17civicsi

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2001 Ford Mustang
Country flag
I purchased my Honda Civic Si Coupe in 2017 at the end of September. It was brand new when I got it with only 3km on it. I live in Canada so we get pretty harsh winters here. I noticed the 1st winter owning the vehicle (2017) I had issues with the capless fuel system, it was always freezing and was getting ice in it. It had a lot of ice build up to the point where the gas nozzle would not even enter the system when topping gas up. I would have to stick my finger into the gas tank to melt the ice that was between the plastic fuel door flap and the metal flap on the inside of the cars fuel door. This was a HUGE pain for me. You can see the picture below of the ice chunk pulled out. There's a $1 Canadian coin to compare how large the ice chunk was.
Honda Civic 10th gen **RECALL FIX - Capless Fuel System** Ice chunk with $1 comparison

There was multiple times I had to dig ice out of the fuel cap over the 2.5 years of ownership. Fast forward to present day (2019/2020), I was still having issues with ice, water and snow getting passed the cars fuel door. I have attached some pictures below to show one with water sitting inside and snow sitting inside passed the cars fuel door . In the one picture with the snow I did a temporary fix by placing two plastic baggies over one another held on with elastics - it worked and I didn't have issues with ice and freezing. (hard to tell with all the snow). I did not want to do this for every winter. It was just ridiculous.

Honda Civic 10th gen **RECALL FIX - Capless Fuel System** Gas tank full of water
Honda Civic 10th gen **RECALL FIX - Capless Fuel System** Snow in gas tank

I reached out to Honda Canada about a recall or if other people were having this issue on December 22nd, 2019. They told me there was a recall/bulletin and to bring it into my local Honda to get this fixed.

I just got the recall completed and you can see the picture with the new parts they installed. An extra piece on the fuel door to cover the system. They installed a whole new cap as well.

Is anyone else having this issue? Hope this helps anyone who is having this issue!

Honda Civic 10th gen **RECALL FIX - Capless Fuel System** Full gas tank - fixed
Honda Civic 10th gen **RECALL FIX - Capless Fuel System** Close up gas tank - fixed

TLDR: Had issues with my capless fuel system on my 2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe for a while. I reached out to Honda and they came out with a recall/bulletin and I just got it done under warranty.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
My wife"s 2016 Civic don't have this parts, car sleep always inside so no issues with ice.
My 2018 Civic have this part, car sleep outside.

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a coupe as well but never experienced snow under the fuel lid like that. That said I'd like to get that fix for mine too...just to be safe.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Weird but interesting.

Never had this issue yet and we get a lot more snow here than Toronto (At least on average). Car stays in the garage at night but is out in the open 5 days a week at work.

carlos969

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Is this for all trim levels? I have a 2016 Touring and sometimes run into the same issue. I am getting rust forming in the interior of the fuel lid that runs at the bottom, would assume it would be from the same thing, from water just pooling on the lip of the quarter panel and plastic fuel filler.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
Is this for all trim levels? I have a 2016 Touring and sometimes run into the same issue. I am getting rust forming in the interior of the fuel lid that runs at the bottom, would assume it would be from the same thing, from water just pooling on the lip of the quarter panel and plastic fuel filler.
That’s interesting. I have a 2016 Touring sedan that lives outside 24/7, and I’ve never seen this issue. My fuel filler door doesn’t look like it fits 100%, either...

carlos969

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I purchased my Honda Civic Si Coupe in 2017 at the end of September. It was brand new when I got it with only 3km on it. I live in Canada so we get pretty harsh winters here. I noticed the 1st winter owning the vehicle (2017) I had issues with the capless fuel system, it was always freezing and was getting ice in it. It had a lot of ice build up to the point where the gas nozzle would not even enter the system when topping gas up. I would have to stick my finger into the gas tank to melt the ice that was between the plastic fuel door flap and the metal flap on the inside of the cars fuel door. This was a HUGE pain for me. You can see the picture below of the ice chunk pulled out. There's a $1 Canadian coin to compare how large the ice chunk was.
Ice chunk with $1 comparison.jpg

There was multiple times I had to dig ice out of the fuel cap over the 2.5 years of ownership. Fast forward to present day (2019/2020), I was still having issues with ice, water and snow getting passed the cars fuel door. I have attached some pictures below to show one with water sitting inside and snow sitting inside passed the cars fuel door . In the one picture with the snow I did a temporary fix by placing two plastic baggies over one another held on with elastics - it worked and I didn't have issues with ice and freezing. (hard to tell with all the snow). I did not want to do this for every winter. It was just ridiculous.

Gas tank full of water.jpg
Snow in gas tank.jpg

I reached out to Honda Canada about a recall or if other people were having this issue on December 22nd, 2019. They told me there was a recall/bulletin and to bring it into my local Honda to get this fixed.

I just got the recall completed and you can see the picture with the new parts they installed. An extra piece on the fuel door to cover the system. They installed a whole new cap as well.

Is anyone else having this issue? Hope this helps anyone who is having this issue!

Full gas tank - fixed.jpg
Close up gas tank - fixed.jpg

TLDR: Had issues with my capless fuel system on my 2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe for a while. I reached out to Honda and they came out with a recall/bulletin and I just got it done under warranty.
So all you did was call Honda Canada and enquire about this? I checked their website with my vin number and there is no recall for the gas cap. Mine is a 2016 Touring and it does this sometimes.

carlos969

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Is it me, or does anyone else have issues when filling up? I do a normal fill and when it reaches the top, the pump stops and a bunch of gas comes spewing out of the gas hole, almost like the neck isn't long enough.

carlos969

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Here is a pic of the rust forming in the interior fuel lid. And no, I dont have warranty anymore, it's a 2016 with 130,000kms logged on it now. I could take it to the dealership, but it will be a waste of time. This car has been a lemon since I got it. The infotainment system has been replaced 6 times, I got a bad window seal on my rear window that the dealership has attempted to fix on numerous times and cant figure it out.

Honda Civic 10th gen **RECALL FIX - Capless Fuel System** 20200515_161702

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Is it me, or does anyone else have issues when filling up? I do a normal fill and when it reaches the top, the pump stops and a bunch of gas comes spewing out of the gas hole, almost like the neck isn't long enough.
Are you waiting the prescribed 5 seconds before taking the nozzle out of the filler hole? You can't just rip out like an old school car or you will have issues. This is not a defect but a characteristic of these capless filler systems. You also have to make sure you have it down the hole fully, no sloppy inserts.

I am about to hit 50,000 Km on my Civic and have never had this issue even once as I follow the 5 second rule. One of my friends has a 2017 LX sedan and has never had issues like this either. I know for sure he has more KMs than me too.

carlos969

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Are you waiting the prescribed 5 seconds before taking the nozzle out of the filler hole? You can't just rip out like an old school car or you will have issues. This is not a defect but a characteristic of these capless filler systems. You also have to make sure you have it down the hole fully, no sloppy inserts.

I am about to hit 50,000 Km on my Civic and have never had this issue even once as I follow the 5 second rule. One of my friends has a 2017 LX sedan and has never had issues like this either. I know for sure he has more KMs than me too.

droidkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Anyone notice a rattling coming from their fuel door when in gear and stopped after doing this service bulletin? it was a good month of trying to find out where the rattling was coming from because every time I would hear it I would go to open the door but that would unlock the fuel door and stop the rattling.

Can't decide if its the locking mechanism or the actual cover on the fuel door

Mightyming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic ex
Country flag
what is the part number for the cover. I tried to order one from honda but they say the part number 17666-TBA-A01 is invalid.
Sponsored