plresultsman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R - New to me on 3/13/2023
Country flag
Since I have your folks attention, a bit off topic: 1. What are the watch outs for buying a CTR (unique to the model) and 2. Are there any years that are better or worse for the model? Thanks!
Sponsored

gxl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R PMM
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2019 is my ideal one just because of the volume knob and no nannies. Guess I wouldn't mind the lane keep assist for roadtrips but w/e.
2020+ has all the safeties with it. And also the 2-piece rotors which means they are lighter.
Check front bumper for grille and bumper coming apart (tabs there are weak).
Check engine bay for obvious mods.
Test drive for sure, I've dented a stock wheel before.
Sometimes a rattle at A-pillar, center dash speaker.

For the most part, just the usual stuff to make sure you are going to enjoy the car. Take it on the highway and at least go past 4k, there's a slight change that lets you know you're in vtec.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
2020-21. Has useful improvements.

“new lower-friction ball joints and updated bushings for the front suspension, revised rear bushings that are stiffer laterally, and retuned adaptive dampers that now sample the road 10 times quicker. The front brakes are fitted with more fade-resistant pads and new two-piece floating rotors that are no longer cross drilled that cut unsprung weight by 2.5 pounds per side.” -car and driver.
also
Larger grille for a larger radiator.
honda sensing package.

OP
OP
plresultsman

plresultsman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
2019 is my ideal one just because of the volume knob and no nannies. Guess I wouldn't mind the lane keep assist for roadtrips but w/e.
2020+ has all the safeties with it. And also the 2-piece rotors which means they are lighter.
Check front bumper for grille and bumper coming apart (tabs there are weak).
Check engine bay for obvious mods.
Test drive for sure, I've dented a stock wheel before.
Sometimes a rattle at A-pillar, center dash speaker.

For the most part, just the usual stuff to make sure you are going to enjoy the car. Take it on the highway and at least go past 4k, there's a slight change that lets you know you're in vtec.
Hi: Please, are you saying:
- the stock wheels are easy to knock out of round via pot holes?
- re the front/rear bumper tabs are weak - just replace with the same OEM parts or is there an aftermarket part that is better?

Thanks! S

OP
OP
plresultsman

plresultsman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm on the opposite end. 2020+. After using Honda's implementation of adaptive cruise + 6 speed manual I can't go back. You can turn off the nannies if you desire too.
Good to know! Thank you!

OP
OP
plresultsman

plresultsman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
2020-21. Has useful improvements.

“new lower-friction ball joints and updated bushings for the front suspension, revised rear bushings that are stiffer laterally, and retuned adaptive dampers that now sample the road 10 times quicker. The front brakes are fitted with more fade-resistant pads and new two-piece floating rotors that are no longer cross drilled that cut unsprung weight by 2.5 pounds per side.” -car and driver.
also
Larger grille for a larger radiator.
honda sensing package.
Those sound like excellent improvements.

gxl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R PMM
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP
plresultsman

plresultsman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm going to look over and my test ever test drive a somewhat beat 2018 today, to get my first impression of a CTR. 29k miles. Cigarette burned seat on pass seat, aftermarket wheels rashed/peeling. I suspect it was winter driven. On the plus side it has coil overs and an aftermarket exhaust. They are asking too much at $38.6k - and it has been at dealer for over three months. Was a local trade. Generally, I like my cars with lower miles and in pristine shape. Just missed out on on another one 6 hours away that fit that spec. Here is the one I will test drive: https://www.internationalhonda.com/used-inventory/index.htm?search=type r

Last edited:

gxl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R PMM
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I drive mine through everything including snow and some light gravel. Sounds like they did not give a shit about the car. Wheels, steering wheel should be easy enough to replace. Sourcing a seat would suck. Maybe a seat cover. I wouldn't do it for 38. Mine was a garage queen at 38 that came with the front PPF.

Good luck on the search.

OP
OP
plresultsman

plresultsman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I drive mine through everything including snow and some light gravel. Sounds like they did not give a shit about the car. Wheels, steering wheel should be easy enough to replace. Sourcing a seat would suck. Maybe a seat cover. I wouldn't do it for 38. Mine was a garage queen at 38 that came with the front PPF.

Good luck on the search.
Completely agree. This trip is just to check our driving one. The other two nice ones near me are ~one hour (wrong color) and two hours away ('21 for $45k w 4k miles. It won't last I'm sure).

Reactions: gxl

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Since I have your folks attention, a bit off topic: 1. What are the watch outs for buying a CTR (unique to the model) and 2. Are there any years that are better or worse for the model? Thanks!
Check if the AC works.

2020+ has all the nanny stuff (lane keep assist/ collision mitigation braking system. ) But also have Honda LogR.

As for the wing, I think it's the size it is because it doesn't block your rearview vision.

OP
OP
plresultsman

plresultsman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
‘18 CTR - My impressions from first ever drive: Brilliant handling. All the power is up high between 5k-7k RPMs. Turbo lag is small. Recaro-like racing seats much better than Mustang Recaros. Firm but not hard. The rear wing isn’t a problem from driving position. Ready for HPDE/ track days with no mods. Lots of room w fold down rear seats. Almost small SUV-like space. Negatives: the busy video game dash & buttons required to navigate controls. Prior owner had installed a ridiculous aftermarket exhaust. Overall: I liked it a lot. Handling feels better than a 2010s-ish Cayman I've driven and just as pleasing as 2018 GTS Cayman, and CTR feels more substantial than a Cayman ie safer - to me. Will continue to wait for a copy with low miles & mod free, or a new CTR. p.s. Undercarriage wasn't terrible but definitely winter driven. Dealer is out of his mind thinking this car will sell with that exhaust. Literally can't speak to one another upon acceleration or spirited highway speeds. And he didn't know car as well as he thought (even tho he is an ex-mechanic): Him: "It has coil-overs." Me: "Uh, no dude look at those bolts, paint marks and paper tags from Honda, that suspension is stock AF."

OP
OP
plresultsman

plresultsman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Glad you like the car. :thumbsup:

For reference, here's what the CTR looks like with the Sport Line wing. I actually like the GT wing, but ended up pursuing a Sport Line model for other reasons.

sportline_wing.jpg
That's much more reasonable looking for daily driving.