ibgm101

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sense 2.0
Country flag
Hey guys, this is my first Honda. It's a '16 Civic EX. I notice that every time I hit the brakes, the rear camera come's on. Has anyone else experienced this? I've heard of software bugs with the Radio/Computer and I think there is an update available. I'm just wondering before I take it in if anyone else has had similar issues. I scrolled through every menu I could find, to see if it I could disable it, but found nothing. Really irritating at stop lights when I want to play with the Stereo! I checked the rear lights, all look normal. Appreciate any and all feedback, and thanks for accepting my request to join!!
Sponsored

brienp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I dont have this problem. I wish I had a way of turning it on while driving like you can do with the passenger side camera. I often turn the passenger side camera on before signaling a lane change just to see what cars are behind me and where. Would be nice to get a good picture of all the lanes behind me and what crazy drivers are weaving in and out of traffic before I decide to think about switching lanes.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Any warranty from the dealer ?

Or system need a reset ?

OP
OP

ibgm101

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Any warranty from the dealer ?

Or system need a reset ?
I'm going in hopefully next week for the software update. I tried rebooting, it didn't do anything. I thought it was kinda cool at first, because it would be good to see what's coming up from behind you. But when you want to adjust the radio or do anything else on the stereo unit you can't. It disables everything. I'll let everyone know what the solution is when I find out...

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
It would be cool to put [whatever the problem is] on a switch to get that effect when desired

Preacher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EXT
Country flag
I'm surprised there isn't a hack for this, it would be helpful to be able to turn the camera on.

himecraig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mercedes 320slk 08 Ford Ranger fx4 17 Acura RDX adv 17 Honda Civic Hatch ex-l ns
Country flag
I'm surprised there isn't a hack for this, it would be helpful to be able to turn the camera on.
Did the hack work on this accord lol

OP
OP

ibgm101

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Look a Hack to me but I'm not a expert
SOLVED!!!
I went in to the trunk and started pulling off the hold down tabs to remove the insulation so I could get a better view of the wiring. Everything looked good, then I noticed an octopus of ground wires on the front rail. they are all connected to a common type lug that has a bolt going through them attaching the ground. I took the bolt out and attached a wire with an alligator clip to the ground cluster and connected the other end to the tailgate latch and it fixed everything! So, upon further inspection, the bolt that held that ground cluster on, had a washer, and there was something on it, preventing the ground from being completed. I put a new bolt on and I am back in business. No more camera when I hit the brakes. I didn't notice before, but it was also causing the opposite rear light to flash when I used a directional. If I put the right directional on, the orange directional would flash like it's supposed to, but on the opposite side, the brake light would flash. I should have known it was a ground issue. The grounds create the most problems.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
SOLVED!!!
I went in to the trunk and started pulling off the hold down tabs to remove the insulation so I could get a better view of the wiring. Everything looked good, then I noticed an octopus of ground wires on the front rail. they are all connected to a common type lug that has a bolt going through them attaching the ground. I took the bolt out and attached a wire with an alligator clip to the ground cluster and connected the other end to the tailgate latch and it fixed everything! So, upon further inspection, the bolt that held that ground cluster on, had a washer, and there was something on it, preventing the ground from being completed. I put a new bolt on and I am back in business. No more camera when I hit the brakes. I didn't notice before, but it was also causing the opposite rear light to flash when I used a directional. If I put the right directional on, the orange directional would flash like it's supposed to, but on the opposite side, the brake light would flash. I should have known it was a ground issue. The grounds create the most problems.

So it was a bad ground !

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Bad grounds can be tough to find. I lucked out on this one. I was dreading taking it to the steelership!
Do you know why ground was bad ? Any rust or ...?
Until you don't know you may have another bad ground at same place in few years

OP
OP

ibgm101

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you know why ground was bad ? Any rust or ...?
Until you don't know you may have another bad ground at same place in few years
No rust. It was all because of the washer on the bolt. It had something on it. It looked like epoxy or something. I found this pic on the internet. This shows the ground assembly I was speaking of. They are all connected and have one bolt that goes through the center. New bolt, no more problems. It originally started out intermittently, then got worse. Thought it might have been the radio system. Glad it wasn't
Honda Civic 10th gen Rear Camera Issues s-l1600

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No rust. It was all because of the washer on the bolt. It had something on it. It looked like epoxy or something. I found this pic on the internet. This shows the ground assembly I was speaking of. They are all connected and have one bolt that goes through the center. New bolt, no more problems. It originally started out intermittently, then got worse. Thought it might have been the radio system. Glad it wasn't
s-l1600.jpg

Varnish or paint on washer or poxy work as insulation. To be safe for car life , I'll use lockwasher with the bolt.

Where is this ground bolt on the trunk , sides , front ( back of the seats ) or body close to the camera ?

I did not see a ground assembly, do you ?

OP
OP

ibgm101

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Varnish or paint on washer or poxy work as insulation. To be safe for car life , I'll use lockwasher with the bolt.

Where is this ground bolt on the trunk , sides , front ( back of the seats ) or body close to the camera ?

I did not see a ground assembly, do you ?
The ground assembly is in the upper right corner of the picture. It's the brass connector with 4 ground wires attached to it. Lockwasher is a good idea, I used one.
Sponsored