vroomvroomj

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic LX Made in Canada
Country flag
I've tried doing my research here and other places on any recommendations on brands for brake rotors/ discs and pads but was unable to come to a conclusion.

I have a 2018 Honda Civic with a little over 55k miles on it. This will be the first brake replacement performed on this. I don't go on tracks or anything like that. It's mostly just used for commuting to work/school and traveling. I've thought about either playing it safe by getting the products straight from the dealership or getting it at a local Oreilly's or Autozone, whichever is more cost efficient. However, I am willing to spend a little more on good quality parts, I just don't know where to look which is why I am thinking of just settling for dealership parts.

Usually on my commutes, I drive at the speed limit because my commutes are a bit long and I try to be smart with money and avoid being at the gas station as much as I can. That was just an FYI so you know what kind of a driver I am with this civic. Lol.

Thanks.
Sponsored

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
Oem or ebc(if you have the cash) ideally. Donā€™t get store brand rotors. store brand pads are fine is for platinum wearever pads(advance auto) or autozone/orielys equivalent. Gold is a maybe. I donā€™t recommend anything lower because of safety and store brand rotors warp easily from high use. The cheapest brake pads overheat extremely quick just from moderate braking a couple times. At least you donā€™t have an si or type r. Us folks canā€™t go cheap even if we want to.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
+1 for OEM (pads anyway). Aftermarket pads on Hondas can be noisy, in my experience.

Fit2Hatch

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Most OEM pads, Honda is no exception, are metallic, aside from excessive dusting, and very aggressive in terms of causing damage by gouging rotor surface along with excessive wear.

On the other hand, EBC and the like offers better alternatives. Especially in terms of way better stopping power, depending on compound, less dust and infinitely more gentle to rotor finish.

On my '18 HB, when it had less than 3K miles, I kept OEM rotors, but selected the EBC Yellow Stuff. Dust is less then OEM, but stopping is day and night, especially initial bite and noiseless since new. Presently, over 30K and all four rotors exhibit a mirror polish like finish from the pads.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I always liked Brembo blanks if I need to replace my rotors. EBC for pads.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
My small town mechanic put Akebono parts on my 2018 and my wife 2016
They work like original ones.

Fit2Hatch

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
When I substituted EBC F/R pads on the '18 HB, OEM pads removed were marked Akebono.

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Centric suck. Had them on for about 10k and replaced with EBC.

EBC rotors + pads
+1 on Hawk
Sponsored