 cold and usually up to temp by the first hot lap.

OP
OP
REDRAGN

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Oct 3rd with Chin Track Days @ Rd Atl review:

Dropped the car off on Saturday afternoon for tech and registration as this was my first time with Chin. https://chintrackdays.com/ They are a first class organization and lots of fast drivers and cars.

Sunday morning drivers meeting followed by a 30 minute yellow flag driver orientation open track. I needed it since I had not been on Rd Atl in a while! All my previous track time was in my 94 EG hatch with 127whp so needless to say the CTR was a considerable difference even on a track I have hours of time on.

Gradually picked up time as the day went on. The highest ambient temp was around 80 degrees and mostly overcast. There were a few scattered showers and my last session was on a wet track. Only session I got a lap time was in the wet...1:47.35.

Rode a session with @Code Monkey in his BRZ and hung on for dear life! I can see why people enjoy BRZ/86s and word is the 2nd gen fixes most of the cars deficiencies! He is an instructor with Chin and a great guy. Afterwards he jumped in with me and helped me find lots of speed...to the point where I really needed to re-evaluate my braking points! I wish I had gotten some dry lap times...I'll get some kind of data acquisition before Oct 24th!

I ran 4 - 30 minute sessions in temps ranging from 65 - 80 degrees. I could not really ever get tire temps where I wanted them as I was picking up speed throughout the day. Started cold at 29 psi and dropped as low as 27 cold...hot pressures still creeped over 36 psi as I got faster. But, even with only 1.8 negative front camber I was not rolling over on the outside edges. Guess that means I need to drive harder...

I never noted any coolant temps over 199 degrees at sensor measuring the radiator exit back into the engine but "might" have felt a bit of power drop?

Never go my oil temp sensor to work...but the cooler didn't leak and that's a win! I'd say it could not hurt things to have extra capacity and some extra cooling capability.

I was not able to take any actual brake temps but kept a close eye on the front drivers side since the factory duct was removed with the Mishimoto kit. There was no "noticeable" higher heat discoloration or pad wear noted between driver & passenger sides throughout the day.

My fastest speed was 132 mph on the back straight and honestly it had a bit more...I lifted as braking confidence into 10a was just not there yet. However, the Paragon R5 front pads delivered as advertised. Extreme bite yet able to modulate as necessary...I have no reason to try another pad at this time.

No discernable rubbing or contact in the rear this outing with the Motegi/275 wheel tire setup.

I logged 163 miles on track.

Pics soon!
Sponsored

Last edited: