**RECALL FIX - Capless Fuel System** Si Coupe Issue Only?

MrJustin81

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I have a 2019 Si my gas cap has been frozen shut on more than one occasion.

jack.

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I purchased my Honda Civic Si Coupe in 2017 at the end of September. It was brand new when I got it with only 3km on it. I live in Canada so we get pretty harsh winters here. I noticed the 1st winter owning the vehicle (2017) I had issues with the capless fuel system, it was always freezing and was getting ice in it. It had a lot of ice build up to the point where the gas nozzle would not even enter the system when topping gas up. I would have to stick my finger into the gas tank to melt the ice that was between the plastic fuel door flap and the metal flap on the inside of the cars fuel door. This was a HUGE pain for me. You can see the picture below of the ice chunk pulled out. There's a $1 Canadian coin to compare how large the ice chunk was.
ice-chunk-with-1-comparison-jpg.jpg

There was multiple times I had to dig ice out of the fuel cap over the 2.5 years of ownership. Fast forward to present day (2019/2020), I was still having issues with ice, water and snow getting passed the cars fuel door. I have attached some pictures below to show one with water sitting inside and snow sitting inside passed the cars fuel door . In the one picture with the snow I did a temporary fix by placing two plastic baggies over one another held on with elastics - it worked and I didn't have issues with ice and freezing. (hard to tell with all the snow). I did not want to do this for every winter. It was just ridiculous.

gas-tank-full-of-water-jpg.jpg
snow-in-gas-tank-jpg.jpg

I reached out to Honda Canada about a recall or if other people were having this issue on December 22nd, 2019. They told me there was a recall/bulletin and to bring it into my local Honda to get this fixed.

I just got the recall completed and you can see the picture with the new parts they installed. An extra piece on the fuel door to cover the system. They installed a whole new cap as well.

Is anyone else having this issue? Hope this helps anyone who is having this issue!

full-gas-tank-fixed-jpg.jpg
close-up-gas-tank-fixed-jpg.jpg

TLDR: Had issues with my capless fuel system on my 2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe for a while. I reached out to Honda and they came out with a recall/bulletin and I just got it done under warranty.
I live in Chicago and honestly I can’t remember if I had a problem with snow and ice inside there, but I would have times where ice would build up on top of the fuel cap door and it would be impossible to open.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Every time it gets below 20 degrees F, the fuel door lock actuator freezes and I have to pry the door open with my fingers.

It looks pretty sketchy when I have to pry my fuel door open on a fairly new car when I’m at the pump.
Sponsored