MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I suppose I could get used to it, but is just screams-look-at-me-Imma-boy-racer. I can't be the first guy potentially buying one who struggles with this. I have a Mustang and there are zillions of options when it comes to aftermarket anything.
You're not the first one to comment on the appearance. If you go back and read the reviews from the auto magazines and even a lot of the online reviewers, appearance was pretty much the biggest detractor. Some folks have a definitive dislike for the wing and the angularity of the lines. It's never bothered me, nor have I cared what other thought. Strangely enough, even my neighbors don't seem to notice it's styling.
- the stock wheels are easy to knock out of round via pot holes?
Yep, they have a 30% sidewall that doesn't provide much cushioning. But lots of folks have already switched out to R18 wheels. Better ride, less edge rolling on the track, and better selection of tires.
Sponsored

OP
OP
plresultsman

plresultsman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R - New to me on 3/13/2023
Country flag
I drove a very nice blue '21 CTR with only 4k miles yesterday. Perfect in every way save for a half inch scratch on the rear bumper. Thankfully it had the stock exhaust on it. What a great pleasure. Firm and precise handling. A bit notchy on the stick but that's probably me. Sticky tires even on a cold wet day. I liked everything but the blue. I do wish the dash were more analog-y. The big trend to touch screen is bad for driver attention. I am sold on the car for the fun factor - and the ability to HPDE/track it. I had resist laughing at the dealer. With all their b******t add ons, the price was $51.9k to get it out the door - vs. what? $45k sticker on the new '23? I was polite though. This dealer is selling the one or two new ones they get a year at MSRP - with none of the trash added on. They asked me if I would take it for $500 off their written offer price. I said no, but at $5k off the sheet that I'd give it a thought. And I left on good terms with them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
plresultsman

plresultsman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
'21 happened yesterday. Bought and drove it home from Minneapolis to Milwaukee. What a f#3king blast this car is. Good god is it dreamy driving fun! 12,300 miles on the clock. Zoomies for ever and 29 mpgs while zapping the go pedal pretty good.

Honda Civic 10th gen Rear Wing - Street Use vs. Track Day ease of removal and replacement Honda Civic Type R pic1

Honda Civic 10th gen Rear Wing - Street Use vs. Track Day ease of removal and replacement Honda Civic Type R pic2

Honda Civic 10th gen Rear Wing - Street Use vs. Track Day ease of removal and replacement Honda Civic Type R pic3

Last edited:

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
congrats on the purchase, I was going to buy one in the minneapolis area too, but it happened right after the George Floyd incident, and the day I was driving up to test drive/buy, they had to close the dealer down due to protesting, so instead, I drove to Iowa and got mine instead.

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si coupe, 2021 SGP Type R
Yeah, it's a blast.Congrats and welcome home =)

I see it has a few upgrades already!

metacircular

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Newbie question: Can the Civic Type R stock wing be easily removed for daily street use, and put back on for track use? Is/are there suppliers of different wings that are not so, for lack of a better word, obnoxious. Loves me a sporty sports car, that that thing is over the top. Thank you for your help!
Congrats on the Type R! The rear wing is relatively easy to remove because all the bolts are accessible by loosening the half of the trim nearest the hatch hinge (see this wiper delete video). Leave the other half of the trim near the tail lights intact, as this prevents breaking the rubber bumpers that cost $25 each. You can reference aftermarket wing install videos for the stock wing removal process, just don't remove all the trim.

To cover up the wing mounting holes, I used a strip of Xpel PPF (from Amazon) that I painted with touch-up paint on the adhesive side. You can match the hole locations by putting the PPF strip on the hatch (backing side facing up), trace the holes on the PPF backing, cut the holes out of the backing using a box-cutter/Exacto blade, and paint over the holes. Wait for the paint to dry and then apply the PPF strip to the hatch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
plresultsman

plresultsman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You can remove the wing quite easily without fully disassembling the hatch trim. You want to avoid removing the rubber bumpers. Just pull the trim from the hinge side. You

Congrats on the Type R! The rear wing is relatively easy to remove because all the bolts are accessible by loosening the half of the trim nearest the hatch hinge (see this wiper delete video). Leave the other half of the trim near the tail lights intact, as this prevents breaking the rubber bumpers that cost $25 each. You can reference aftermarket wing install videos for the stock wing removal process, just don't remove all the trim.

To cover up the wing mounting holes, I used a strip of Xpel PPF (from Amazon) that I painted with touch-up paint on the adhesive side. You can match the hole locations by putting the PPF strip on the hatch (backing side facing up), trace the holes on the PPF backing, cut the holes out of the backing using a box-cutter/Exacto blade, and paint over the holes. Wait for the paint to dry and then apply the PPF strip to the hatch.
Thank you! In an ideal world I was thinking of taking wing on (for track) and off (for days not at track). Since you appear to be the only one who has done this on thread: How much time for each trip on and off, and have you tracked the car without the wing? Thanks! (p.s The wing is growing on me - only in that people who ask/stop to look at it invariably are attracted to it. It's still a bit much for me as I am more of a 'sleeper' fan in terms of car design/less is more type.)
Sponsored

Last edited: