Ruppdogg78

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Accord, 2012 Civic EX, 2018 Civic SI
Country flag
So I did a thing and I'm ready to do more things.

I have a 2018 Si and recently at 46XXX miles, installed a new tire and rim package. At this point I've decided that little to no car payment is better than the trade in for a Type R although I go back and forth every time I drive by a Honda Dealer.

Since day one I've wanted to add mods to this car. My goal is stock +. The performance pulled out of this small engine is amazing but I am looking to maintain the daily driver vibe for the most part. I want to mod to a point before a flex fuel kit is required. The concern at this stage are mods that make sense and don't create major bottlenecks. I've done quite a bit of reading on an Si Facebook page, CivicX, and Reddit. I am not a mechanic but I can perform most of my work excluding major engine overhauls. Any input is appreciated.

My starting point will be purchasing a KTuner V1.2 from phearable.net. Please correct me if I am wrong, it looks like I will get the phearable stage 1.5, no god mode and all the base maps that come with KTuner itself. This should be a major improvement to start with. I will probably make that purchase this weekend.

I've hemmed and hawed over the PRL vs 27one CAI. Reading tens of posts, the PRL Cobra is likely the number 1 kit on the market. My concern is living in Central Florida, the number one Hurricane and rainstorm capitol of the world. I plan on purchasing what looks to be the number 2 kit, 27won. If I am not planning on upgrading the Turbo or moving into the flex fuel arena, would the 27won with street MAF suffice? I plan on making this purchase before the end of the month. The CAI and eventually their Turbo Inlet are mostly aesthetic upgrades for me.

Here is where my bottleneck concerns begin. Once I go with 27won, I will stick with the brand for the next few upgrades. Question is, do I really need to upgrade each item?
27won Front Pipe, Down Pipe, FMIC.
I could see the FMIC being an improvement for the Florida heat but I do not track. I like to drive spiritedly on the highway and plan on having a bit of fun on the Dragon (within my abilities).

I don't plan on a huge upgrade to the stock exhaust although I have considered replacing the tips and having a shop install a single performance muffler (I like the HDMI tip but hate the fact that the sport model has it as well). Not sure this would have an impact to the car other than sound.

Eventually, if a solid aftermarket clutch comes out I will upgrade when required. If not, I plan on doing the Type R retrofit, haven't read anything negative so far and the cost isn't so bad it's off the table. As far as brakes go, the Genesis retrofit seems to be the path that would make the most sense for me.

If you've made it this far, appreciate the time and any input. For the Black Sedan I saw in Titusville the other day, I noticed your PRL FMIC and knew I didn't have a chance.

Thanks!!!

Edited to add a couple photos.

Honda Civic 10th gen Ready to get my hands dirty. 20210213_161044

Honda Civic 10th gen Ready to get my hands dirty. 20210616_200649

Honda Civic 10th gen Ready to get my hands dirty. 20210618_092950

Old F@rt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, 2016 Z51 Stingray, 2006 Tundra
Country flag
Just wanted to add my 0.02 about your CAI decisions. Don't let our Florida monsoons (Yes I live here too) sway your decision about he intake. I have the PRL Cobra Race & also cut away the front fake grill vent to allow in even more cool air (which has helped when getting on it). I've driven in some major downpours & not had any issues. When it gets really bad, I just back off & take it easy until weather improves. I've checked the filter after getting home & it's fine, even with the vent opened up. So hope this helps put you at ease.

For me a FMIC is absolutely needed- even without a tune. (I went Injen type with Injen charge pipes, but anything is better than stock) I noticed a huge improvement in inlet temps with an aftermarket FMIC. The harder the car is pushed, the better the CAI & FMIC work together to pull temps down & anything is a plus in our weather.

A DP ( I went with RV6 catted) does make a big improvement to sound & performance

As you can see I'm not brand loyal- I research & then make a decision based on reviews, price, etc

Hopefully this gets the ball rolling & others will chime in. Here are a couple pics to show the fake vent opened up, to match the horn side (which I removed a couple extra honeycombs from ). When driving hard, my intake temp will sit at between 3-5degs above ambient. Love your red Coupe!!! I may be biased ;)

Honda Civic 10th gen Ready to get my hands dirty. 20210703_113601

Honda Civic 10th gen Ready to get my hands dirty. 20210703_113626

Honda Civic 10th gen Ready to get my hands dirty. 20210703_113648

Honda Civic 10th gen Ready to get my hands dirty. 20210703_113601

Honda Civic 10th gen Ready to get my hands dirty. 20210703_113626

OP
OP
Ruppdogg78

Ruppdogg78

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Really dig your front lip. It's subtle, love to know what brand. I did a more reading and thinking over the last week. I knew I was going with the phearable tune but I didn't want to purchase it setup with a specific CAI and then run it without.

When I bought my 2018 until I moved in 2019, I was driving 33 to 35k miles a year. After going through so many hurricane seasons and trying to navigate flooded SR 44, 46, and Maytown road on the coast I figured 27won was my best bet. Thinking back on my drive for the last two years I went ahead and purchased KTuner from phearable last night along with the PRL Race Cobra. Since my goal is a spirited daily driver, I'll see how this feels for the time being. Plan on taming the dragon next month so it should be a good setup for now.

Appreciate your input.

Beholder84

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Nice coupe! I would love to get more of the 27WON parts, but they just can't keep things in stock unfortunately and I'm impatient. I have their CAI and it does it's job, but will be looking for an intercooler at some point too. The KTuner is worth it, although I didn't get mine through Phearable and just use a basemap for now.

What wheels are those?

04sthemi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI, 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Country flag
Ah maytown rd lol, have a buddy With some property off there that we go shooting on. Hello from port orange ? I see the grom, I been really wanting to pull the trigger on one to accompany my wr 250

Old F@rt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, 2016 Z51 Stingray, 2006 Tundra
Country flag
Really dig your front lip. It's subtle, love to know what brand. I did a more reading and thinking over the last week. I knew I was going with the phearable tune but I didn't want to purchase it setup with a specific CAI and then run it without.

When I bought my 2018 until I moved in 2019, I was driving 33 to 35k miles a year. After going through so many hurricane seasons and trying to navigate flooded SR 44, 46, and Maytown road on the coast I figured 27won was my best bet. Thinking back on my drive for the last two years I went ahead and purchased KTuner from phearable last night along with the PRL Race Cobra. Since my goal is a spirited daily driver, I'll see how this feels for the time being. Plan on taming the dragon next month so it should be a good setup for now.

Appreciate your input.

The lip is Honda OEM front lip. Should be able to get it from your local Dealer. You'll love the Cobra intake.

Augenauf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
OP
OP
Ruppdogg78

Ruppdogg78

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Appreciate the link for the lip and love the fact that so many SI drivers are located in Central Florida.

I tuned today. Installed my Cobra CAI Race MAF last night. I was so excited I couldn't sleep and started the tune process at 0450 this morning. Typical to my life, it went to shit. Big thanks to phearable.net for being patient and corresponding through email. I honestly thought I had my ECU number correct but apparently It was incorrect in my order. Once the issue was determined, they sent a new file. It uploaded on the first try. Thanks again.

Drove it around a little bit and it puts a smile on my face. I played with map 3 for a short while but plan on sticking to MAP 2. Oh, and is it launch control? I'm at a stop, push the gas and it sticks at 3k rpm. Something tells me that isn't too good for the engine but damn is it fun.

Thanks!
Sponsored