Recommended product for "chrome" trim?

looopson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX-T
Hi All:

Any recommendations for cleaning the shiny "chrome" trim on the front of the car? I can't seem to get the water deposit spots off of it. I added the "chrome trim" to either side of the car which looks very nice sitting at the bottom of the doors but again, it's starting to show a lot of water spots that I can't get off.

Also, do microfiber towels scratch the clear-coat on the body paint? Thanks!

Honda Civic 10th gen Recommended product for "chrome" trim? 20160706_195357_resized
Sponsored

CivicLX2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
For Chrome - 303 Aerospace Protectant - http://www.autogeek.net/303aepr.html

I got a scratch on my LX...wasn't sure if it was the sponge or the microfiber.,..I'm now using a mitt for washing, and doing the blotting method for drying with microfiber.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Steel wool ought to do the trick to get those water spots out

Ketsto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic 1.5l
Country flag
Also, do microfiber towels scratch the clear-coat on the body paint? Thanks!
Not if you use them correctly, no. Firstly, never circles. Only straight lines.

Secondly, make sure they're free from debris that might have gotten imbedded. If it falls on the floor, DON'T reuse it without washing it and inspecting it first. And when washing, DON'T use fabric softener. There's a few write-ups about which detergents to use, I just use CG Microfiber Wash.

Thirdly, lubrication is key. Friction is bad, as that's what causes scratches. You ideally never want to touch your paint dry, as that'll cause friction which causes scratches. To dry the car, with QD spray fine. If you're 100% sure the car is clean, and the towel is clean (like when you're dry wiping after using QD to remove excess residue) then it's usually fine. Just don't press too hard.

Fourthly, materials and production country matter. 70/30 Polyester/Polyamide towels are considered to be the best blend and S. Korea is considered to be the best country that make them. Also, remove the tags. The tags are hard and will scratch the paint.

I personally use The Rag Company Eagle Edgeless towels. In 365 Terry cloth, 500 and 600 plush. Terry for utility, they typically never touch paint. Under hood, door sills, interior trim and leather. Plush touch the paint. 600 for finishing. 320 terry and 500 plush is more than enough.

For the chrome, try Meguiars m205 polish, light pressure. If that doesn't work try some light automotive metal/chrome polish, very little pressure. Protect with Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Spray.

E: I just realized this post is super old.... Oops.

Last edited:

samguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Not if you use them correctly, no. Firstly, never circles. Only straight lines.

Secondly, make sure they're free from debris that might have gotten imbedded. If it falls on the floor, DON'T reuse it without washing it and inspecting it first. And when washing, DON'T use fabric softener. There's a few write-ups about which detergents to use, I just use CG Microfiber Wash.

Thirdly, lubrication is key. Friction is bad, as that's what causes scratches. You ideally never want to touch your paint dry, as that'll cause friction which causes scratches. To dry the car, with QD spray fine. If you're 100% sure the car is clean, and the towel is clean (like when you're dry wiping after using QD to remove excess residue) then it's usually fine. Just don't press too hard.

Fourthly, materials and production country matter. 70/30 Polyester/Polyamide towels are considered to be the best blend and S. Korea is considered to be the best country that make them. Also, remove the tags. The tags are hard and will scratch the paint.

I personally use The Rag Company Eagle Edgeless towels. In 365 Terry cloth, 500 and 600 plush. Terry for utility, they typically never touch paint. Under hood, door sills, interior trim and leather. Plush touch the paint. 600 for finishing. 320 terry and 500 plush is more than enough.

For the chrome, try Meguiars m205 polish, light pressure. If that doesn't work try some light automotive metal/chrome polish, very little pressure. Protect with Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Spray.

E: I just realized this post is super old.... Oops.
Great stuff, thank you!
Sponsored