tomm9050

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Hatch
Country flag
What’s the best sound dampening product to reduce road noise in a 2018 Sport Hatch? Desert climate.

Thanks
Sponsored

GoodGuyJonb

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
I recently read all 69 pages of a thread in DIYMA about testing different CLD sound deadeners, and the cliffs notes version is that SDS (sound deadener showdown) and KnuKoncepts Kolossus were the top performers. SDS was a little more expensive, but from what I gathered the customer service and knowledgeable staff seems to make it the overall winner. As Schmiddr2 said, there is more than just CLD. I think for the most effective deadening, you'd want to use CLD, CCF (closed cell foam), and MLV (mass loaded vinyl). This combo will yield the greatest reduction of noise/vibrations. There are tons of threads about cheaper alternatives, and I have spent quite a bit of time researching them, because I am a budget shopper from way back. I have even tried some of them, and in my experience this is definitely one of those things that you get what you pay for. MLV seems to do a great job when combined with CLD and CCF, but really the only way to save a buck or two on MLV is to find a local source for it. The reason for this is that it is typically 1-2lbs sq ft, so for a 100 sq ft roll, you are looking at shipping a 100lb roll. Hope this helps, and best of luck!

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Just for a update SDS seemed to close there doors. So you may have to look elsewhere.
Sponsored