First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My last car had a jack point in front of the front suspension that was, relative to this Civic, a joy to work with. On my Civic, I had been using two jacks: One to lift a bit like I was changing a tire only to gain enough clearance to slide a second jack under from the front to lift the entire car. I never liked the approach, and now one of my jacks has died. Can anyone recommend a low profile jack with enough reach and pumping power to just slide it in from the front, and lift this car? 19-21" max height with over pressure release and not gravity-fast drops when releasing the jack are very much preferred attributes! I've no need for a racing jack that will lift the car all the way in 3 pumps- this is for maintenance and various other garage stuffs. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Phylanx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 CRV, '17 Si Sedan
Country flag
I drive on a pair of 2x4's that I had cut from Home Depot. This let me keep and use my existing jack which isn't exactly low profile.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I also have the harbor freight one. And yes, driving up two 2x4s allows you to get in to the center jack point. Can't reach it without driving it up the 2x4s.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
I bought one of these a couple of months ago:

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-daytona-professional-steel-floor-jack-super-duty-63183.html

It’s expensive for a Harbor Freight jack but seems to be nicely built and should last a long time. No issues getting it under a lowered Civic, but lift’s a 4Runner plenty high as well. Lots of control when lowering. Definitely not a lightweight jack.

With a floor jack, you must use these jacks stands too;
I use two of them with the Honda jack in the trunk

Honda Civic 10th gen Recommendations on a good floor jack? Capture d’écran 2018-06-29 à 05.22.15

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With a floor jack, you must use these jacks stands too;
I use two of them with the Honda jack in the trunk

Capture d’écran 2018-06-29 à 05.22.15.png
Absolutely. I've managed to collect 5 jack stands so far, 2 from Harbor Freight.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
I got this one as well, found a coupon for 87 bucks I think. I'm not sure if it will drop fast if you just turn the handle a full revolution when it comes time to lower the car or anything but that's why I just crack it open to reach the drop-speed I want. It lifts quickly and is pretty low profile. I originally bought the smaller aluminum one you can get for 60 bucks and if I didn't have my truck I'd have probably kept it. Can't get under to the center point though without a little lift first.

OP
OP
IronFusion

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So... It sounds like everyone is throwing out some solid candidates, but no one has a jack that can lift a factory suspension coupe without an assist?

Anyone have one of those raceday-looking jacks with an ultra low body that is 18" or longer (I've seen 30" on amzn) ?
That's the kind I was going to get. But it they can't lift off the ground without help either, I'm going to save my money and just get another Red.

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
I use a stubby bottle jack behind the front wheels, then use my floor jack to get it the rest of the way up.

If you want a quality jack that can slip under and do this in one shot you're looking at a lot of cash. At least that's what I've found.

Using the bottle jack just takes an extra minute or so.

OP
OP
IronFusion

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I use a stubby bottle jack behind the front wheels, then use my floor jack to get it the rest of the way up.

If you want a quality jack that can slip under and do this in one shot you're looking at a lot of cash. At least that's what I've found.

Using the bottle jack just takes an extra minute or so.
Your pt about cost is well received. If I had a nice finished garage surface and a higher ceiling I would ideally save up for a lift. Kind of lame that the car is so seriously unfriendly to get off the ground.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
what do you mean "unfriendly to get off the ground"? it was just as easy for me as every other car I've had with stock suspension, and is now just as much of a pain in the ass as any other lowered car I have had... (well less because my last car was SLAMMED, but speaking relative its the same...)

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
what do you mean "unfriendly to get off the ground"? it was just as easy for me as every other car I've had with stock suspension, and is now just as much of a pain in the ass as any other lowered car I have had... (well less because my last car was SLAMMED, but speaking relative its the same...)
Let me explain what the issue is so you're not confused as to why people have trouble jacking the car.

The jack point is at the back of the subframe which makes jacks that typical DIY's have unable to raise the car due to limited travel of the jack handle.

This car needs a higher-end jack to raise the car in one-shot. The purpose of the thread was to determine which jacks are known to work and recommended.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
+1. That's the same jack I use + jack stands when working on the Civic X. No clearance issues. Wait for the 20% to 25% off coupon (check website before checking out; they take online coupons from the phone).
Sponsored