Re-enabling O2 sensor for inspection

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
If someone hypothetically had an aftermarket DP with a defouler and was running a tune with their O2 sensor disabled, what would the process be for getting the O2 sensor to ready as "Ready" for NY State inspections? They would have hypothetically already re-enabled the sensor in Flashpro Manager by flashing a basemap with the sensor activated, but are now getting mix messages from Google on what to do from here. Some things say that such a person would just need to drive for 30ish miles and the O2 sensor will reset and show ready, while others indicate that they would need to do some special procedure where they speed up and slow down in specific sequence until the sensor resets. Can anyone clarify what they did?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
As an aside, does this person do all their hypothetical speeding in "Mexico"?

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
If someone hypothetically had an aftermarket DP with a defouler and was running a tune with their O2 sensor disabled, what would the process be for getting the O2 sensor to ready as "Ready" for NY State inspections? They would have hypothetically already re-enabled the sensor in Flashpro Manager by flashing a basemap with the sensor activated, but are now getting mix messages from Google on what to do from here. Some things say that such a person would just need to drive for 30ish miles and the O2 sensor will reset and show ready, while others indicate that they would need to do some special procedure where they speed up and slow down in specific sequence until the sensor resets. Can anyone clarify what they did?
Nobody’s really sure what exact cycle you do to get it to readiness the fastest, just drive around, but your hypothetical person can check the status of the monitors the techs use by going to the Online menu, OBD2 diagnostics, readiness tab.

This hypothetical person also needs to re enable the CELs under the OBD2 error code section, not just re enable the sensor.

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I thought the O2 sensor wasn't disabled with Hondata, it just disabled the CEL....?

Shows what I know lol

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I thought the O2 sensor wasn't disabled with Hondata, it just disabled the CEL....?

Shows what I know lol
The emissions system will show as "not ready" with the CEL disabled and can't be tested / will automatically fail because of that.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

Shows what I know lol
There’s a checkbox for it that is separate from the CELs but even Hondata isn’t sure if it truly disables it. I never use it on my tunes.

MrHump

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FC1
Country flag
I just did my first NY inspection and it failed because emissions wasn’t calibrated (disconnected the battery yesterday).

Im not tuned or anything and not throwing a Cel.... still failed.
I drove 80 miles today and am getting reinspected in the AM. I can update then if you want.

2018 SI BTW

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nobody’s really sure what exact cycle you do to get it to readiness the fastest, just drive around, but your hypothetical person can check the status of the monitors the techs use by going to the Online menu, OBD2 diagnostics, readiness tab.

This hypothetical person also needs to re enable the CELs under the OBD2 error code section, not just re enable the sensor.
When I open up the error code window it currently appears blank. Does that mean that I'm good with just the one checkbox?

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just did my first NY inspection and it failed because emissions wasn’t calibrated (disconnected the battery yesterday).

Im not tuned or anything and not throwing a Cel.... still failed.
I drove 80 miles today and am getting reinspected in the AM. I can update then if you want.

2018 SI BTW
Please do, thanks.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
typically driving in the city and driving on the freeway for a bit will set your obd2 readiness monitors.

you can always check in the flashpro if its ready or by putting the car in the on position and looking at the CEL light on the dash.

MrHump

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FC1
Country flag
typically driving in the city and driving on the freeway for a bit will set your obd2 readiness monitors.

you can always check in the flashpro if its ready or by putting the car in the on position and looking at the CEL light on the dash.
my car failed and didn’t have a CEL on the dash.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
my car failed and didn’t have a CEL on the dash.
just cause you dont have a cel on, that doesnt mean your readiness are set.

i meant that if you dont have a flashpro or some kind of obd2 reader that can check readiness, you can check to see if your monitors are set by looking at the cel. By putting car in the ON position (engine off) and waiting, the CEL will be on initially and then turn off after a while.
if the monitors are not set, the CEL will flash a few times. The downside to that is you dont know which of the monitors are not set.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks all. I'm going to go for a drive after work to see if I can get the sensor to reset. Usually my defouler works to keep CEL's off for a while, but there's always the chance that it can trip randomly, so I might have to do this a few times.

saint365

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks all. I'm going to go for a drive after work to see if I can get the sensor to reset. Usually my defouler works to keep CEL's off for a while, but there's always the chance that it can trip randomly, so I might have to do this a few times.

Hello, My Emission is due in soon. did you figure it out? I'm thinking of installing Defouler for my catted PRL DP
Sponsored