Rear drivers side door/hatch not unlocking, rest of the doors lock/unlock normally

oberstja

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey all,

I have owned my 2017 Honda Civic sport hatch for a little over 2 years now. 77k miles so far. I've done routine maintenance and have only experienced 1 mildly annoying issue, last summer my AC was blowing hot air and I had to get my system recharged with a dye pack included this time. Haven't encountered much else since that was done.

Recently I have started noticing a new issue however. I know that both of my key fobs work just fine, no battery issues. When I lock my car, all doors lock like they are supposed to. When I press unlock, the drivers side/passenger front doors and passenger rear door unlock just fine. The drivers side rear door and hatch remain locked however, like the signal isn't going through or something. If I open my drivers front door and reach my arm around to manually unlock the rear door, then I can open that door and the hatch with no problem. Here's something weird too. If I left that door/the hatch unlocked and start the car, and begin to drive like normal, I can hear the car try to autolock the doors everytime I take off from a stop. Even when I know the rest of the doors have already locked, I can hear the car trying to autolock like it normally would.

If I manually lock the rear door from the inside, then that door and the hatch become locked again. Locking/unlocking from the key fob won't unlock them, only manually unlocking from the inside seems to work.

Just posting this to see if anyone might have some insight they could possibly share. I work for a Honda dealership, but already know they're going to charge me the same diag fees like they do to the rest of the customers who encounter problems as well.

Thanks for reading
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Hey all,

I have owned my 2017 Honda Civic sport hatch for a little over 2 years now. 77k miles so far. I've done routine maintenance and have only experienced 1 mildly annoying issue, last summer my AC was blowing hot air and I had to get my system recharged with a dye pack included this time. Haven't encountered much else since that was done.

Recently I have started noticing a new issue however. I know that both of my key fobs work just fine, no battery issues. When I lock my car, all doors lock like they are supposed to. When I press unlock, the drivers side/passenger front doors and passenger rear door unlock just fine. The drivers side rear door and hatch remain locked however, like the signal isn't going through or something. If I open my drivers front door and reach my arm around to manually unlock the rear door, then I can open that door and the hatch with no problem. Here's something weird too. If I left that door/the hatch unlocked and start the car, and begin to drive like normal, I can hear the car try to autolock the doors everytime I take off from a stop. Even when I know the rest of the doors have already locked, I can hear the car trying to autolock like it normally would.

If I manually lock the rear door from the inside, then that door and the hatch become locked again. Locking/unlocking from the key fob won't unlock them, only manually unlocking from the inside seems to work.

Just posting this to see if anyone might have some insight they could possibly share. I work for a Honda dealership, but already know they're going to charge me the same diag fees like they do to the rest of the customers who encounter problems as well.

Thanks for reading
Sounds like an electrical issue, like a wire between those two doors and the body control module is broken.

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
I had the same issue with the same door last summer. It resolved itself and not come back. Maybe when the weather is warmer it may happen again.
Sponsored