Rear clunking endlinks

alao01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-L
Country flag
I just replaced the nuts on the rear swaybar endlinks but in the beginning I didn't know I had to use an allen wrench to stop it from spinning, so I just used a wrench by hand on one end and it rotated a little but obviously it went back in reverse. I did this a few times.
After tightening it the correct way, it seemed fine and no noise was apparent driving on bad roads like before. Although now when making right turns onto an inclined driveway, it makes a loud clunking sound almost like something was overtighened.
For reference, my sway bar does seem off center on the right a inch or so, but the sound seems to be coming from the same endlink I worked on. Is it possible I could've messed the endlink up and does it need to be a certain orientation? I did just order a new endlink just in case and it'll arrive tomorrow.
Sponsored

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Is this an aftermarket away bar? I think with ones like the whiteline without locator rings people were having clunking issues due to it shifting to one side.

I think the solution is to buy the whiteline locator rings or fashion your own rings/collars.

I bought a progress bar specifically because it already had locator rings on it.

OP
OP
alao01

alao01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-L
Country flag
Is this an aftermarket away bar? I think with ones like the whiteline without locator rings people were having clunking issues due to it shifting to one side.

I think the solution is to buy the whiteline locator rings or fashion your own rings/collars.

I bought a progress bar specifically because it already had locator rings on it.
Yes whiteline sway bar and accord endlinks.

Where can I find the locator rings?

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Yes whiteline sway bar and accord endlinks
I'm fairly confident that either you still haven't tightened the end links enough on the control arm or sway bar ends or you need the locator rings.

OP
OP
alao01

alao01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-L
Country flag
I'm fairly confident that either you still haven't tightened the end links enough on the control arm or sway bar ends or you need the locator rings.
I tightened it by hand and it wouldn't budge more nor could I shake it around. The only time it makes noise is when I make a right turn onto an inclined driveway and not over any other types of bumps or potholes. But if you think its still loose, I'll look at it again and maybe swap out with the new endlink. Maybe its the sway bar now and not the link?

OP
OP
alao01

alao01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-L
Country flag
Another thing to mention if it could a possibility is the nut that I replaced it with is a 15mm but it seems to fit the exact same as the original 14mm it replaced, which I still have.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/whl-kll122?seid=srese1

You can see them here. They aren't anything special, it's just a set of clamps that screw onto the bar to locate it against the bushings. If you want to save $28+shipping you could probably fabricate something that will accomplish the same thing with some help from ye olde local hardware store.

OP
OP
alao01

alao01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-L
Country flag
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/whl-kll122?seid=srese1

You can see them here. They aren't anything special, it's just a set of clamps that screw onto the bar to locate it against the bushings. If you want to save $28+shipping you could probably fabricate something that will accomplish the same thing with some help from ye olde local hardware store.
Ok I'll look into these. Have you tried them before?

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Ok I'll look into these. Have you tried them before?
No, like I said I got a Progress bar because it had locator rings built into it. If you search the forum you can find some threads about the whiteline bars and these rings.

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag
No, like I said I got a Progress bar because it had locator rings built into it. If you search the forum you can find some threads about the whiteline bars and these rings.
I seem to remember that the locator rings were needed for the front whiteline sway bar. Haven't had any problems with my rear bar, but I did also use the Accord endlinks.

OP
OP
alao01

alao01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-L
Country flag
I can see the swaybar is off center on the right side because of the grease, do I need to loosen the swaybar bracket and realign and then put on the lateral locks or will it realign itself if I only put the locks on?

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I can see the swaybar is off center on the right side because of the grease, do I need to loosen the swaybar bracket and realign and then put on the lateral locks or will it realign itself if I only put the locks on?
You should be able to push it by hand with a little grunt to recenter it. It needs to be centered before you put the rings on.

OP
OP
alao01

alao01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-L
Country flag
You should be able to push it by hand with a little grunt to recenter it. It needs to be centered before you put the rings on.
Ok i'll try that. My rings should arrive this wednesday. Tightened up both endlinks, still clunking so we'll see how it goes.

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had the whiteline 22mm rsb, clunked for about 6 months. tried two different endlinks, extra grease, everything. then i just took a three foot breaker bar and stood on the end to tighten the nut. did the trick for me

OP
OP
alao01

alao01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-L
Country flag
I had the whiteline 22mm rsb, clunked for about 6 months. tried two different endlinks, extra grease, everything. then i just took a three foot breaker bar and stood on the end to tighten the nut. did the trick for me
How were you able to reach it from that angle and stand on it? Lol or was the bar adjustable on the end? Because its a tight fit in that space...
Sponsored