Realistic expectations for a daily driver

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
Almost 6 months into ownership I notice a couple rock chips, really minor ones on the front lip below fog lights, and one on the rear door. Some scratches, two I used touch up paint on and it looks decent...depending on the lighting. Black looks so good after it's washed and waxed, but it's a pain in the ass to maintain. It's kept in a garage, except at work during weekdays. This is my 1st brand new car. I want it to be perfect, and last 10+ years. Doesn't help the roads here are crumbling. Are my expectations too high for a daily driver? Sometimes I can't wait until this car's an old beater, because I won't have to worry about it so much.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Eric29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
It is disturbing on a new car when it gets chipped. Those minor chips happen. My 2006 civic lasted 10 years.

My 2016 civic is black, and it doesn’t seem to be a problem to maintain it. Actually, I seldom wash or wax mine and it looks good. I go over it once in a while with a California duster. Maybe my standards are lower.

skshrews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura 2005 TSX, Honda Civic Hatchback LX 6MT 2017
Country flag
"Are my expectations too high for a daily driver?"
Yes. I bought my car and just counted the days to the first "trauma". About 4 weeks into ownership, scuffed one of the wheels.
Reality is often disappointing.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
yes it's going to get dings and dents. welcome to the real world. mine's two years old and it has these dimples in the body, on the sides in the front fenders. don't know how they got there. there not dents, just these like indentations as if somebody pushed their knuckle into it. maybe it's thin sheet metal. Just ignore this stuff.

Goseki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring
Country flag
Someone smacked my bumper 48 hours in so..... the lesson I took away is that shit happens. I'm a bit paranoid still, but at least it does make small chips and scratches kind of whatever now.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Almost 6 months into ownership I notice a couple rock chips, really minor ones on the front lip below fog lights, and one on the rear door. Some scratches, two I used touch up paint on and it looks decent...depending on the lighting. Black looks so good after it's washed and waxed, but it's a pain in the ass to maintain. It's kept in a garage, except at work during weekdays. This is my 1st brand new car. I want it to be perfect, and last 10+ years. Doesn't help the roads here are crumbling. Are my expectations too high for a daily driver? Sometimes I can't wait until this car's an old beater, because I won't have to worry about it so much.
Perfect as no rock chip and perfect orignal paint? Yes.

I understand that your protective toward the car as we bought our first 2 brand news car in 2016 and 2017 too. But as a daily driver, it will get something no matter what. Our first brand new car, a 2016 HRV, becomes salvage because a 20 years old sorority girl lives across the street suddenly forget how to park and back into it while my car was perfectly parked...

Just relax my friend.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
[QUOTE=" Are my expectations too high for a daily driver?n[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Chief 08

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
The paint on these Hondas is thin, and soft. I highly recommend Dr. Chip Fix for filling rock chips, it blends in much better than touch up paint. Also, you may want to consider paint protection film (PPF).

Last edited:

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I’ve had my car for 10 months

In 10 months I have:

1. Blown out a tire
2. Had my front windshield replaced
3. Scuffed my rims
4. Noticed 3 scratches

The point:

Shit happens.

The bright side:

1. My car is 5 star safety rated
2. My car is fuel efficient and a blast to drive
3. It’s just a car, and a reminder of why I’ll never waste money on a “fancy” car
4. Life’s good.

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Why not get a clear film applied to the bumper, hood and front fenders? I did that on a BMW M235i I owned and it was awesome. Virtually invisible and the 3M wrap would "self heal" for small dings in the heat.

LightX

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
going into my 6th month ownership as well. A guy backed up his miata and his rear bumper corner hit the rims and left paint/marks on my rims... and then just recently, I hit a 4 feet plastic pole or whatever and it completely chip the paint and probably dents on the front bumper and all the way to the hood, leaving a pretty big dent... Welp, it's my daily and I got full-boltons with E85 and still drive like a champ. It's what matters on the inside, not the outside because everyone will see and touch it you know.

2tango2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX- Lunar Silver
Country flag
About a week into owning the car I had to replace the windshield.....then I hit some some stuff at night that car at normal height probably would have passed over. Scuffed the underside of the bumper a little.

I commute 100 miles per day r/t almost 98% highway. Bottom line is no matter what I do this car will see some pretty good wear and tear especially with the winter months coming.

Certain things are out of your hands so you do the best you can but in the end it is what it is.
Sponsored