Biff_Inglewood_420_69

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mazda Miata, 2016 Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen
Country flag
Couldn't find the original hose, but I bent one of the Mishimoto ones around to reconnect the stock pathway. Noise entirely gone.

I formed a theory about this after reading MAPerformance's article about their catch can development here: https://www.maperformance.com/blogs/tech/honda-l15b7-1-5t-pcv-system-testing-and-observations

It seems like the PCV system will open and close depending on what the turbo is doing. The clicking and rattling, I suspect, was this system opening and closing to regulate pressures. With the stock routing, this clicking is muted by the sound damping of the engine bay. However, it is no longer subject to the sound damping materials once it is routed through a catch can that is directly mounted to the drumhead that is the firewall.

I'm pretty sure my theory is sound, but it's not like I'm a mechanical engineer or something... Or wait, yes I am. Either way, the sound is gone with the stock routing, so... I guess don't buy a catch can that mounts directly to the firewall? Or, based on MAPerformance's observations, just leave it stock.

Thanks for reading!

Honda Civic 10th gen Really weird idle when warm, unpredictable 20210306_145816
Sponsored