Recommended pads/rotors replacements

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
It's going to be that time once spring rolls around... 20,000 or so miles on the Type R and I can hear, feel, and see the pads are getting lower. While it's not urgent I would like to make a sound decision in the upcoming months. I've tracked a lot of different brands and compounds and I fear my biases will shine through.

I wanted to hear what others have went with for street / track use. This is by no means my track vehicle but I want to make sure the pads are capable of a weekend or two during their lifetime...

That I can see the GiroDisc (again super bias on this one) are the way to go for all four rotors but when it comes to pads I'm stuck. I'm normally carb0t3ch4lyfeY0! but how do the Hawk 5.0 compared to the stock pads? Mu's? Ferodo Racing?

I can't find much on actual reviews with brake pads on this vehicle just a couple recommendations pop up in the search but I'd like to hear some actual stories of how they compare to stock.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

apexit53

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 23 Integra aspec MT
Country flag
I didn't have experience with them on the type R, not sure if they make them for the type r but I used the Hawk street/race pad in my camaro. Did awesome on the street and held up very well at my track day at road america.

OP
OP
bobafettm

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I didn't have experience with them on the type R, not sure if they make them for the type r but I used the Hawk street/race pad in my camaro. Did awesome on the street and held up very well at my track day at road america.
Thanks Apexit! That's exactly my issue... I can't find much info relating to this particular chassis. I've also used a variety of pads on previous vehicles but they are often 1900 pounds or 3300 pounds with or without ABS... That's quite a difference compared to the Type R (fwd) and how it performs it's own traction control and brake bias.

I'd like to hear of some recommendations but there just isn't much out there.

JTPitsch

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' M2, 18' CW CTR, 20' Civic Si
Country flag
I think the stock pads are pretty decent and cheap enough for doing the street driving and occasional track day. Someone mentioned somewhere else on the forum that the stock ones are equivalent to the DS2500 from Ferodo which I agree with having the DS2500s on my other car.

rnh204

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR #8445 | 2010 Porsche 911 GT3RS (Track Car) | 2014 Infiniti QX80 (Family Tow Car) | 2013 Trailex CT-84180 (Trailer)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've tried stock, DS2500, project Mu club racers, and Cobalt XR2 pads for the front of the car. The DS2500 is very much like stock. PMU Club racers don't bite as hard as the stock / ferodo. Cobalt is more of a dedicated track pad and i only have 2 sessions on them but so far so good.

For street and useable on track the DS2500 so far are the best I've come across.

OP
OP
bobafettm

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've tried stock, DS2500, project Mu club racers, and Cobalt XR2 pads for the front of the car. The DS2500 is very much like stock. PMU Club racers don't bite as hard as the stock / ferodo. Cobalt is more of a dedicated track pad and i only have 2 sessions on them but so far so good.

For street and useable on track the DS2500 so far are the best I've come across.
This is great information! I know I can run the DS2500 worse case... Did you feel that the DS2500 offered any advantage over stock? My debate though is running Carbotech 1521. I love carbotech but I've heard of no one running the 1521 on the Type R.

rnh204

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR #8445 | 2010 Porsche 911 GT3RS (Track Car) | 2014 Infiniti QX80 (Family Tow Car) | 2013 Trailex CT-84180 (Trailer)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is great information! I know I can run the DS2500 worse case... Did you feel that the DS2500 offered any advantage over stock? My debate though is running Carbotech 1521. I love carbotech but I've heard of no one running the 1521 on the Type R.
If I recall correctly, they were cheaper than OEM front pads by a good amount. Winmax pads look to be pretty affordable too.

KeepItLow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Stock pads are great for street and light trackdays, if you want a bit more I'd be looking at Endless MX72 or ME20. Having used them in the past I'd be going endless if I need brake pads, they are higher temp rated and also less brake dusts..

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag

How long did your PMU CR Pads last you? I thought they bite harder than stock. Could be just me

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
How long did your PMU CR Pads last you? I thought they bite harder than stock. Could be just me
Their feel might come down to did you maybe bleed your fluid when you installed them and he was on older fluid?

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Their feel might come down to did you maybe bleed your fluid when you installed them and he was on older fluid?
I was on fresh RBF660. Also had brand new girodisc rotors. PMU CR all around

rnh204

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I only had the front PMU CR pads and rear I had oem. They lasted 3 days at Watkins Glen. I had fresh endless RBF fluid. I was driving in the instructor group with PCA club. One good thing about the PMU pads, they did not warp/leave deposits my rotors.

The OEM pads did that on the last session on the first track day.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I only had the front PMU CR pads and rear I had oem. They lasted 3 days at Watkins Glen. I had fresh endless RBF fluid. I was driving in the instructor group with PCA club. One good thing about the PMU pads, they did not warp/leave deposits my rotors.

The OEM pads did that on the last session on the first track day.
Ahh ok. I ran through a set of PMU CR Pads in 3 days and just wanted to confirm if this is how long they typically last

OP
OP
bobafettm

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I upgraded to SP Performance Brakes a few months back and I am super happy with my choice. I don't track at all so I decided to go with the Drilled and Slotted with the Silver Zinc Plating https://www.sp-performance.com/category-s/18750.htm
Fronts and rears? I’ve read so many posts saying StopTech etc doesn’t actually make rotors for us... but if these fit that’s a solid choice. Not drilled but slotted directional

Ignore these are 5x114.5 won’t work.
Sponsored

Last edited: