Recourse for infotainment issues?

anckentucky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T Crystal Black Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We'll see. I hope you are correct. Excluding infotainment, I absolutely agree. The '16 Civic, when ours gets here, will be our ninth Honda vs. two Fords. So far, I see fewer signs that Honda recognizes there are infotainment issues, cares to try to fix them, and is willing to provide a straightforward way to deliver those fixes to customers than I saw from Ford. Honda is still in school to learn the infotainment lessons Ford already learned. I hate to say it. But that's how I'm seeing it.
They already put out an update for the touring's infotainment issues and the more complaints roll in, I think we will see at least one or two updates over the next year. The update probably won't be anything earth shattering, but there are a lot of coding issues that should be corrected. It shouldn't be a hard fix for as big of a company as it is and it will resolve a lot of the issues people are facing. It's the first cycle of the new civic, so there were bound to be issues. I ordered my EX-T two weeks ago and it doesn't come in until next week so I haven't seen many of these issues up front. But I do expect to see a few.
Sponsored

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
They already put out an update for the touring's infotainment issues
They put out an update for the power amplifier unique to the Touring. For a high impact--no sound at all, pervasive--sooner or later likely to affect every Touring owner, problem that was leading many dealers to replacing the amplifier itself. Forcing Honda to eat hardware, which was fine save bad code, and the warranty labor to replace them. Fixing that was a much simpler issue since it's a completely embedded piece of hardware/software. Even then, they made getting it a headache that took many owners weeks while they waited for the dealers to find the special sticks they were sent via FedEx with the code. (No downloads of this, even for the dealers.)

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tell that to the millions of us that bought a Ford or Lincoln with MyFord/MyLincoln Touch over the five years they were building it into cars.
Deepest sympathies for having to go through that experiment. (Not being sarcastic)

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Deepest sympathies for having to go through that experiment. (Not being sarcastic)
Thanks. That was far from the only problem with our '12 Focus. But it was the most prevalent and least forgivable. And the one that had the most attempts to fix in the form of updates from Ford. Every one of them fixed, at best, only a few more issues than it created new ones. It was amazing how they could issue an update and have it break so many things that were working.

Brettjod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I've had 2 F150's and my wife has had 2 Escapes with the myfordtouch and we've had less problems and glitches with them than I have had with the infotainment system in my civic lol.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've had 2 F150's and my wife has had 2 Escapes with the myfordtouch and we've had less problems and glitches with them than I have had with the infotainment system in my civic lol.
Ouch. That hurts. I guess I'll find out when ours gets here. 4,700 miles from Alliston. Should only be three or four more weeks…

I don't know if Ford used different APIM hardware after the '12 Focus. Nor if any of the updates after fall of '14, when we dumped it, would have helped. But it was a terrible experience. Maybe it was because ours had Sirius, HD, and nav. As with Honda Display Audio, some users had way more problems with MFT than others. Different phones? Different usage patterns? Different expectations? I dunno.

krikaoli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I'm facing a similar Civic Touring Bluetooth problem:

When at phone calls it is always happening a bluetooth stuttering at my Civic Touring, I find out that if I transfer the call to the iPhone and then, back to the bluetooth it solves the sound quality problem.

The other matter regards playing WhatsApp voice messages, the doesn't come, but it appears at the screen as if it was being playing, I also found out a little solution, I play WhatsApp video , then I try to play the voice message, and it works perfectly, but as soon I leave the app and open it again, the problem comes back.

If anyone have experienced this problem or has any idea of solution I would be very grateful.

Last edited:

Brettjod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I had my whole unit replaced because of the issues I had with mine. Bluetooth not working properly, false brake problem messages and charging system problem messages and the flickering of the screen. A month after they replaced it I got a false brake problem message again. It's going in tomorrow to get looked at again.

OP
OP

bostondan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I had my whole unit replaced because of the issues I had with mine. Bluetooth not working properly, false brake problem messages and charging system problem messages and the flickering of the screen. A month after they replaced it I got a false brake problem message again. It's going in tomorrow to get looked at again.
I would stop wasting your time having it looked at unless it is a unique issue. Clearly it is a software bug for the majority of us. Unless they give you a unit with a software upgrade, replacing the unit will be a waste of your time, the dealer's time, and a huge waste of resources.

I do think it is useful to tell them about the problem, and potentially even have them take a look at the car, but only for documentation purposes.

Obviously if we all keep having our units replaced it might incentivize Honda to fix it faster, but it really is a waste of resources and a waste of your time. If you have lots of free time, then I appreciate your sacrifice and hopefully it gets them to fix the issue.

Brettjod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I only take my car in on days off if it happens. But any time I've taken it in was because it started again after being "fixed"

OP
OP

bostondan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I only take my car in on days off if it happens. But any time I've taken it in was because it started again after being "fixed"
Fair enough. My point is that this problem likely cannot be fixed until there is a software update, so you would be better off doing something fun with your day off.

fazekas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Here's a list of problems with my 2016 Touring Civic infotainment:

- "No Device Connected" a few minutes after starting car, connecting iPhone, playing CarPlay. Requires unplugging and re-plugging iPhone to resolve. Frequent and persistent.
- Alternating/flashing black screen sometimes, usually after one of the cameras has gone on and off from back up and right hand turn. All controls on touch screen are inoperative, requires turning off car, restarting car, and doing hard reboot of infotainment system to clear it out.
- Sometimes get a strange electronic sound/buzzing when playing CarPlay and one of the cameras has gone on, usually for right hand turn. Have to unplug iPhone to get rid of issue.

It's not iPhone or cables - on my second iPhone, both had same problems. Tried multiple Apple genuine lightning cables.

Oh, and there's the subwoofer rattle issue with the rear shelf, been in the shop twice for that, still no real fix, last I heard from dealer is there is a redesigned rear shelf that addresses the issue.

My first Honda, and quite possibly my last. Never had quality issues with my previous brand new VW and Toyota vehicles!

OP
OP

bostondan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
My first Honda, and quite possibly my last. Never had quality issues with my previous brand new VW and Toyota vehicles!
I completely agree. If future Honda tech does not improve, I will not be buying another. The car is otherwise nice enough. I plan to keep this car for a while though (assuming I don't get overly frustrated with tech issues), so perhaps Honda will improve by the time I need a new car.

pookscivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX, 2015 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
I wish I had my CD player and AUX-IN from my Element. I hate the infotainment system on the new Hondas. Buggy is too generous a word for how many problems this thing has. People get in my car and just laugh at all the issues this thing has. I don't blame them.

Brettjod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Fair enough. My point is that this problem likely cannot be fixed until there is a software update, so you would be better off doing something fun with your day off.
That is true but if they tried to fix it and then it starts freaking out again I want them to know about it otherwise they will just think it's fixed. That's why I take it back to get looked at
Sponsored