Dominus

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring (Black)
Country flag
I bought my car on 12/26. Got a call a couple days later from the service guys saying there was a recall. I took it in, it took about an hour and a half. Funny thing, they changed the oil and filter. Neither myself or the service advisor could think of a good reason why. I wasn't complaining, I'll take a free oil change.

Just giving you guys the heads up, you might want to call your dealer.
Sponsored

utparatrooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
I bought my car on 12/26. Got a call a couple days later from the service guys saying there was a recall. I took it in, it took about an hour and a half. Funny thing, they changed the oil and filter. Neither myself or the service advisor could think of a good reason why. I wasn't complaining, I'll take a free oil change.

Interesting. Do you know if this was related to the oil dilution remedy? Didn't think this had filtered to the warmer states yet.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
I think the goal is for the engine to warm up faster. To help alleviate rising oil levels. After all the attention the CRV got and China, they're just going ahead and doing Civics too, as a precaution it seems. Mine was updated today too.

Honda Civic 10th gen Recall 18-137 Software update with A/C Control Unit IMG_7983 (1)

OP
OP

Dominus

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring (Black)
Country flag
I think the goal is for the engine to warm up faster. To help alleviate rising oil levels. After all the attention the CRV got and China, they're just going ahead and doing Civics too, as a precaution it seems. Mine was updated today too.

IMG_7983 (1).jpg
Yep, that's exactly what my receipt said. If it's for the oil consumption/dilation issue, I wonder why they're acting like it's some A/C control update? I guess to not scare people?

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Yep, that's exactly what my receipt said. If it's for the oil consumption/dilation issue, I wonder why they're acting like it's some A/C control update? I guess to not scare people?
Because the AC module spins the aux fan too much not letting the radiator get to a high enough temperature

Fit2Hatch

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Hatchback Sport
Country flag

There goes your factory filled "break-in oil".

WhiteCastleKid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Do not let them do the idle relearn, you dont need it. Your 1.5t turbo is to small and can overheat or blow a bearing. I have a family member that races, and he said going to 3k rpm’s for over 5 minutes is crazy with this engine. It is only for a conveience they do it. Your car can learn the idle with just some milage and a few start ups. I had my recall done, and they did not do the idle relearn, and it is just fine with 30 miles on it since the update. No sense in doing this to a new car. My car is not even broke in, why chance it.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Do not let them do the idle relearn, you dont need it. Your 1.5t turbo is to small and can overheat or blow a bearing. I have a family member that races, and he said going to 3k rpm’s for over 5 minutes is crazy with this engine. It is only for a conveience they do it. Your car can learn the idle with just some milage and a few start ups. I had my recall done, and they did not do the idle relearn, and it is just fine with 30 miles on it since the update. No sense in doing this to a new car. My car is not even broke in, why chance it.
Raises some basic questions:

(1) Is the Honda Civic always relearning the Idle, or does it need to be put in a re-learn mode ?

(2) What is likely to happen if I tell the Dealer NOT to do the re-learn.?

(3) What is involved in doing the re-learn, if it's a IDLE re-learn, why does the Turbo have to run at excessive speeds ?

WhiteCastleKid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Raises some basic questions:

(1) Is the Honda Civic always relearning the Idle, or does it need to be put in a re-learn mode ?

(2) What is likely to happen if I tell the Dealer NOT to do the re-learn.?

(3) What is involved in doing the re-learn, if it's a IDLE re-learn, why does the Turbo have to run at excessive speeds ?
You are suppose to have a idle relearn after a TCM or and PCM update is done, along with a throttle reset. These are done by computer. But the idle relearn will have you running the engine while in park to 3K rpm until the fan kicks in (turbo gets real hot) and then let it idle for 5 minutes on it own. The ECU has the base idle already programmed, but factors like out temp can change these. Let’s just say, your car is alway learning about temp, you and how you drive. Just ask not to have it done, and I am sure a good mechanic will ablige.

Spacesloth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Running the car for 5 minutes at 3k rpm is not going to hurt anything, it’s not under any load, everything is being cooled with coolant and lubricated with oil. The turbo is not creating any boost. If this was an issue with any manufacture, engines would be blowing up left and right. Additionally, you do realize an SI sits at 2500-3000 rpm at freeway speeds, older NA engines spun higher yet and have gone hundreds of thousands of miles problem free. Please don’t spread misinformation.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Running the car for 5 minutes at 3k rpm is not going to hurt anything, it’s not under any load, everything is being cooled with coolant and lubricated with oil. The turbo is not creating any boost. If this was an issue with any manufacture, engines would be blowing up left and right. Additionally, you do realize an SI sits at 2500-3000 rpm at freeway speeds, older NA engines spun higher yet and have gone hundreds of thousands of miles problem free. Please don’t spread misinformation.
Not wanting to take sides here, but I would tend to agree with you.
If the engine cannot run at 3000rpm in Neutral (Thinking Si), then it is going to be bad news very soon under normal driving.

jgreen16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX Hatch, 1990 Chevrolet C1500
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Running the car for 5 minutes at 3k rpm is not going to hurt anything, it’s not under any load, everything is being cooled with coolant and lubricated with oil.
And for the impatient, go ahead and do 6K rpm for two and a half minutes. Off and up on out in half the time. :rofl:
Sponsored