Re: FasTrak and windshield mount location?

geekzilla

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Anyone - especially in the SF East Bay - install their FasTrak transponder on the blacked out section of the windshield above the rearview mirror? I'd like to use that area to hide the transponder a bit - but am worried signal would be blocked. Anyone do this and can report whether it works or not?
Sponsored

lurker_j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 WOP FC1
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Anyone - especially in the SF East Bay - install their FasTrak transponder on the blacked out section of the windshield above the rearview mirror? I'd like to use that area to hide the transponder a bit - but am worried signal would be blocked. Anyone do this and can report whether it works or not?
When I was still the Bay Area, I didn't like my FT mounted, so I would just pull it out and hold it in my hand near the window when going through toll.
Why don't you just try going through the toll without mounting it first, but holding it in the position you're talking about and see if the transponder beeps. Worst case scenario, it doesn't beep, but they will still charge your account based off the license plate anyway, so it wouldn't matter as long as your car is actually registered to a FT transponder.

EastBayCivic

First Name
DerekZoolander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I hadn't mounted mine so I left it on the dashboard so I could keep my hands free. I went through a toll and it didnt beep. A few weeks later I got a toll evasion notice for $26!

Instead of paying the fee they let me add my license plate to my account so I can still pay even if my transponder doesnt beep (my other car was the only one listed on the account up to this point).

My advice to you is to just add the car's license plate to your account and then try mounting it in the black spot. That black spot worked on my other car though!

jayzon831

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic hatchback sport cvt, 2003 Acura RSX (totaled)
Country flag
I just leave my Fastrak in my glove box. Some times it beeps, sometimes it doesn't. Best way is to just add your license plate to your account online and not worry about it. No need to mount and display that ugly device.

Reactions: MGZ

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
In NH we have EZPass. On my Lexus I have it installed right in the black area behind the rear view mirror and it works every time.

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, Previously 2016 EX-L (50k miles)
Country flag
I just leave my Fastrak in my glove box. Some times it beeps, sometimes it doesn't. Best way is to just add your license plate to your account online and not worry about it. No need to mount and display that ugly device.
I do the same thing! Maybe I've been lucky but it usually just works for me while it's sitting in there, even though I don't always hear it beep. I haven't had any evasion letters sent to me since I got my car in febraury and I haven't added the plate number to my account yet.

dalaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan EX-T 6-Speed Manual
Country flag
Yes it works. Fastrak mounted behind the black dots.

Honda Civic 10th gen Re: FasTrak and windshield mount location? 1A12243C-C21D-4195-871F-A0CBBF8B5073

himecraig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mercedes 320slk 08 Ford Ranger fx4 17 Acura RDX adv 17 Honda Civic Hatch ex-l ns
Country flag
Now with pay as you go fasttrak lanes you need to set the fastrak switch to 1-2-3 passengers on certain parts of our HOV lanes since different rates, people or times may apply.
Dangerous to whip it out while at freeway speed to set the passenger count and if hidden you may be charged as a single driver and not as a carpool.

Over the Benicia there are no slow/full speed lanes...I shake my head as my friends at full speed reach for their transponder hold it up with one hand or toss it on the dash and have it fall on the floor while driving.
Get one at Costco...skinny small with the 1-2-3 settings and fastrak gives you some free bonus toll money.

Honda Civic 10th gen Re: FasTrak and windshield mount location? 4E3DF167-CE26-45E5-895A-D855119DB354

Last edited:
OP
OP
geekzilla

geekzilla

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks to all who replied. Sounds like mounting the transponder is the safer choice and it works fine through the black part of the window. THANKS!

davefromca

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX - 6 spd
Country flag
You can always add the license plates of the cars on your account to fastrak, that way if the transponder doesn’t beep, the camera will capture with license plate number and bill you automatically. We use this to cross the benicia bridge, I wouldn’t recommend it for the express lanes in Dublin/San Jose however.
Sponsored