First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI sedan / 2018 Accord Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The solution is to not subject the car to bitter cold. Mechanical things shrink in severe cold temperatures, so there is more space between them. That space allows movement, which causes the noises being heard. If the source could be found and tightened/adjusted, it would then be too tight and cause binding issues (or worse) once the temperature warms up. Unfortunately, those who are experiencing these noises will likely just have to live with them.
Always going to be lower tolerances in cold weather, especially with rubber/plastic parts. I'm just curious though, I had a similar issue, thought it was suspension related. Turned out to be the damn seat belt receptacle banging against interior plastic.
Sponsored

Zdiver

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan

Its the louder thunking sound, not the child seat rattle :)
I have the exact same sound in mine, although since I bought it almost two weeks ago its been cold everyday and has always made the sound. It's at the dealer now getting checked out for it as well as a passenger side dash rattle.

10gCiViC

British Columbia Guru
First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si / 1972 Gran Torino 351CJ-4V
Sedan Si here.

squareback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Si sedan, plus a bunch of Hondas and a GMC tow vehicle
Country flag
Sedan here too. If it's suspension related, it shouldn't matter which body style it is.

turbo340

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Hi guys, just found this thread as i have been posting on another one for the past 2 days here:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/2017-civic-si-knocking-from-rear-over-bumps.20010/

I just went to the dealer and the technician thinks it is the rear struts and POSSIBLY the oil control valve internally is to blame for the noise due to the temperatures.

SI rear struts are on NATIONAL BACKORDER so it appears a lot of other people are already having them replaced or there is a new revised part possibly on the way (fingers crossed). 4 week wait right now.

It is just super frustrating to buy a brand new car and have a clunking noise in cold weather that sounds like (any american car over 15 years old in the rust belt).

10gCiViC

British Columbia Guru
First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si / 1972 Gran Torino 351CJ-4V
^ THANK YOU !!!

turbo340

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
@fastSI thanks a million! I just called my service rep and he does not see anything in the system in the USA. He has no access to the Canadian service bulletins.
So he will try to contact American Honda to find out more information. Until then he cannot file a warranty claim for parts and repair until there is a USA specific bulletin.

UPDATE: Going to have the "damper mounting base" replaced under standard 5yr/60k warranty next Wednesday. I will post an update next week and let you guys know how it works.

Last edited:

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
How did you get him to agree to replace the damper mounting base if there was no USA bulletin, just curious for any information.

@fastSI thanks a million! I just called my service rep and he does not see anything in the system in the USA. He has no access to the Canadian service bulletins.
So he will try to contact American Honda to find out more information. Until then he cannot file a warranty claim for parts and repair until there is a USA specific bulletin.

UPDATE: Going to have the "damper mounting base" replaced under standard 5yr/60k warranty next Wednesday. I will post an update next week and let you guys know how it works.

Old guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
Well I guess I need to go and complain about it. It only happens to me when below zero and it goes away as the suspension warms up from the up/down movement.

IamFalling

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Did they find a US bulletin?

I also have the same noise in cold weather and over bumps

Did you have to bring it in to verify noise? Or did they order you parts?

Do those part numbers apply to mine? I live in the US, Connecticut

I called and set up an appointment and made sure the parts department ordered those parts.

Last edited:

bobdlux

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Yeah, my car has this pretty bad. Doesn't go away with time or warm up either.

Zdiver

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Well the dealership still has my car for this as well as a dash rattle and will have it until at least tomorrow as they havn't even been able to fix the dash rattle, Saturday will be three days. I sent them the bulletin but they said they couldn't do anything with it of course but do have a call into the tech line whom have asked them to check some things.
Sponsored