Recommendations for tires?

Bhartz412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX
Country flag
Hey guys, I finally got a Ktuner for my Civic and wanted to upgrade tires for better traction. I currently have the cheapest tires possible probably (Riken Raptor HR $80/tire) and am wondering what kind of tires I should go with. FL has a lot of rain, but its also super hot so I need the best for both worlds. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

skottharrison

First Name
Skott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan, 2021 Subaru Crosstrek
Country flag
Any budget in mind? Also besides traction, what other characteristics are you looking for?
Being in Florida like yourself, I would value wet traction, treadwear and quietness.
Super performing tires in the summer are great, but a hazard if you can't drive it in the rain...

OP
OP

Bhartz412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX
Country flag
Any budget in mind? Also besides traction, what other characteristics are you looking for?
Being in Florida like yourself, I would value wet traction, treadwear and quietness.
Super performing tires in the summer are great, but a hazard if you can't drive it in the rain...
In terms of budget, I've been so accustomed to cheap tires having 16's so id like to stay under $130/piece if possible, but those are exactly right. Definitely wet traction, and don't want to be replacing every 10k and don't want to ride like crap either

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just like the drag racing theme of "when it comes to race car parts, there are 3 options: cheap, light and fast. You can have any 2 of the 3."

Tires are the same way. You can have traction, comfort and cheap. Pick 2.

Traction with Comfort = NOT cheap
Traction with Cheap = Frequent replacement
Cheap with Comfort = Not much Traction

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
If you want traction and on a budget then Firestone Indy 500’s are your friend.
  • Amazing traction for the price
  • They look great, been on them for over 15k miles now (I am lowered so I rotate tires every oil change to prevent the chamber from getting to them)
  • It doesn’t rain too often here in Ca but the times it has these tires never once made me worry for my life. Traction in wet road conditions are not an issue
  • Comfort I can’t say because I’m not on stock suspension. I’m on lowering springs and I have zero complaint of discomfort, but everyone’s taste of comfort is different
  • They are a little noisy, but nothing bad either, they are summer tires after all. You want traction then tires are noisier because they’re planted to the road better

OP
OP

Bhartz412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX
Country flag
If you want traction and on a budget then Firestone Indy 500’s are your friend.
  • Amazing traction for the price
  • They look great, been on them for over 15k miles now (I am lowered so I rotate tires every oil change to prevent the chamber from getting to them)
  • It doesn’t rain too often here in Ca but the times it has these tires never once made me worry for my life. Traction in wet road conditions are not an issue
  • Comfort I can’t say because I’m not on stock suspension. I’m on lowering springs and I have zero complaint of discomfort, but everyone’s taste of comfort is different
  • They are a little noisy, but nothing bad either, they are summer tires after all. You want traction then tires are noisier because they’re planted to the road better
Honestly I'm not sure what noisy really sounds like, I've only ever used the one set of tires basically and never really noticed, so maybe they are and I'm used to it? Or maybe I wouldn't mind, I think I want traction first and foremost for performance and reliability

OP
OP

Bhartz412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX
Country flag
Just like the drag racing theme of "when it comes to race car parts, there are 3 options: cheap, light and fast. You can have any 2 of the 3."

Tires are the same way. You can have traction, comfort and cheap. Pick 2.

Traction with Comfort = NOT cheap
Traction with Cheap = Frequent replacement
Cheap with Comfort = Not much Traction
Great analogy and I'm finding that to be true, you really can't find the best of all worlds. Maybe I'll do cheap and traction and eat the noise and replacement

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Great analogy and I'm finding that to be true, you really can't find the best of all worlds. Maybe I'll do cheap and traction and eat the noise and replacement
Just to provoke some thought....

Why spend $100 on a cheap tire you have to replace twice as often as a market leading tire that costs $200?

The cost to you in the end is the same......

OP
OP

Bhartz412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX
Country flag
Just to provoke some thought....

Why spend $100 on a cheap tire you have to replace twice as often as a market leading tire that costs $200?

The cost to you in the end is the same......
I don't think that's really the case or I would. My Rikens have been on for 25,000 plus and are still doing fine for $80/tire, something tells me a $160 tire isn't gonna last 50,000+ miles, although I'm sure they'll perform better overall with the same miles

diablo2424

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I'm looking at tires for our Civic now, and have decided I'm going to go with the General GMAX AS-05's, they're more affordable than Conti DWS06, Hankook Ventus s1 noble2, Pirelli PZero all season and Goodyear All Seasons... but have just as good of reviews, if not better, than those options! Tirerack has them at $138 each with road hazard included
Sponsored