REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!!

OP
OP
REDRAGN

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Just read through this from the beginning. I can’t believe you hit 140 down the back straight at road Atlanta stock. That’s very impressive. I’ve only done two track days in my life, one at Road Atlanta last year in July. It was hot, but I only managed 125. I can’t imagine staying in the throttle long enough to hit 140 heading into 10A. That takes more guts than I’ve got. Looking forward to reading more updates!
Thanks for checking it out. And technically was just mostly stock at the time! Wheels, tires, and brake pads, when properly selected, are enough to change the whole situation on track. Plus I have thousands of laps at Rd Atlanta...which just means I know it well enough to get myself in trouble :cool:

You just need more track time in your life :thumbsup: and you'll get faster every time out!
Sponsored

OP
OP
REDRAGN

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Interesting observation about the front brake pads. Maybe the oil cooler works better than I thought it might.

Also interesting that you didn't have any of the same issue with your rear brake pads.
I have not seen over 220 F on the oil temp since I installed the cooler...but its never been above about 65 F ambient while I've been on track...I'll update as it gets hotter.

But I would say to your point; not only is the cooler blocking some air flow the brakes would have normally received, it is definitely heating up the air that flows through it that does reach the drivers side brake.

And on the subject of rear pads...I have put OEM and OEM plus through the same conditions as the PowerStop that failed with no issues (I ran a non ceramic OEM style pad for Gridlife). Possibly a bad batch? In any event, I am waiting for them to respond and I'll report back. I have used their pads, rotors and even calipers for years and currently have them on my Ford Raptor and TRD 4Runner with no issues...definitely not bashing them but I do like to honestly report everything to y'all.

OP
OP
REDRAGN

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Well PowerStop kinda let me down. They claim their Z series brake pads are not for track use, I get that. However, I explained in my extensive email that I have used OEM and other OEM + brand rear pads under the same conditions with no issues - both before and after the issue with their pads.

They basically just said thanks for the info, looks like the pad dragged, thanks for being a long time customer.

While I did not expect any special treatment, it felt a bit like a cop-out on their part to not even offer any type of potential resolution.

I will continue to use their products on my personal vehicles, but wont go out of my way to do so either.

Now for more uplifting news:

Stopped by to see @Jason@DASHautosports and pick up my tires and brake pads for GTA.

Here is is quick comparison of the Goodyears vs the Falkens...same size. The photo makes them seem different but they are very close in overall width. TireRack says Goodyear overall width is 10.9 with a 10" tread width and Falken are 11.2 with 10.1 tread.

I'll be looking forward to seeing how they do during testing @ Rd Atlanta with Jzilla on April 14th! I need to at least dip into the low 1:39s to be competitive for GTA ?

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! XEe38-fbqIcuCN9TcXepfR--aA=w493-h657-no?authuser=0

Then I got distracted by the new toy at DASH :cool:

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! TlXBhGMZJK8ugk0GM6tyPjUQAQ=w876-h657-no?authuser=0

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! 63YV1pFTZimDnJOUI_BBdhc4Yw=w876-h657-no?authuser=0

Jason already said I cant drive it, something about "You break it, you buy it" and I cant afford to buy it!

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Decided I finally needed to go give the car a checkup.

Here are a few findings:

I'll need a new drivers side wheel bearing...Still under warranty but I don't think the dealer would agree!

It's time to change the transmission fluid again. I'll stick with AC Delco as it seems to be solid.

No further issues with the rear pads. I have reached out to PowerStop customer service to give them a chance to address the issue I experienced.

My front tires were making contact with the inner fender edge and it looks like the passenger side was finding a sharp spot...the rubber looks to be getting "nipped" off. I'll get a fender roller and smooth out the edges.

Lscg4arajoFN3xSYeZJKJQSWcg=w493-h657-no?authuser=0.jpg

lohpF38jX8Ks2mQLMcwJws1nvA=w493-h657-no?authuser=0.jpg

Here is the damage I did to the Titan7...I'll take file to it to smooth it down. Really happy with the strength of these wheels as that curb hit was hard enough to be a potential weekend ender!

YseqkEHw2LKNRk9WfLwnsSU1rw=w493-h657-no?authuser=0.jpg

Please take this with a grain of salt...I have no hard data only this empirical evidence: It does appear my drivers side mounted oil cooler is causing a the brakes behind it to experience more heat.

Notice the intensity of the heat damage on the pads and loss of paint on the backing plates. Drivers side

VlZW_7Dwf5JnHqQdc5I2f3ABqw=w493-h657-no?authuser=0.jpg

kJ_bfTBHDJv5Y-c4sd_EnNqRIQ=w493-h657-no?authuser=0.jpg

Passenger side

FENcmqZPvKew-bqbI7xUSoAl8A=w493-h657-no?authuser=0.jpg

AcQDVlJSQtfrW89dazlakafjNg=w493-h657-no?authuser=0.jpg

Once again, the Ti shims do appear to be protecting the caliper seals nicely. A side effect of this is that they do focus all the brake heat in the pads causing quicker wear and higher temps. However, this is not entirely bad as we would rather have an easily changed wear item like pads need replacement rather than the calipers themselves...i.e. pads are sacrificial. Make sure and pick some up from @Unity Performance as they are cheap insurance!

Additionally, I'm having to swap a few parts for Global Time Attack Enthusiast Class compliance:

RV6 compliance bushings will be swapped for Whiteline
RV6 swaybar end links will be swapped back to stock
Eibach rear toe arms will be returned to stock
Falken RT 660 200TW will be swapped for some Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 220TW in the same 275/35/18 size

Not compliance related but, I'll be trying out some Ferodo DS3 front and DS1 rear pads for Road Atlanta.

I've got a day with Jzilla on April 14th for shakedown and then GTA May 5-7...lots to get done!
Great insight from you always! Hopefully the tire rub situation will be remedied with a fender pull - you are on Swift Springs, correct?

Love seeing the Ti shims doing their job as intended. Your calipers would have been discolored by now otherwise, with dust seals drying it. Still good to keep greasing them between every event. You just spent on the the Rotors and Pads, otherwise I would have recommended on jumping in on the Paragon BBK Group Buy that's ending in 48 hours.

OP
OP
REDRAGN

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
@Unity Performance damn I know it...those Paragon 6 piston are sexy! That group buy is a smoking deal!!! And correct Swift springs.

Did someone say Endurance Car Build?! REDRAGN V3 Loading...

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! XZDbQO27J_mJso-CWmhUvT6tJQ=w876-h657-no?authuser=0

Please excuse my Raptors dumpy butt :doh:

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Just read through this entire thread, love all of it. I though I recognized your car when you posted it with the livery haha. I frequent most Gridlife events and was at AMP, but didn't think to find you in the paddock since I was playing crew chief for my GF (it was her first track event). I'll be representing my company in Club TR with an FK7 this year so if you come to any more events this year (right now I've got NCM, Gingerman, Autobahn, PPIR and potentially Limerock planned) it'd be awesome to meet you and see the car up close in person.

Also, I may be at the GTA event at Rd Atl. Have a few friends bugging me to come hang out and the GF and I went to watch last year and enjoyed it.

Oh, and I like your taste in trucks. I also had a first gen before I traded it in for a second gen haha.

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! CO 2

PS @Code Monkey glad to see you're still active on car forums! I'm moving to the Greenville SC area in a few months so I'm sure I'll bump into you at a track day sooner or later. I think I owe you a drink or two from my Mazdaspeed days haha

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
nice stuff man! the GLTC podium looks strong lmao, all those guys are so fast. I wonder if Will Au Yeung is going to be joining in on any of the events in the future.

Code Monkey

First Name
Rafal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
@Code Monkey glad to see you're still active on car forums! I'm moving to the Greenville SC area in a few months so I'm sure I'll bump into you at a track day sooner or later. I think I owe you a drink or two from my Mazdaspeed days haha
Still alive and kicking although getting old and slowing down... Wife says I drive like a pussy these days!

OP
OP
REDRAGN

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Just read through this entire thread, love all of it. I though I recognized your car when you posted it with the livery haha. I frequent most Gridlife events and was at AMP, but didn't think to find you in the paddock since I was playing crew chief for my GF (it was her first track event). I'll be representing my company in Club TR with an FK7 this year so if you come to any more events this year (right now I've got NCM, Gingerman, Autobahn, PPIR and potentially Limerock planned) it'd be awesome to meet you and see the car up close in person.

Also, I may be at the GTA event at Rd Atl. Have a few friends bugging me to come hang out and the GF and I went to watch last year and enjoyed it.

Oh, and I like your taste in trucks. I also had a first gen before I traded it in for a second gen haha.

CO 2.jpg

PS @Code Monkey glad to see you're still active on car forums! I'm moving to the Greenville SC area in a few months so I'm sure I'll bump into you at a track day sooner or later. I think I owe you a drink or two from my Mazdaspeed days haha
Thanks man!

What was the GF driving?

Loving those beadlocks on the Raptor!

Come say hey if y'all make it to GTA @ Rd Atlanta.

And @Code Monkey is still hanging in there and driving fast enough to scare me!

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Thanks man!

What was the GF driving?

Loving those beadlocks on the Raptor!

Come say hey if y'all make it to GTA @ Rd Atlanta.

And @Code Monkey is still hanging in there and driving fast enough to scare me!
She's got an FA5 Civic. She's done some light autocross for a few years but I've finally been able to push her towards tracking and she had an absolute blast.

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! fa

And thanks! I really try to avoid spending money on the truck but I really loved how these rings look and these trucks are an absolute blast aired down in sand. Other than some interior mods and rear wheel well liners it's completely stock. At some point I'll get a Deaver spring pack and hydro bumps but money is better spent elsewhere at the moment ?

I'm going to take a look at my calendar and see if I can come down for the weekend. I do love spectating at Rd Atl.

OP
OP
REDRAGN

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
She's got an FA5 Civic. She's done some light autocross for a few years but I've finally been able to push her towards tracking and she had an absolute blast.

fa.jpg

And thanks! I really try to avoid spending money on the truck but I really loved how these rings look and these trucks are an absolute blast aired down in sand. Other than some interior mods and rear wheel well liners it's completely stock. At some point I'll get a Deaver spring pack and hydro bumps but money is better spent elsewhere at the moment ?

I'm going to take a look at my calendar and see if I can come down for the weekend. I do love spectating at Rd Atl.
I like it...that's a cool color that you don't see often! She definitely got a baptism by fire @ AMP in the wet for her first track day!

And I'm like you and trying to limit Raptor spending as I now have 2 racecars! Only real mod I have done was Line-X the fender flares and front bumper. But I think I will have to add some rear springs or airbags for towing duty...especially with a tow to COTA and back in June!

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! 855e4pSAMKTioYXm1dQ1WQIqWQ=w800-h600-no?authuser=0

At least they both fit in the garage. :drive:

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! m8_iLgCk_g1Ejswv6FTKcCz-5A=w800-h600-no?authuser=0

Once I get this CTR finished, its on the lift and stripped down to nothing for this DX.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Matt, great thread so far.

Will be interested in your impressions of the change from Falken RT 660 200TW
to Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 220TW (275/35/18 size).
Last year I switched from Michelin Cup 2's in 255/35/19 on NSX rims to Goodyear F1 3R's (275/35/18) on Motegi 9.5x18 Traclite wheels. Granted the 275's are wider tire, but I could not believe the improvement in traction.

I also believe your observation with respect to the driver side front brake set getting hotter. I had also purchased a Mishimoto oil cooler kit but after my brother saw that the kit required the removal of the front brake cooling air duct on the driver side he recommended against it. I went with the USR side mounted oil cooler instead which also has a beefy oil cooler (19 row Setrab) but is mounted slightly higher so you can leave the gem plastic brake cooling duct in place on teh driver side.

OP
OP
REDRAGN

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Matt, great thread so far.

Will be interested in your impressions of the change from Falken RT 660 200TW
to Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 220TW (275/35/18 size).
Last year I switched from Michelin Cup 2's in 255/35/19 on NSX rims to Goodyear F1 3R's (275/35/18) on Motegi 9.5x18 Traclite wheels. Granted the 275's are wider tire, but I could not believe the improvement in traction.

I also believe your observation with respect to the driver side front brake set getting hotter. I had also purchased a Mishimoto oil cooler kit but after my brother saw that the kit required the removal of the front brake cooling air duct on the driver side he recommended against it. I went with the USR side mounted oil cooler instead which also has a beefy oil cooler (19 row Setrab) but is mounted slightly higher so you can leave the gem plastic brake cooling duct in place on teh driver side.
Thanks!

Yes, I saw you switched to the Goodyear tires! I'm looking forward to testing them out at Road Atlanta in 8 days! I hope I have the same increase in grip you had!

As far as the Mishimoto goes: Bottom line is that the "extreme" street or "average" track driver would never stress the car enough to really need the brake duct. However, they would benefit from increased oil capacity and cooling. So it remains a valid cooler for "most" uses.

But, as you say, there are definitely some more race oriented options out there. USR is about 20 minutes from my house and I stop by there often for miscellaneous parts!

If necessary, I will just add some custom ducting to my brakes to help with cooling.

OP
OP
REDRAGN

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Car Update:

***To be clear there was nothing wrong with the RV6 parts!***

Removed the RV6 compliance bushings for 2 reasons.
1. They are not allowed in GTA Enthusiast class.
2. I was experiencing LOTS of noise to the point that I wondered if I had an issue.

You can see the scuffing on the lower control arm where they were getting lots of front-rear movement.

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! rJFK3MCSQ0vUVVDlD8vTKndK_g=w165-h220-no?authuser=0

I believe this issue was caused by the OEM front rubber bushing allowing this extreme movement. I would not recommend to install the RV6 without the spherical front bushing. I was unable to run a spherical bushing due to series/class rules.

If you decide to install the RV6 without a front bushing as well, be prepared for lots of noise at low speed braking and turning (similar to an axle going bad).

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! enTlV2moNTd1MTsG3UYEbEoVIA=w493-h657-no?authuser=0

So the solution that fits class rules is the Whiteline anti-lift kit. Initial thoughts, this install is way easier but obviously there will be a performance loss due to the nature of the bushing. Would this be noticeable to the average user? Probably not. I expect a large improvement in NVH and am interested to see if there is any caster change...I'll report back after my alignment next week.

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! 9mM957c9ih9moHRsn2U7nk6B1A=w876-h657-no?authuser=0

Make sure you install the CTR control arm bushing as the kit comes with CTR and Si bushings. And use all the grease provided!

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! sZpH3AgLVTpklYRxnMFPcRv7PQ=w493-h657-no?authuser=0

Note: the inside bolt is close to the EPS motor but does not appear that it will cause a contact issue...I'll keep an eye on it.

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! YwoJr5tigp1ws-BcF4HAlqkTgQ=w493-h657-no?authuser=0

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! K940K2mtrPfSH2JNu9qPP9XN-g=w493-h657-no?authuser=0

I mentioned it in an earlier post, but here is a photo of the ball joint tool...100% recommend.

Honda Civic 10th gen REDRAGN's Countdown to Super Lap Battle 2024!!! X8v2AVBW6IgTgEmbInIjYs9K5w=w493-h657-no?authuser=0

Sam3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR
Country flag
@REDRAGN I called RV6 early February and enquired about their front compliance mounts. I asked about the reported noises and creaking. He said the issue is the control arm is forged and there’s 1.5 mm tolerance from car to car, and it’s hard for them to design a hard bushing that fits all models. So they’re coming up with a new design that has a rubber lining that wraps around the arm and isolate the hard part of the bushing—that was my understanding from what he said. He said it’s in prototype stage now and being tested by a racing team. He said it would be out in a couple of months.

@RV6 do you have an update?
Sponsored