Red leather-wrapped shift knob on 2020 Type R ?

knavekid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R (Rallye Red), 2002 RSX-S (shell)
Country flag
EDIT: I solved my issue. See post below: Solution

Last Friday evening I picked up my new 2020 Civic Type R here in Florida. Saturday, I got in the car and almost burned my hand on the shift knob. I ordered the accessory leather-wrapped shift knob (08U92-TEA-110) and it came in today. I installed it and the OEM lock nut (54103-TGH-G00) has no flange which means the boot collar is too wide for the base of the new knob.

I looked up the 2019 lock nut (54103-TGH-A00) and found a photo showing its size. To fit my boot collar, the lock nut latch surface needs to be about 1/2 inch from the flange.
Honda Civic 10th gen Red leather-wrapped shift knob on 2020 Type R ? 2020_CTR_NUT (Small).JPG

The 2019 lock nut latch surface appears to be about 5/8 inch from the flange which would leave a 1/8 inch gap.
Honda Civic 10th gen Red leather-wrapped shift knob on 2020 Type R ? 2019_CTR_NUT (Small).JPG

What lock nut can I use that will work? Has anyone come up with a solution?

Right now it looks like this because I don't want to latch it until I have a solution. It was a real bear to release the collar from the nut!
Honda Civic 10th gen Red leather-wrapped shift knob on 2020 Type R ? 2020_BOOT_COLLAR (Small).JPG

Last edited:

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
You can switch to an aftermarket collar/but like Hybrid Racing. It's only $30.

JCTR

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type-R
Country flag
I just got my leather knob in today. Getting that collar to release is definitely a bear. What did you do to get it to release? Any tips?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
2019 shift boot assembly will work with the 2019 locking nut. If you want it Alcantera, you’ll have to send it to an upholsterer to do that work (Overland or SWEIDIT for example), but it won’t be cheap.

Alternatively, you can also get a different lock collar and nut from a third party, it’ll require you to remove the stock lock collar though from the shift boot.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As someone with the leather wrapped OEM accessory knob, just a forewarning - you can and will burn your hand when the car has been in hot sunlight. Done it plenty of times.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
As someone with the leather wrapped OEM accessory knob, just a forewarning - you can and will burn your hand when the car has been in hot sunlight. Done it plenty of times.
I never had that issue with this shift knob, though I rarely rest my hand on the top of the shift knob, it’s always on the sides, front, and rear of the knob. It depends on how you shift the car IMO.

OP
OP
knavekid

knavekid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just got my leather knob in today. Getting that collar to release is definitely a bear. What did you do to get it to release? Any tips?
I used the wide pry edge from a plastic interior tool kit. It was very difficult. I also tried squeezing either side to side or front to back (I don't remember which) to help that I read somewhere. So, squeeze, pry, and push down.

OP
OP
knavekid

knavekid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I will be avoiding the top metal portion, for sure, until it cools down!

JCTR

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type-R
Country flag
I used the wide pry edge from a plastic interior tool kit. It was very difficult. I also tried squeezing either side to side or front to back (I don't remember which) to help that I read somewhere. So, squeeze, pry, and push down.
Awesome thanks!

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I never had that issue with this shift knob, though I rarely rest my hand on the top of the shift knob, it’s always on the sides, front, and rear of the knob. It depends on how you shift the car IMO.
If you touch the top portion on a hot summer day - believe me, it hurts! It hasn't been an issue this year (mostly because I've been at home thanks to COVID) but last year I had some pretty painful experiences with that damn knob.

OP
OP
knavekid

knavekid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I came up with a workable solution to my problem. What I needed was a transition piece between the 20mm base of the knob and the 30mm boot collar. I found these solid stainless steel countersunk washers with the correct dimensions.

M10 Solid Countersunk Washers

While I would prefer the black, those require a 100 piece minimum purchase. I purchased some natural stainless steel washers which are readily available.

To make them black, I purchased some Caswell Stainless Steel Blackener and followed the process of acid etch, rinse, blacken, rinse, and then seal using oil. Before and after:
Honda Civic 10th gen Red leather-wrapped shift knob on 2020 Type R ? IMGq0423 (Small).JPG

I removed the knob and placed the washer over the lock nut before replacing the knob:
Honda Civic 10th gen Red leather-wrapped shift knob on 2020 Type R ? IMGq0415 (Small).JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Red leather-wrapped shift knob on 2020 Type R ? IMGq0416 (Small).JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Red leather-wrapped shift knob on 2020 Type R ? IMGq0417 (Small).JPG

Finally, I reseated the boot collar. Process complete!
Honda Civic 10th gen Red leather-wrapped shift knob on 2020 Type R ? IMGq0419 (Small).JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Red leather-wrapped shift knob on 2020 Type R ? IMGq0419 (Small).JPG

While I wish the washer had turned out more black, it appears much lighter in the photos than it appears to the eye. It looks good and doesn't stand out as being a DIY solution. There are ways of getting a darker black result by using steel wool between successive blackening steps, so I might try that when I have time. Painting is also an option.

If anyone else tries this, please post your results here.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
There is a big difference between the summer sun in Illinois and Florida (or AZ).

In Arizona interior car temperatures can easily exceed 180F. Surface temperatures can be much higher. Human skin can burn with with 1 second of contact at 160F. And much less time as the temperatures go up.

(Fun trivia, when I drove for UPS, some of the drivers used to hang meat thermometers in their trucks. I used to get burns on my arms from touching the metal shelves in the back lifting packages off the top shelf.)

Cat Damon

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, 2017 Civic Hatch LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just got my shift knob today and ran into this same issue, but I did find M10 countersunk washers that you can buy individually on eBay. Might be awful quality but I'm gonna give it a shot and post my results

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174252973239

OP
OP
knavekid

knavekid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just got my shift knob today and ran into this same issue, but I did find M10 countersunk washers that you can buy individually on eBay. Might be awful quality but I'm gonna give it a shot and post my results

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174252973239
Those are a great find! I'm looking forward to seeing how they work for you. Too bad they will take a month to get.

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I never had any issues with the Type R upgrade shifter I love it. Fit and finish are ? has never burned me but my car is garaged and I don’t have the baking of sun because I’m 15% tint and windshield banner.

Honda Civic 10th gen Red leather-wrapped shift knob on 2020 Type R ? 9AC9979D-8492-417D-8E24-0016CF6175FC
Sponsored