Enigmom

First Name
Enigma
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda si 2018
Country flag
thinking about the PRL intercooler and pipping, possible even getting an PRL intake to keep everything in house. anyone with any good experience with PRL on their 10th gen 2018 si keeping everything PRL or mixing it up? live in florida and possibly getting the intercooler will be my first mod.

Thanks and hope this isnt going to annoy anyone because im sure there is a similar thread with a different brand?
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Big fan of PRL. I have used their Cobra intake and intercooler kits on both of the CivicX vehicles I owned. Highly recommended!

Old F@rt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, 2016 Z51 Stingray, 2006 Tundra
Country flag
Pretty much any intercooler (even the $200 ebay knock-offs)are going to be a huge improvement over the factory unit. PRL products are quality & I went with their Cobra race intake & love it, but have different brand intercooler & charge pipes. So there is no problem with mixing & matching different parts as you go.
Just as a side note, if you decide to go with the true cold air intake (Cobra) you'll have people tell you it's risky due to Florida weather. Just be sensible when you drive in wet weather & you won't have any issues. I live about 80 miles north of you & probably one of the few people who has cut open the front fake grill to allow even more cool air in. I can have my intake temp sit about 3 degs above ambient when pushing the car along. If I get into a downpour, I back right off & just take it easy. HTH

OP
OP
Enigmom

Enigmom

First Name
Enigma
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda si 2018
Country flag
Pretty much any intercooler (even the $200 ebay knock-offs)are going to be a huge improvement over the factory unit. PRL products are quality & I went with their Cobra race intake & love it, but have different brand intercooler & charge pipes. So there is no problem with mixing & matching different parts as you go.
Just as a side note, if you decide to go with the true cold air intake (Cobra) you'll have people tell you it's risky due to Florida weather. Just be sensible when you drive in wet weather & you won't have any issues. I live about 80 miles north of you & probably one of the few people who has cut open the front fake grill to allow even more cool air in. I can have my intake temp sit about 3 degs above ambient when pushing the car along. If I get into a downpour, I back right off & just take it easy. HTH

That was alot of gems in one post. thanks man. thats is scary now thinking of it. no one want to have water being sucked into their car... man and i just recently taught my wife how to drive manual transmission. ... will have to advise if i do go that route to be cautious when it rains.. i wonder if i tune the car and have it set to factory settings during a down pour would make any difference ?

letsgoMINAJE

First Name
Minaje
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
Interesting, you mind if i ask how?
The more throttle you give, the more induction of air there will be. If you live in an area with bad drainage and rains often, then you are at risk. However, if you're smart, you can either A. find a way to avoid these water hazards or B. drive through them very lightly...yes, you may suck up minimal water...but not enough to damage your car. If you are an idiot and you go full throttle through this same water, you will suck up more water and then damage your car. You can install a cold air intake and not tune, the fact will remain that it strictly the responsibility of the driver to be responsible/careful enough.

Also, if you have a bigger turbo, it will probably spool harder and take longer to do so. So there will be stronger suction, but again...for it to get to that point and you're driving through water, it's strictly the driver's responsibility and really careless.

If you have a Short Ram intake or still stock and you hydrolock your car...then it's simply the driver's own fault.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong in my explanation or if they want to clear some things up.

Also NOTE: the filters on most aftermarket intake filters handle moisture pretty well...but as with anything porous, there's a limit. Simply driving through heavy rain shouldn't put you at risk.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Enigmom

Enigmom

First Name
Enigma
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda si 2018
Country flag
The more throttle you give, the more induction of air there will be. If you live in an area with bad drainage and rains often, then you are at risk. However, if you're smart, you can either A. find a way to avoid these water hazards or B. drive through them very lightly...yes, you may suck up minimal water...but not enough to damage your car. If you are an idiot and you go full throttle through this same water, you will suck up more water and then damage your car. You can install a cold air intake and not tune, the fact will remain that it strictly the responsibility of the driver to be responsible/careful enough.

Also, if you have a bigger turbo, it will probably spool harder and take longer to do so. So there will be stronger suction, but again...for it to get to that point and you're driving through water, it's strictly the driver's responsibility and really careless.

If you have a Short Ram intake or still stock and you hydrolock your car...then it's simply the driver's own fault.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong in my explanation or if they want to clear some things up.

Also NOTE: the filters on most aftermarket intake filters handle moisture pretty well...but as with anything porous, there's a limit. Simply driving through heavy rain shouldn't put you at risk.
I really do appreciate you taking the time to provide a detail explanation. truly. So since you brought up short ram intake; does a short ram take in less air than a traditional intake "longer:?

luigi2120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
A good option for the intake if you don't want to risk hydrolocking your engine is the 27WON CAI. It is a hybrid design of a short ram plus a CAI. You wont get as much power as compared to a PRL but it does give a peace of mind. I am not aware of anyone that has hydrolocked their cars with a PRL CAI.

I decided to go the 27WON route and my intake should be here next week :)

On the talk of Intercoolers. If you want a cheaper option you could get one from Burger Motor Sports. It is bigger than the ebay Rev9 intercooler for only a bit more. I personally don't think the charge piping is necessary unless you are planning on going bigger turbo. I could be wrong though

Last edited:

letsgoMINAJE

First Name
Minaje
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
I really do appreciate you taking the time to provide a detail explanation. truly. So since you brought up short ram intake; does a short ram take in less air than a traditional intake "longer:?
Essentially, they take in the same amount of air.

Cold Air = cooler air temps, great sounds.
Short Ram = Higher air temps, better sounds (some might say this is debatable)

The PRL Cobra is a traditional cold air intake where the filter is down in the bay and pulls air from the fender I believe.
Honda Civic 10th gen Recommendation on intercooler and pipping for 2018 Si sedan StreetMAFFrontFullNOLogo.1

The 27won is a hybrid design. It's a short ram intake, that enclosed in a shell that pulls air from the fender.
Honda Civic 10th gen Recommendation on intercooler and pipping for 2018 Si sedan honda_performance_parts_2on4-bn

Honda Civic 10th gen Recommendation on intercooler and pipping for 2018 Si sedan Civic-CAI-Assembled-1

OP
OP
Enigmom

Enigmom

First Name
Enigma
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda si 2018
Country flag
A good option for the intake if you don't want to risk hydrolocking your engine is the 27WON CAI. It is a hybrid design of a short ram plus a CAI. You wont get as much power as compared to a PRL but it does give a peace of mind. I am not aware of anyone that has hydrolocked their cars with a PRL CAI.

I decided to go the 27WON route and my intake should be here next week :)

On the talk of Intercoolers. If you want a cheaper option you could get one from Burger Motor Sports. It is bigger than the ebay Rev9 intercooler for only a bit more. I personally don't think the charge piping is necessary unless you are planning on going bigger turbo. I could be wrong though
please post photos once you get it and have it installed. and now thinking of it, short ram it would be higher on the engine bay protecting or preventing such issue .. but now that is something to think about. thank you all for enlightening me and giving me another perspective now.

voodoo50

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
thinking about the PRL intercooler and pipping, possible even getting an PRL intake to keep everything in house. anyone with any good experience with PRL on their 10th gen 2018 si keeping everything PRL or mixing it up? live in florida and possibly getting the intercooler will be my first mod.

Thanks and hope this isnt going to annoy anyone because im sure there is a similar thread with a different brand?
Burgertuning.com has intercoolers for as low as 299.00, DepoRacing.us has cold air intakes as low as 199.00 and privatelabelmfg.com has intercooler and piping kits for as low as 449.00.
Shop around… you can save a lot of money and still get quality products. Good luck!

OP
OP
Enigmom

Enigmom

First Name
Enigma
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda si 2018
Country flag
Burgertuning.com has intercoolers for as low as 299.00, DepoRacing.us has cold air intakes as low as 199.00 and privatelabelmfg.com has intercooler and piping kits for as low as 449.00.
Shop around… you can save a lot of money and still get quality products. Good luck!
Thanks man much appreciated. questions for you my friend. The intercoolers sold are they authentic or fake and cheaply made?

SouthSideBeef

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR86
Country flag
Thanks man much appreciated. questions for you my friend. The intercoolers sold are they authentic or fake and cheaply made?
They're cheap products. Either go with PRL or save your money. If you're not racing or doing repeated full throttle pulls then you don't need an intercooler anyway.