plresultsman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R - New to me on 3/13/2023
Country flag
Newbie question: Can the Civic Type R stock wing be easily removed for daily street use, and put back on for track use? Is/are there suppliers of different wings that are not so, for lack of a better word, obnoxious. Loves me a sporty sports car, that that thing is over the top. Thank you for your help!
Sponsored

acag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' CTR (CW)
Country flag
Stock R spoiler all day, I feel like the aftermarket ones are even more obnoxious for daily use. Now if you have a track focused CTR then getting an aftermarket spoiler makes more sense. If you want to endeavor into some light modding you can always get the GT wing from the UK CTR.

EDIT: can't spell

OP
OP
plresultsman

plresultsman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You are hereby banned from all Type R forums for your insolence
That's funny but not helpful. Even Honda toned down the car for the new model year.

OP
OP
plresultsman

plresultsman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Stock R spoiler all day, I feel like the aftermarket ones are even more obnoxious for daily use. Now if you have a track focused CTR then getting an aftermarket spoiler makes more sense. If you want to endeavor into some light modding you can always get the GT wing from the UK CTR.

EDIT: can't spell
So the UK is more attractive/less ridiculous?

ryyanjayy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
never taken the wing off but I know that you have to take the plastics that surround the hatch off and then unbolt it. Then if you want the full interior again put it back together but then you'll have holes in your hatch so Idk if that time / effort is worth it imo.

Honda Civic 10th gen Rear Wing - Street Use vs. Track Day ease of removal and replacement 1676608369370

Learn2turn:)

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW FK8, 2005 S2000, 1995 Miata
Country flag
IF YOU GET ONE, you will soon adjust to it!
It looks "normal" after you own it for little while.
You soon notice other cars have much more standout wings than ours.

gxl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R PMM
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
IDK man. Regular civic hatches look off to me now 😂

You'd have to plug the holes and every time you attach or remove, you would have to take off trim pieces. I don't think there are any "less over the top" wings. Even the UK sportline looks like it would not cover the holes.

You'd be better off with another car if the wing really puts it off for you.

OP
OP
plresultsman

plresultsman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I suppose I could get used to it, but is just screams-look-at-me-Imma-boy-racer. I can't be the first guy potentially buying one who struggles with this. I have a Mustang and there are zillions of options when it comes to aftermarket anything.

OP
OP
plresultsman

plresultsman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
IF YOU GET ONE, you will soon adjust to it!
It looks "normal" after you own it for little while.
You soon notice other cars have much more standout wings than ours.
Which cars have wings that are more 'standout'-y than the CTR? The Porsche Cayman GTS 4 comes to mind, but that thing is just about a pure track beast.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
If read of member reporting slightly less high speed stability without the wing, when it was unbolted during tint installs and such.

If you have a common colour the easiest route might just be swapping the entire hatch with another non-R hatch

OP
OP
plresultsman

plresultsman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If read of member reporting slightly less high speed stability without the wing, when it was unbolted during tint installs and such.

If you have a common colour the easiest route might just be swapping the entire hatch with another non-R hatch
Thank you TC - that's a great idea. Sounds like the notion of pulling off for street and on for track days is a pain. Prolly better just to get used to wearing it all the time and having it painted black or something to make it disappear a bit. I appreciate the help! With all the aftermarket support seems like a no-brainer offering for one of the firms.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
Thank you TC - that's a great idea. Sounds like the notion of pulling off for street and on for track days is a pain. Prolly better just to get used to wearing it all the time and having it painted black or something to make it disappear a bit. I appreciate the help! With all the aftermarket support seems like a no-brainer offering for one of the firms.
You didnt buy one yet from what i gather. Perhaps buy the new one. Be happy with what you buy and don’t compromise. The fk8 is an uncommon car for uncommon car people.

OP
OP
plresultsman

plresultsman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You didnt buy one yet from what i gather. Perhaps buy the new one. Be happy with what you buy and don’t compromise. The fk8 is an uncommon car for uncommon car people.
I've got a line on a
I've got a line on a couple of used ones w/ 20k & 30k miles at fair prices. I'm not in a hurry. I need to drive one to make sure I like.
Sponsored