Recommended radiator temp? Time to change fluid?

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
When I first got my ktuner and honda hack setup, My coolant temperature always read at 173-176f regardless of speed or stationary. That was about 1.5 years of owning my car. Right now on year 4, my coolant temp reads 190+f when not moving and 178-185 when moving. This started happening during the winter. Idk if this was because I let my car run for 2 hrs at a time to charge my phone and switch during the winter texas storm. My coolant temps went well past 212f with my fans refusing to kick in at times.
Sponsored

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Fans, or 1 fan (primary), not running on low speed is a good choice.
Also make sure air path to radiator is clear of debris.

Last edited:

CVTKiller

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX-T CVT
Country flag
When I first got my ktuner and honda hack setup, My coolant temperature always read at 173-176f regardless of speed or stationary. That was about 1.5 years of owning my car. Right now on year 4, my coolant temp reads 190+f when not moving and 178-185 when moving. This started happening during the winter. Idk if this was because I let my car run for 2 hrs at a time to charge my phone and switch during the winter texas storm. My coolant temps went well past 212f with my fans refusing to kick in at times.
I just had the same problem today after taking a road trip about 600 miles. found my fan wasnt running after i saw my temps shoot up to 202 at idel. I shut off my car check the fan and it’s definitely not spinning. Burnt the shit out of my hand.
I was already home so I plan to take it to honda on monday. Good luck.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Might want to run car with AC on and see if one or both fans come on - if one only then primary fan is kaput; if both come on then the low speed relay circuitry is not working (could be loose connection or relay).

OP
OP
longthaitran91

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
Might want to run car with AC on and see if one or both fans come on - if one only then primary fan is kaput; if both come on then the low speed relay circuitry is not working (could be loose connection or relay).
They do come on with the ac running. I’ll check if one of the fans are having problems. I’m wondering if my increasing temps are due to the radiator fluid needing to get changed

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I don't think a coolant change will affect temperature. New coolant will just protect your radiator from rust and protect the water pump bearings and prevent it from freezing in winter.

Of course, make sure you have enough coolant, though.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Not likely, fluid is fluid, even water works the same until you exceed the boiling point under pressure.
Investigate why primary fan quit working at lower temperature..
Sponsored