Realistically what could I sell my 2020 R for?

GeezR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Type R, Caterham, VW Touareg, Chevy Volt
Country flag
I traded my '19 R in on a new car last year with similar mileage. The dealer gave me almost what I paid for the R. I got a new car, that listed for more than what I paid for the R, plus $500 cash as the car I traded for was selling at a discount from list.
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I traded my '19 R in on a new car last year with similar mileage. The dealer gave me almost what I paid for the R. I got a new car, that listed for more than what I paid for the R, plus $500 cash as the car I traded for was selling at a discount from list.
But do you regret it? :eek: lol!

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My sister has two young boys and she struggles to fit everything in her Santa Fe Sport, which has twice the cargo capacity my CTR did, so I can understand the sentiment with needing more space. Not to mention, a quieter and more calm ride usually is better for kids than one filled with road noise and wind noise.

You could probably get MSRP for it if I'm being honest. The market is crazy hot right now.

GeezR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Type R, Caterham, VW Touareg, Chevy Volt
Country flag
No regrets. The R may have been the best street car I ever owned, and that includes a then-new '08 BMW M3. But I already have some street cars, so I was looking for something more track oriented. And as has been well documented here, the R just collapses on track after a few laps and the $ of fixing all of its track issues was too much $/time/hassle/voided warranty, you name it.

IF I was only allowed to own one car tho, I would have kept the R.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
Unless you have more than 2 kids, you don't need a bigger car - enjoy the car - it's reasonable, practical, and still fun and reliable. People always freak out when a kid is on the way like the world is ending and you need to supersize everything.

Car is plenty big bud, enjoy the little things in life like having a fun family car imo.
Yeah, I have 2 kids and the Type R was always plenty big enough.

Now we have a third kid on the way I did end up selling it...no way to fit 3 car seats back there lol

8409_CW

First Name
Kabir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 1992 Civic HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Used to put my 2 kids in a 94 Civic hatchback and now in my CTR. It’s really not hard.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
It's harder when you have other members of family to drive around and you're car is maxed by car seats. Yes, many people are find with a regular hatch and 2 kids, but for others the situation can be vastly different.

Good luck with the next car OP

Masmackles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Type R weighs around 200 lbs more than a regular hatchback. I believe Honda reduced the cargo capacity a similar amount - which is minus 1 human + luggage.
That makes sense I was trying to figure out why I can barely fit 3 adults in this lmao (weight wise not space)

hooger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R (Sold)
Country flag
I'm in Ontario as well and sold my 2020 Boost Blue with 6000km on it for $46k back in early September.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
What is the purpose for being Gungho on a car just to sell it months later? i know situations change but damn how could you let this hell of a car go? Make a way to keep the last great FWD turbo charged platform in your inventory....After this car its done.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What is the purpose for being Gungho on a car just to sell it months later? i know situations change but damn how could you let this hell of a car go? Make a way to keep the last great FWD turbo charged platform in your inventory....After this car its done.
I used to think this way... thinking I wouldn't be able to enjoy any other car like my Type R. Once I got over it though, I found that I was overthinking things.

I found out there's other ways of enjoying a car than just raw driving feel. I will say though, doubt I will find anything that drove like my Type R did! But for long cruising and adventuring off the beaten path (only slightly though), I love my Mazda3 more in that regard.

hooger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R (Sold)
Country flag
A few things - The transmission was a huge letdown, I had the second gear grind and 5-4 lockout before and after switching to GM Synchromesh fluid. The shifts were crunchy/felt awful 50% of the time. The trans really took the fun and enjoyment out of the experience. There was always a wonder of what am I gonna get this shift? A crunch, a grind, a lockout?

I really thought Honda would've fixed the common Type R issues like transmission and overheating with the 2020 facelift but nope.

What pushed me over the edge to sell the car though was that I could still get my money back on it - the 2020 MSRP in Canada was 45,800 and I sold it for 46K. Essentially, I enjoyed 6000KM on a Type R all summer with no depreciation.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
A few things - The transmission was a huge letdown, I had the second gear grind and 5-4 lockout before and after switching to GM Synchromesh fluid. The shifts were crunchy/felt awful 50% of the time. The trans really took the fun and enjoyment out of the experience. There was always a wonder of what am I gonna get this shift? A crunch, a grind, a lockout?

I really thought Honda would've fixed the common Type R issues like transmission and overheating with the 2020 facelift but nope.

What pushed me over the edge to sell the car though was that I could still get my money back on it - the 2020 MSRP in Canada was 45,800 and I sold it for 46K. Essentially, I enjoyed 6000KM on a Type R all summer with no depreciation.
You had a lemon or something then - shifts like glass here 24/7 - find these transmissions need a couple thousand on them to break in after that they really shine (at least mine has)

Never had a lockout
Slight grind a few times when new-er - now - never

Didn't change fluids or anything - still running original transmission fluid sitting at 10k miles now.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
You had a lemon or something then - shifts like glass here 24/7 - find these transmissions need a couple thousand on them to break in after that they really shine (at least mine has)

Never had a lockout
Slight grind a few times when new-er - now - never

Didn't change fluids or anything - still running original transmission fluid sitting at 10k miles now.
I had lockouts and grinds up until around 12k miles. They're all gone now. Though I'm sitting at 50k miles now.
Sponsored