Rear Seat Removal 10th generation

Lisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the rear seats in the Honda Civic 2016 Sedan? If so, is their a trick? My boyfriend thinks it's not do-able. Thanks!
Sponsored

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag
I mean, anything can be removed if you try hard enough. It was all put in there wasn't it? They aren't *easily* removable I'm sure, and it's not a feature of the car to be removable, but I bet it is possible to remove them if you're trying to do some work either to the upholstery or put in sound deadening material under them.

OP
OP

Lisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
I mean, anything can be removed if you try hard enough. It was all put in there wasn't it? They aren't *easily* removable I'm sure, and it's not a feature of the car to be removable, but I bet it is possible to remove them if you're trying to do some work either to the upholstery or put in sound deadening material under them.
Yah, that's exactly it. We used to have a Fit and they were easily removable. We've finally decided to just remove the backs of the rear seats. That was easy to do. We're going to do a road trip and want to sleep in the car. We worked on it today and it'll work with only the backs removed. Thanks for your response.

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag
You're going to sleep in the back with the seat backs removed?

I would love a picture of that setup, sounds super interesting, if not a bit claustrophobic lol

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the rear seats in the Honda Civic 2016 Sedan? If so, is their a trick? My boyfriend thinks it's not do-able. Thanks!
Lol it's 2 10mm bolts and the seat comes off the brackets. I took mine out when I put extra sound deadening in.

OP
OP

Lisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
You're going to sleep in the back with the seat backs removed?

I would love a picture of that setup, sounds super interesting, if not a bit claustrophobic lol
The reason we're doing it is because we love to camp, plan on possibly doing a trip this winter to Utah. But I hear there are mountain lions down there and I'd be too nervous to sleep in our tent. We're from eastern Canada and know how bears act, but not wild cats. Last year we'd planned to do the trip with our Honda Fit, we did an experimental weekend and it worked like a charm. It was beyond cozy. My boyfriend designed this table that served as a shelf in the back window when we were in the car and a picnic table, with a leg that came down, when we were outside of the car. When we were in the car we could sit up, leaning on the backs of the front seats and watch TV on our mini-laptop. It was amazing! Then we decided to sell the Fit, sniff. The Civic won't be quite as easy, not being a hatchback, but at least it's bigger so that helps for extra storage. We haven't finalized the Civic yet, plan to do another experimental trip this long weekend of October so if I can remember I'll send some photos. We're finally just going to take off the backs of the rear seats.

Honda Civic 10th gen Rear Seat Removal 10th generation P1000033.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Rear Seat Removal 10th generation P1000044.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Rear Seat Removal 10th generation P1000061.JPG

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag
That is amazing! Like I said, super interested in seeing the setup in the civic. Sounds like a blast!

DarkTimber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 Civic Hatch MT
Very nice setup, especially the wine. :D

The reason we're doing it is because we love to camp, plan on possibly doing a trip this winter to Utah. But I hear there are mountain lions down there and I'd be too nervous to sleep in our tent. We're from eastern Canada and know how bears act, but not wild cats.
Sorry, off-topic a bit...
I camp and backpack in CO mtns May-September. Sometimes, I even hike in the dark. Do NOT worry about mtn lions. Mtn Lions are afraid of people. Only the young ones...2 yrs old tend to lack a little wisdom. Lions will stay stay away from you. Bears are more of an issue if you leave food & coolers out. Also, do not run (jog) at dawn and dusk which makes you look like running deer. deer=lions.

We have mtn lions here in the CO Front Range. Even with millions of people living here, Lion sightings are few and far between..

This may gross people out, but it works...Mark your territory. Honestly, I pee around my tent. I keep a clean campsite and I have never had any issue with lions or bears. Squirrels on the other hand are a PIA. Squirrels have chewed through my rainfly's webbing, nylon and guylines. Sometimes people at Denver Airport have rabbits chew through their car's lines. Don't worry about the big animals. Worry about those little resourceful runts.

The only critter in Utah and SW that makes me wary of tent camping...rattlesnakes. Rattlesnakes like to cozy up to warm stuff, like your sleeping bag and tent. In Winter, they won't likely be seen.

Sorry for going off topic.

Have a great trip!

SPMcGraw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Classic, 2020 Civic Touring
Country flag
I just took mine out to install seat covers. You have to take the smaller part out first. There's one 12mm bolt on the left and two on the right. Once that's out you can remove the larger part. It's a 13mm if I remember correctly on the left and one 12mm on the right. All of these are hidden behind the cloth that's secured by velcro at the corner of each piece. The centre bracket is welded to the body so you can't remove it but the ones on each end can come off.

If for some reason you need to take the bench out it's one 11mm bolt on the back and there are two clips on the front. You'll need to reach under and give them a pull to release them.

gwaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac vibe
Yah, that's exactly it. We used to have a Fit and they were easily removable. We've finally decided to just remove the backs of the rear seats. That was easy to do. We're going to do a road trip and want to sleep in the car. We worked on it today and it'll work with only the backs removed. Thanks for your response.
The Fit , a perfect car for usable space!

Reactions: Myx

adagrad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L w/ Sensing
I just took mine out to install seat covers. You have to take the smaller part out first. There's one 12mm bolt on the left and two on the right. Once that's out you can remove the larger part. It's a 13mm if I remember correctly on the left and one 12mm on the right. All of these are hidden behind the cloth that's secured by velcro at the corner of each piece. The centre bracket is welded to the body so you can't remove it but the ones on each end can come off.

If for some reason you need to take the bench out it's one 11mm bolt on the back and there are two clips on the front. You'll need to reach under and give them a pull to release them.
I'm looking at seat covers for my dog. Which one did you choose and how do you like them?

SPMcGraw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Classic, 2020 Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm looking at seat covers for my dog. Which one did you choose and how do you like them?
I got the covers from shearcomfort.com. I've got them in the car and the pathfinder for the kids and the dog. I got the cordura material. It's waterproof and dog proof. They work great.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I may be considering removing the rear seats but not for camping. This sounds easy enough to do. Pics would be better but will take what I can get. Thanks for the info.

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Rear Seat Removal 10th generation seat latch.JPG

this is the latch pinch and pull the white area. once the bolt in the rear is removed ( drivers side) seat comes right out. you can feel their location with your fingers.
now for what you really want to know? seat bottom weighs 9.5lbs.
Sponsored

Reactions: Myx